Ivy Removal from House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Just had a quote to remove some ivy from my house £180..
Apparently will take 1.5hrs

Is it literally just ladder and pull out or is there some complex method?

Cheers

I need to get the ivy off my garden walls regularly, it just pulls off, the knack is to make sure you take off all the small pieces of root that invariable remain stuck to the wall after the bulk of it has been pulled away. Do not think there is anything magical otherwise, unless someone knows better.

It's really easy. Ivy doesn't grip that tight. It also breaks pretty easily. I've just taken a load off my garage.

It's really easy. Ivy doesn't grip that tight. It also breaks pretty easily. I've just taken a load off my garage.

Oh right.. seems this company are a rip off then..

Will just tear the stuff off my self.. need to buy a ladder :) but the £180 should cover that haha

Before image-626292765.jpg After. Took under two hours. image-3651286018.jpg

The ivy had held any water and the wood behind was rotten.

£180.. Apparently will take 1.5hrs

That's £120 an hour.

Are you sure you didn't ask the Mercedes main dealer for a quote by mistake?

How much ivy do you have? If it is growing over a house wall then I dont think £180 is unreasonable if they guarantee it wont grow back.

Just cut the roots at the ground and walk backwards with it, might get more of it off than you think that way. As said it doesn't grip that tight.

Maybe cut the roots and leave it a few weeks to die, then it'll come off even easier.

I had ivy on a house I lived in a few years ago. I just cut some of the stems to thin it out and left it to die back on it's own.

Oh right.. seems this company are a rip off then..

Will just tear the stuff off my self.. need to buy a ladder :) but the £180 should cover that haha

If you have got to buy a ladder, I can recommend one of these
I bought mine from Screwfix but I don't think they sell them now.
Extremely stable a s large step ladder or a 3 section extending ladder. Wide base allows for adjustment to use on ground up to 6" out of level

We had it on our house and it was really hard to remove from the brickwork. I ended up using a wire brush to try and get the little 'feet' (or whatever they are called) off. It's evil stuff - it had got into the loft and even managed to penetrate a downstairs window frame, right through into the house.

So I would try a small bit yourself first and see how you get on. I would happily have paid £180!

This is the 'before':

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 32
Can't upload image to postimage.io as usual...

Tried this site above but it won't let me link the image directly
You need to click on the link :)

Cheers

That's got under the eaves an it will be a bugger to get out from where it has gone into the attic.
I'd still do it myself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom