Jacking points and welding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBhowden

Car
1993 220 CE
I'm going to need some welding done on the jacking points of my W124 Coupe, does anyone know of a welder in the East Yorkshire area, can go to Hull or Doncaster but would prefer local to Howden.

Also any idea of cost, I appreciate it depends on size of rust damage but a rough guide would be helpful.

Thanks

Rob

£50 per jacking point seems the going rate. MB do sell a repair section for the jacking points that might be useful if they're really bad.

Personnally think £50 is rather a conservative estimate, being as the outer sill has to be cut open just to access the jacking point, and the fact that the rust will rarely if ever limit itself to just the main support of the jacking point, I think £150-200 is more realistic, having seen the state of mine.

Thanks for your comments.

Just had a proper look and the two front ones are corroded all the way round and the back ones are only slightly better, now looking for a decent welder in Yorkshire, anyone know of anyone?

PM Ian Flannigan. Flanaia1 on here he will know of someone.

i did all four of mine, took around 1 hour to strip and then 2 hrs each, so at say 20 per hour is 160, plus consumables, would expect someone to do job for 220 for all four.

Thanks all for your advice and info.

I've been over the rest of the metalwork and the bodywork is tip top, new front wings and it has been resprayed in the not to distant past. The other area to do is under the water bottle, seems previous owners weren't bothered about what they couldn't see!

Drove a 150 mile round trip today and was smooth, no worrying rumbles or squeaks and everything mechanically seems to work too.

I had a rear jacking point done on one of my 190's a few years back ; fortunately it was just the outer sill crumbling around the hole and the actual jacking tube behind was sound .

My local MOT place charged me £30 or so .

I subsequently bought a MIG welder and can now do my own welding .

I had a rear jacking point done on one of my 190's a few years back ; fortunately it was just the outer sill crumbling around the hole and the actual jacking tube behind was sound .

My local MOT place charged me £30 or so .

I subsequently bought a MIG welder and can now do my own welding .

How easy or hard is it to learn MIG work ?

What's the hardest part of the job ?

pretty easy if you are "handy with the tools".

just get one and get stuck in is my motto.

and there's even a welding forum

MIG Welding Forum

lots of tips, tricks, advice on there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom