Jacking up rear of W212 and axle stands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
Just in case this is of any use, I had all my wheels off to paint calipers at the weekend. I used the jacking pad mid engine to place an axle stand under the front, but could not find anything similar on the rear.

In the end, i jacked up each side and placed axle stands as shown in the pics.

In case you are wondering, i went for cadbury purple - I think they came out very well.

Attachments

• axel2.jpg
    axel2.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 202
  • axle1.jpg
    axle1.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 148
  • cp1.jpg
    cp1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 139
Calipers looking good, that coluor is great :)

As for jacking up the rear, I'd have put the trolley jack under the diff to raise both sides then slip the stands under.

I've read conflicting views on using the diff to jack up?
My cheapo halfrauds jack does not extend that far in anyway.

I will be buying a proper low profile trolley jack, all my jacking up was done with the supplied MB jack!

I've read conflicting views on using the diff to jack up?
My cheapo halfrauds jack does not extend that far in anyway.

I will be buying a proper low profile trolley jack, all my jacking up was done with the supplied MB jack!

Yes, the conflict exists between MB, who say use the diff...and others who know better than MB.

Hi all, thread resurrection!

I'm needing to remove the rear wheels on my 2016 W212 E-Class so that I can paint the discs / rotors.

I've bought myself some rubber pucks designed to fit into the designated jacking points under the sill, but want to support the car on axle stands too.

This is my first rear wheel drive car so aren't sure where to locate the axle stands. Any advice?

W212 Underside (1)

W212 Underside (2)

W212 Underside (3)

I've seen some posts advising using the rear diff, but my trolley jack isn't low profile, plus it doesn't feel right supporting the car from a single central location.

I'll use the jacking points to lift the car up, but then need somewhere else to lower to car onto the axle stands.

I jack on the diff (or diff carrier, if the car has one), and place axle stands under the jack points - tends to leave the car more stable to withstand any pushing and pulling.

Yes.

Just a bit concerned that you probably haven't done this before and that W212s are rather large and heavy cars. You may well need a quality trolley jack to reach the diff. A Halfords or equivalent 2 ton one may not.

This older forum thread has some good advice contained within it: Safe use of jacks

I've been self servicing my cars for years, the last being a Skoda Superb, so equally as big, and probably just as heavy.

Being front wheel drive there were plenty of points to place axle stands at each corner, so I've only ever needed to jack one corner of the car up at a time.

I don't think my jack is low enough to get all the way under the diff, equally jacking the car up from a central point doesn't seem a good idea either.

Thread resurrection.. again!
Hi all, I have a set of rennstands by safe jacks and tried to lift both sides of my W212 but after lifting the first side the air suspension dropped too low on the opposite side to get the jack back under. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to lock out or counteract the suspension from doing this please? I’ve tried leaving the boot and drivers door open but that didn’t work. Thanks

Thread resurrection.. again!
Hi all, I have a set of rennstands by safe jacks and tried to lift both sides of my W212 but after lifting the first side the air suspension dropped too low on the opposite side to get the jack back under. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to lock out or counteract the suspension from doing this please? I’ve tried leaving the boot and drivers door open but that didn’t work. Thanks
Drive on to two bits of wood under the wheels , this gives you the necessary space :)

Drive on to two bits of wood under the wheels , this gives you the necessary space :)
I did think that but the suspension just kept dropping and dropping, the car looked great but I didn’t want it to bottom out lol. A Simple button somewhere would have been easier I guess

Maybe that's why it is recommended to lift the car centrally at each end rather that each side.
What does the user guide say about wheel changing?

I did think that but the suspension just kept dropping and dropping, the car looked great but I didn’t want it to bottom out lol. A Simple button somewhere would have been easier I guess
Buttons cost extra buddy , besides most people don’t do anything to their cars :)

Maybe that's why it is recommended to lift the car centrally at each end rather that each side.
What does the user guide say about wheel changing?
Owners manual obviously states to use front and rear side jacking points, using the supplied Jack. I believe my model has a front central point but the rear is on the diff and balls to that, that sounds like it has disaster written all over it lol. I’ll go with the wood option to maintain clearance. Cheers

As above...under the diff.

The only thing with the diff is the casing isn’t designed to support the weight of the car . Also if the diff is mounted in rubber bushes they could be damaged .

I have done it myself though .

Since most of my cars have towbars , I tend to lift by them .

If no towbar I will either try to lift by the rear subframe or , failing that each side separately under the lower wishbone/suspension arm , then stands in under the jacking points .

Yes, the conflict exists between MB, who say use the diff...and others who know better than MB.
It depends on the model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom