Jag to Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conbrue

Car
Jaguar XE RSport
Hi,

I currently have a lease Jag XE RSport which goes back in a month or so, really enjoyed it but now looking to own my own, I have a couple of questions please

my typical day is just round town, sometime drop the wife off on a busy commute to town about 12 miles round trip
Sometimes travel with work on motorways but not that often

I pay for my fuel (used to have a fuel card)

I have a drive so could easily charge at home (are they 3 pin?)

like to drive fast when the right moment arises (safely)...

is a Merc plug in Hybrid right for me please? Don’t know much about cars so need your advise please folks

ta, Conbrue

Hi,

I currently have a lease Jag XE RSport which goes back in a month or so, really enjoyed it but now looking to own my own, I have a couple of questions please

my typical day is just round town, sometime drop the wife off on a busy commute to town about 12 miles round trip
Sometimes travel with work on motorways but not that often

I pay for my fuel (used to have a fuel card)

is a Merc plug in Hybrid right for me please? Don’t know much about cars so need your advise please folks

ta, Conbrue
Horses for courses is the best answer! That said if buying new, hybrids might be ok as under warranty; out of Manufacturer's warranty a good extended warranty is essential due to potential repair costs. I think I would probably stick with petrol with your usage, though!

Ernie

Hello there. I bought a Jaguar xe sport 180 bhp in 2017 at a couple of months old with 11 miles on it. It was my 3rd Jaguar and I absolutely loved it, the Firenze red paint, lovely interior BUT I thought it was slow if I needed to overtake. We have a lot of tractors on the lanes where we are and it just never felt safe to pass (I would put the foot down and nothing would happen and then it would go. I traded it with less than 5k miles for a 2018 250d sport which was much nippier and still a lovely car. I did discuss ordering a new hybrid with the merc dealer but she actually warned me against them. She said they 'hadnt got them right yet' or something like that. I bought the 250 at a different dealer so she lost a sale but I was glad for the advice. They may have 'got them right' now. This was in 2018. I bought an Audi s3 in June 2019 but missed my merc so have just gone back to a merc. The new hybrid technology is expensive to repair but it doesn't matter if its new with a warranty. They were only just out when I was warned against one. Good luck in your search

Funny enough, our shortlist back in 2016 was either an XE V6S or a C350e hybrid. Two very different cars I know. Plumped for the MB in the end, largely because we do so few miles and our usage suits the hybrid pretty well.

Driving the hybrid has turned me into a proper old man though, I seem to obsess bout getting best economy now, which is a shame really, as it goes pretty well when prompted.

Given your low miles, I’d not contemplate a diesel based hybrid TBH, petrol is bad enough with low miles use but adding a diesel engine seems like a bad move.

Fair comment on the warranty, certainly a potential big risk in the event of problems. the MB currently has a 6 year 100000km warranty on battery and hybrid systems, but they offer zero cover for capacity loss, unlike I think all other manufacturers.

If I was looking now, I would 100% be buying a Tesla Model 3.

Your driving pattern points to a full-electric.

If you are generally happy with your XE, why not test drive an I-Pace? Even the government fleet has loads of them now.....(not that is a recommendation, as you and me are picking up the bill!)

If I was looking now, I would 100% be buying a Tesla Model 3.

A mate of mine to compliment his wife's P90D, just got a 3 fully loaded Long range Unicorn spec (red, white seats, tow bar, 19" performance style wheels) and whilst it's lovely, he's concidering selling it after he drove my AMG A35. Especially due to the interiors, the three is definitely minimal, IMHO, cheap feeling, boring and ugly as hell. It goes well but without any of the fun and drama of the dinosaur burner.

We will all end up there if they cannot deliver other carbon engineering solutions, so in the mean time, I will enjoy my pops and crackles.
21a8b270fc0e0293805037992b70bbf6.jpg
c723d240c7e77492403117c159a4b31b.jpg

If I was 30 years younger, I'd likely prefer the A35 to the 3, but not these days. I have other cars for those occasions where I want to be assaulted! :)

Styling is 100% subjective though, so only matters to the individual. I actually prefer the 3 to the AMG A class myself - not a fan of the aggressive , in your face, 'get out my way mate' styling of the latter, but to each their own. At least we still have some choices in life.

Hi,

ta, Conbrue
The sales lady may have warned you off as delivery times for the plug-in hybrids were ridiculous last year. I looked to replace my E350e last July and earliest delivery was March this year. For that reason I went for a BMW 530e.
I had a C350e from Sept 2015 and the E350e from March 2018. They were faultless and I only left Mercedes due to having to change the car this year for tax purposes.
The latest Merc plug-ins have improved real world mileage ranges over the 2018 versions. I believe the E300e and therefore the C300e have the same range as my 530e - even with this cold weather between 20 - 25 miles. Since getting the car I have averaged 65mpg (plus cost of electric) over mixed driving of 1,200 miles. Not bad in the temperatures we have had.
As Chris said, the Merc hybrid warranty isn’t as good as the BMW. Whilst both cover the same time / mileage the BMW one covers against depletion more than 70% whereas Merc’s only warranty a total failure.
The latest cars will take an age to charge on a 3 pin, the government grant is still available for a home charger - up to £ 500. I’ve had mine for over 4 years - faultless.
I bought my cars for tax purposes but wouldn’t buy anything else now - 0 to 60 about 6s, very economical if you are doing the right mix of driving, no concerns about in future being banned from city / town centres and hours of fun if you like messing about with the tech to improve the consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom