Jag XF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone owned one? I’m eyeing one up as a motorway mile muncher.

I've owned an XF SV8 for around 18 months and an XFR for 2 years.

What year are you looking at?

What to look for:
  • With the car locked and the remote fobs out of range try opening all the doors. If one/more open then the door lock mechanism needs replacing.
  • If it's a premium model check all of the door card tops as the manufacture did a poor job of gluing it down and in cold weather it lifts and looks horrible Door cards January 2017
  • The rear brakes can wear out faster than the fronts due to the stability control system so check they have some meat on them.
  • Check all of the windows go down fully and can be returned to fully closed a few times. The window mechanisms can go crazy and it gets tricky to return the widow to fully closed without it returning to fully open by itself.
  • Older cars are known to de-laminate around the edge of the windscreen.
  • Some of the wheel types are quite soft so check for any damage.
  • The parking sensors can fail which causes the parking camera to become unavailable. Put the car in reverse a few times as it can be intermittent.
  • Check all four rotating air vents in the dash work as the mechanism can fail due to being cheap plastic. Only requires a couple of quid part however the dash needs pulling apart to get to it.
  • On the test drive keep an ear out for a rattle in the front door cards. The window mechanism in older cars uses a rubbish foam around the cables that degrades over time and you get a metallic rattle on rough roads.
  • Check the emergency door lock handle cover on the front passenger side as it can become loose over time and may need replacement.
  • The petrol cap mechanism on the older cars is not great and can get stuck so try opening and closing a few times.
  • There is a plastic trim on the front seats that can crack when lets say the larger of the human race use the car for a period of time Imgur
  • The petrol tanks can be noisy as they don't have sufficient baffles to prevent the fuel from sloshing about.
  • Rattle in dash from centre speaker that I never was able to solve on my old car.
  • Check the front and rear heated screens work as occasionally they can fail / be very poor.
  • If you are looking at the 3 litre diesel get someone to check the air inlet manifold 'Restricted Performance' would normally be displayed in the dash when putting your foot down. They are made of plastic and can crack, not cheap to fix.
Think that's about it for problems! When they don't have any of the above problems they are a great car, I've had two, however I found the customer service to be lacking.

QvP2pWP.jpg

27ed7908-3d21-446a-8f88-26e66058f2ef
bIsv3lT.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned an XF SV8 for around 18 months and an XFR for 2 years.

What year are you looking at?

What to look for:
  • With the car locked and the remote fobs out of range try opening all the doors. If one/more open then the door lock mechanism needs replacing.
  • If it's a premium model check all of the door card tops as the manufacture did a poor job of gluing it down and in cold weather it lifts and looks horrible Door cards January 2017
  • The rear brakes can wear out faster than the fronts due to the stability control system so check they have some meat on them.
  • Check all of the windows go down fully and can be returned to fully closed a few times. The window mechanisms can go crazy and it gets tricky to return the widow to fully closed without it returning to fully open by itself.
  • Older cars are known to de-laminate around the edge of the windscreen.
  • Some of the wheel types are quite soft so check for any damage.
  • The parking sensors can fail which causes the parking camera to become unavailable. Put the car in reverse a few times as it can be intermittent.
  • Check all four rotating air vents in the dash work as the mechanism can fail due to being cheap plastic. Only requires a couple of quid part however the dash needs pulling apart to get to it.
  • On the test drive keep an ear out for a rattle in the front door cards. The window mechanism in older cars uses a rubbish foam around the cables that degrades over time and you get a metallic rattle on rough roads.
  • Check the emergency door lock handle cover on the front passenger side as it can become loose over time and may need replacement.
  • The petrol cap mechanism on the older cars is not great and can get stuck so try opening and closing a few times.
  • There is a plastic trim on the front seats that can crack when lets say the larger of the human race use the car for a period of time Imgur
  • The petrol tanks can be noisy as they don't have sufficient baffles to prevent the fuel from sloshing about.
  • Rattle in dash from centre speaker that I never was able to solve on my old car.
  • Check the front and rear heated screens work as occasionally they can fail / be very poor.
  • If you are looking at the 3 litre diesel get someone to check the air inlet manifold 'Restricted Performance' would normally be displayed in the dash when putting your foot down. They are made of plastic and can crack, not cheap to fix.
Think that's about it for problems! When they don't have any of the above problems they are a great car, I've had two, however I found the customer service to be lacking.

QvP2pWP.jpg

27ed7908-3d21-446a-8f88-26e66058f2ef
bIsv3lT.jpg

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed response. What a cracking couple of cars you’ve had, I love the red one!

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed response. What a cracking couple of cars you’ve had, I love the red one!

Thanks, the XFR has around 500bhp so was a great drive.

Even though I have an E63 now I still miss it a little bit...

I had XF V8...portfolio. No problems at all. Lovely looking car and very comfortable. Build quality not up to standard for a modern car. Little things let it down. Like the bar that clamps the battery in place. Just a nut Welded onto the boot floor. The bar protrudes under the car by about 2 inches. There was no rust prevention on the protruding end. They are known to rust and seize up....silly little things like that.
Great drive though.

I’ve owned both the 3.0 twin turbo diesel Portfolio and an XFR, both were really great cars with sublime ride which, in the case of the XFR’s, is amazing because it sat on 20” wheels.

In fact, I’d go as far as to say the XFR is probably the best car I’ve ever owned.

When I was looking to change, I tried a full monty black on black 3.0S on a 64 plate.

I loved everything about it except I couldn't get on with the seats.

I could well have been driving that now instead of the CL although I do prefer the CL overall - except that it is not really a fair comparison.

Thanks everyone.

The search has started!! Found a few on Autotrader and been ringing around. Will also look on some JAG forums :)

Whys that...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom