Jag XFR Ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok picked up in the rain !!! got to dealer at 1pm and away by 2.15pm
PX`d the Bentley sadly but I was amazed when they gave me the tax disc back to reclaim (never happened before)
Car was in one of two presentation bays (other had a Volvo in it)

All docs and stuff was as expected, new key is nice (will take pic later).
We went through the controls, my comedian missus loved it immediately and was captivated by the illuminated sills and rotating vents.
The overhead courtsey lights have a sensor not sure how they sense but you almost touch the lens to activate them (?) nice - the leather dash and contrast stitching (both std) are lovely and up to the Aston standard.
Smart key works well and there is a little motorised cubby for it above your right knee - didnt know that

So all handed over started up - no whine - gutted :( was hoping for a pronounced whine as per my old CLS - no whine, I questioned the lack of whine - had I been palmed off with a none sc version :rolleyes:

Inched out into the drive mentioning to Anna this is the most expensive brand new car I have ever had and how proud I was, nice sunblind vanity mirror she said :doh:

Soo we wet 1.2 miles down the road to the cinema, i parked in 2 bays and we watched Robin Hood (great story) after the film it had stopped raining and we drove home, passing Chester MB a white E cabrio with a small (one exhaust) engine pulled out in front of me and I backed off as I didnt want to get it sprayed, he was going so slow I thought about overtaking when i noticed we were doing 60 on an A road - not slow at all - the XFR hides speed incredibly well.

Got home and it started to rain so I shuffled the Aston over and put the Jag away for the night. More on this over the weekend - Im doing the early morning bagel run on sunday so will take it out if its dry (we tend to have friends over for breakfast and I get bagles, salmon, chopped liver etc but its a 30 mile round trip ...)

Last edited:
Update:
Since I got it I have taken it to Matts for a Zymoling and a bit of paint correction but he said it was a good paintjob so Im happy.
However I havent used the car since as the DB9 has been the weapon of choice in the nicer days and as Im selling it I am using it more (I will have loads of time for the jag)
I will roll it oout end of this week and get some decent pics taken, its come up really nicely

Im hoping / Im sure it will give me a real buzz with the plate on (Im still at the "did I really get it" stage and I am still so thrilled - years I wanted that plate for)

Losing the Aston will be a big big downer especially mine as its just how I would like one but needs must. It doesnt matter what sort of mood your in driving the DB9 makes you really happy* also the positive reaction you get from so many other people is lovely - never ever had such nice feedback in any car I have ever had.

* Unless you hear a noise develop, catch a stone, drop into a pothole etc

Ok done 250 miles now (I know) and I know the car a bit here are some random thoughts
  • It feels less solid than a CLS
  • hard to describe but 1st gear is very high I can only describe it like a 1.1 off the line as you change very quickly OR you hang onto the gear and go ballistic (limited to 4k RPM)
  • Corners like nothing else - amazing - truly amazing
  • seats not as good as CLS despite 18 way adjustment
  • No whine
  • No coin holder / space (used the CLS gear gator)
  • Superb BW hifi FAR better than MB HK far better
  • Fussy screen menu
  • Un intuitive controls / maybe its because im new to it
  • Lovely paint
  • Feels delicate (see 1)
  • Feels like it will be very very fast (and Im used to fast)
  • Very nervous gearbox (see 2) its like your MB in sport + 50% when its in normal mode, you cant cruise it changes down in a heartbeat and surges forward on the slightest throttle - hmmm
  • 18mpg so far - for me thats good

It feels less solid than a CLSFeels delicate (see 1)

Subjectively how do the doors and tailgate feel when closing? Do you have to put more/less energy to close them properly, or is it that they make a different noise than than the CLS?

Subjectively how do the doors and tailgate feel when closing? Do you have to put more/less energy to close them properly, or is it that they make a different noise than than the CLS?

Doors are solid, boot is very strongly sprung and needs a slam on the spoiler to close it (it will semi close like a door also may be an anti pinch ?)

Its inside it feels less "solid" I dont feel as "in" the car as the merc, certainly the seats are not as good and these are the best seats.

Boot trim is poor on underside of boot but merc may be same I cannot remember

Doors are solid, boot is very strongly sprung and needs a slam on the spoiler to close it (it will semi close like a door also may be an anti pinch ?)

The door and tailgate hinges should bed-in after a few dozen operations. If you feel the tailgate still needs slamming afterwards ask the dealer to check the alignment. There is also a piece of kit they can use to measure the closing energy required. But ultimately it could just be that the design is just that way.

700 Miles - this is a very very fast car and stil not gone over 4500rpm

Cruises at 90 like its idling - smooth, quiet and loads in reserve

700 Miles - this is a very very fast car and stil not gone over 4500rpm

Cruises at 90 like its idling - smooth, quiet and loads in reserve

Most modern cars cruise at 90 as though they are idling ....(we are talkin KPH now aren't we)...:D:D:D

The difference between 70 and 85 in mine is license-worryingly small, like 0.5mm of pedal travel :D

1K miles before you go past 4500rpm?

Yep 1k miles - self imposed - also there are very few places you can exceed 4500rpm anyway as your going very fast at those revs in any gear.

Im taking it in for a screw cover that is missing and a test drive so they can ascertain if the throttle / gearbox is too "edgy" also they never filled in the service book initial page which really annoyed me

Might it not be a worse idea to run with a self-imposed rev limit than driving it according to the manufacturer though?

Not suggesting you do burnouts with 700m on the clock, but aren't you altering the run-in profile and therefore possibly causing tolerance or heat-coping problems further down the line?

Not criticising, just interested in the engineering side of it.

ETA - just spotted the Maser in your sig, I'm on and off this place recently so missed anything you might have posted about it - congrats!

Read there are two schools of thought on running in a car.
1. Is to treat it gently
2. Go for it from day 1 and they claim it beds in better and adds to the performance..

Not sure now where I read that - but it did have me thinking. I knew a guy who bought a Hillman Imp new. Raced it from day 1 - went like lightning and he never had a problem with it...claimed that it was the only way to run in a car.

Aren't all modern engines run in or bench tested before they are installed in a car these day?

XFR - Its hard to go abve 4500 RPM in daily use, its been driven hard within the constraints of the roads in Wirral and my inbuilt preservation switch that is a bit scared of the now or never throttle. On a bone dry baking hot M53 roundabout with new huge boots the tail stepped out in 3rd - cacked myself !! However I promise to rag it a bit more

The cacophony when you get out after a journey is amazing from bonks to clicks to tics to whirrs - goes on for ages !!!

ETA - just spotted the Maser in your sig, I'm on and off this place recently so missed anything you might have posted about it - congrats!

A member of the Maser forum "found" the car for me, with sage like wisdom pronounced it a mk2 and looked good from photos and was well priced. On the basis of a engineering report and warranty I have (once again) bought it blind however its being prepped with two wheels having small scrapes redone, a indicator lens has a crack, car is having a zymol polish.

I sold the Aston because I got my money back after 18 months and I was aware a new ish DB9 was imminent (announced tuesday) which would hit my cars residual. I thought i would be ok saving up for the DBS (or whatever once I get the cash together) but I missed having a garage queen and at £20k for a 4.2 V8 with near enough 400BHP and 20k miles how much can I lose on it ? :rolleyes:

Maser will be here by next weekend in time for our customary trip to Blackpool to celebrate Anna birthday - mini road trip.

Will do a write up on being a A, blind maser buyer B, A virgin maser buyer C, A fussy car buyer who is very trusting

Last edited:
Enroute to Blackpool give the throttle a good blip as you pass J29 M6. I will quite possibly hear it from my gaff. Better still call round for a brew and let me have a look and a listen. To the car that is!!

Saw the England football Captain driving his silver XFR on the news last night most likely driving back to his hotel if all the rumours going around are true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom