Jaguar Throttle Body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smiddyboy1

Car
W203 C320CDI Sport Edition, W203 C200K (Coupe), 219 CLS350, S-Type, 316 CDI Sprinter
Does anyone know where I would find a Throttle body for an S-type Jaguar??? or has a link to a company who refurbishes them???

Main dealer wants a fortune for one :eek:

Thanks all.

Not yet, I didn't think there would be much of them around to be honest, plus if I can have the original refurbished i'd be happier, plus theres a chance of at least a one-year warranty with it.

Thanks Grober, I gave them a call this afternoon, but cant say whether or not they will be able to do it without the part number ( they only do some Jaguar TB's), and the car is still at Taggarts in Glasgow. So until I strip it down and provide them with the part number they can't say for sure if they can do it or not.
I've been doing a little bit of reading on the subject, there doesn't seem to much that can go wrong with the TB itself, in essence it really just a metal block with a butterfly valve inside. With an idle switch and throttle position sensor bolted onto it.
I had an interesting conversation earlier with a part guy from a diferent Jaguar dealership today who said he couldn't provide me with the part number but could tell me that in his time there, they have never had to order a Throttle body.... it's usually just the Throttle position sensor...:rolleyes: , part listed as £73 plus Vat.
Maybe its just me being paranoid, but it seems to me that the dealership could be pulling a fast one - who can say for sure. but its worth cleaning out the throttle body and at £73 its worth a punt.
BTW Jaguar wanted £902 Plus Vat for the TB (£1037):crazy: , and for them to do the job the total quoted was £1539 plus Vat.
Thats on top of the £136 plus Vat for the diagnostic - why is there not a good indy near! or a forum like this for Jaguars, :bannana:

I've been doing a little bit of reading on the subject, there doesn't seem to much that can go wrong with the TB itself, in essence it really just a metal block with a butterfly valve inside. With an idle switch and throttle position sensor bolted onto it.

That sounds like it's a cable operated throttle with the appropriate switch and sensor attached for the ECU, in which case virtually nothing can go wrong with the throttle itself other than a broken return spring or worn bearings.

It probably just needs a clean out with carb cleaner and posiibly the idle switch resetting so it definately clicks just before the throttle closes fully.
The resitance of the position pot and switch actuation can be measured with a meter.

What's the car doing, stalling on deceleration, if so it is likely the switch. If there is an idle bypass it's worth cleaning that out as well and setting any static idle setting.

why is there not a good indy near! or a forum like this for Jaguars, :bannana:

Google is your friend.
Thanks neilrr, but I was meaning a friendly, informative forum like this, I've registered on most of the links you provided, but to be honest theres nothing much to read up about or tutorials ifyou like, not like on here :p
That sounds like it's a cable operated throttle with the appropriate switch and sensor attached for the ECU, in which case virtually nothing can go wrong with the throttle itself other than a broken return spring or worn bearings.

It probably just needs a clean out with carb cleaner and posiibly the idle switch resetting so it definately clicks just before the throttle closes fully.
The resitance of the position pot and switch actuation can be measured with a meter.

What's the car doing, stalling on deceleration, if so it is likely the switch. If there is an idle bypass it's worth cleaning that out as well and setting any static idle setting.
I'm not sure if it cable operated as i've not picked the car up from the dealers yet, it was only from the very few pictures that I could find one one from an s- type, and it was the dealer who diagnosed it as being the throttle body - Interesting to see if they provide me with the diagnostic fault codes when I do pick it up.
I found a good video on you tube of how to clean it out so I'll give that a go...
There was no warning of the problem, I was out with it on Friday night and whilst accelarating ( not hard) the "failsafe engine mode" appeared on the instrument cluster and the car went into limp mode, and wont give you any throttle at all - Just like being in gear (auto) and lifting off the brake, but it will change up 1 gear - so top spead is aroung 15 - 20 MPH. Switching the car off and back on does not clear the fault like the mercedes, so its always in the safe mode.
When I was taking it to the dealer it had a little burst of power for aroung 3 seconds of the whole journey....???

Thanks

Last edited:
Jaguar have an advisory about cleaning throttle bodies cautioning that using the wrong solvent will remove the "non stick" protective coating on the metal. this will cause the problem to get worse. They don't state which solvent to use tho. Using a bit of lateral thinking for a minute the jaguar S type engine was a twin cam development of the duratec V6 found in some fords-- wonder if there's an equivalent ford throttle body? might be cheaper. You would need to find out who the OEM is for the jaguar throttle body is for starters.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom