Jaguar vin decoder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone knew how to get datacards for jaguars? Can’t see any free websites like with MB.

Thanks

The Jaguar TOPIx website will let you enter a VIN and provide a decode of the build - and any outstanding recalls etc. You have to register, but this is free unless you want to access the workshop manuals and so on.

You can also retrieve the full service history / print off service sheets from the Jaguar.com website - no registration needed, just enter the VIN.

Get a link posted so we can all have a looksee!

Viewed one today which wasn’t in great condition.

Now interested in the one below:

back to top icon

As its done over 100k I’d assume the cambelt has been done. Seems in good condition and a good looker.

Cheers

clk320x - Off the top of my head, I think the cambelt is 10 years / 110k miles. Not a disaster if it hasn't been done, but reckon on about £500 if done at a Jag dealer. There is also a belt for the fuel pump due at 150k miles I think.

At that sort of mileage, the possible problems may be:
Intercooler - can fail and trigger limp home mode.
Inlet manifolds (dodgy plastic welding can allow a split to develop, causing limp home mode to trigger). Not a cheap fix if they go pop.
Boot loom wiring - reversing camera may not work and the electric lock may fail.

A lot of Jags are privately owned and don't do huge mileages, so you should be able to find a pretty decent car at a sensible price. The face-lift cars are generally better sorted out than the earlier models. It is not easy to retrofit any options to Jags, so buy one which has the 'toys' you want already fitted.

Lots of info about XF's and Jags in general here:
Jaginfo - Jaguar Forum
JaguarForum.com - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum

Thanks pal, I assume the 'portfolio' is the top of the line? These seem to have cooled seats, reversing camera etc.

Yes - Portfolio is the top spec, but it's always worth checking the build on 'lesser' models as many were optioned up beyond what you might expect. The base model is the 'Luxury' I think. I have a late model (2015MY) Portfolio and it certainly has more toys and gimmicks than I need. The reversing camera is a good option to have though, as these are big cars and rear visibility is not great.

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone knew how to get datacards for jaguars? Can’t see any free websites like with MB.

Thanks

You looking to defect Abs?!

You looking to defect Abs?!
Possibly Dean! :oops: I'm starting to prefer the XF over the W212!

Possibly Dean! :oops: I'm starting to prefer the XF over the W212!

Tough call. I never looked at an XF as got in and XF then and XJ and the interior for me is worlds apart. Is the interior in the 212 not nicer than an XF?

Yes - Portfolio is the top spec, but it's always worth checking the build on 'lesser' models as many were optioned up beyond what you might expect. The base model is the 'Luxury' I think. I have a late model (2015MY) Portfolio and it certainly has more toys and gimmicks than I need. The reversing camera is a good option to have though, as these are big cars and rear visibility is not great.

I can vouch for that. The XF is better the XJ is shockingly difficult to reverse. You pretty much have a post box sized rear screen as the angle is so shallow. Add the very very dark rear privacy glass and you can't see much. I am sure the XF is tons better. I have a rear camera on this one but the first XJ I had was a Premium Luxury without the camera also with the very dark rear privacy glass.

Our lane at home is quite narrow and only barely one cars width. Just after I got the first XJ I came nose to nose with my neighbour coming out as I was going. The unofficial rule was the person leaving reverses as it is easier. I didn't know this then as had not long moved in so politely reversed back round the corner. Oh my days! I am not a terrible driver or parker but I had about 5 bites of the cherry to get round that corner backwards!! This had the added fun of being at night in the dark as well.

At the age you’re looking at Abs it goes -

Top - Portfolio.
Middle - Premium Luxury.
Bottom - Luxury.

In reality even the Luxury is well specced as standard compared to a Merc and just to throw another spanner into the works - Premium Luxury spec is very very close to the Portfolio and, in some cases, will be identical if the first buyer has upped the options so do t be *too* worried about finding a Portfolio.

As an example I own a MY2014 XFS Premium Luxury and the only difference between mine and Portfolio is the Portfolio has Bowers & Wilkins sound system and mine has Meridian.

Tough call. I never looked at an XF as got in and XF then and XJ and the interior for me is worlds apart. Is the interior in the 212 not nicer than an XF?
I would have gone for a XJ over an XF but for two reasons -

1. Just that bit too long for what I prefer

and

2. My wife thinks they’re old man cars and, being the right side of 40, wouldn’t even test drive one!!

I can understand that. Luckily for me the size doesn't matter and I'm comfortably the wrong side of 40 now. Therefore I'm allowed to endure that sublime Supercharged XJ drivetrain [emoji12]

As SPX says, don't be too worried about Portfolio spec, as many PL models are optioned to more or less the same level. Another point which may be relevant is that the 'S' models have 20" wheels - which I didn't want (19" are bad enough). A lot of (older) users think 18" wheels are the best compromise for comfort / handling. To give you an indication of what comes as standard with a face-lift Portfolio car, I've attached my cars build sheet.

Attachments

• TOPIx Vehicle Summary - Portfolio.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom