jaguar xe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markjames

Car
mercedes e220 coupe
Went to see the jaguar xe at a preview evening at Barrets in Ashford this evening. Car on show was a top spec 's' with the 3 litre petrol with options at just under £50k. Car looked very good from the outside, in my opinion a much better shape than the w205 but the interior was not even close in quality compared to the merc. The xe had a nice leather finish to the top of the dash but the door trims were very plasticky and some of the switchgear felt very low rent. It was a pretty production car so there may be some improvement before launch but not convinced it will change much. The boot also seemed very small although the salesman tried to convince us it was as big as a c class. Think a test drive will be in order when they have the demonstrators.

ForumRunner_20150217_195753.jpg

I saw one close up at the Paris motorshow and concur with your thoughts on the interior - very cheap and no comparison to the W205 (which I think it quite frankly outstanding on the inside even with the iPad screen).

In particular, whilst most of the XE's dash top is leather covered, the instrument binnacle surround was made out of some of the cheapest plastic I've seen in a while. Poor switchgear quality also appears to be a Jaguar trait.

Still, I suspect it'll be an outstanding drivers car.

I was really interested in the XE, but was put off with the interior.
I preferred the outside looks of the XE compared to the W205 (exluding the rear view)

But the lack of availability or confirmed delivery dates when I was looking, resulted in me ordering the W205.

I went to a Jaguar XE preview before Xmas and like the others I thought the interior was very disappointing and so I then ordered a W205. Also none of XE petrol engines would have suited me. The V6 is very expensive and, as it's only available with sports suspension, I suspect the ride would be too hard for me. The 2 litre XE petrol engines are derived from relatively old Ford EcoBoost engines which are relatively inefficient and I understand they'll soon be replaced by Jaguar Ingenium engines which will also presumably have much better emissions. However, I'm still looking forward to test driving the XE and, if it drives as well as the early magazine reports suggest, it'd probably be the car I'd buy in 2 or 3 years time if the W205 proves unreliable or problematic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom