Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two months update.
First problem appeared during last month. The tailgate was misaligned and started to lean onto the rear bumper consequently scratching it.
53DA1AD3-A1B6-492F-845F-6FCA28DAA540.jpeg Search on the net showed that it is a known problem with XFs and Jaguar is aware of it as there is a Technical Bulletin in case owners complain.
After couple of calls and a visit to a dealership (Grange Jaguar) service the car was booked for alignement and paint job last week. As it was a warranty claim I was given brand new E-pace for the duration of service which was very nice gesture by Grange. Here it is after the service:
C02F3D71-550A-49EB-964D-EE2573D3F0AE.jpeg
B0DD836A-9927-48B2-9DD8-123FCA67E991.jpeg
I have to emphasise that I’m very pleased with the treatment I got from Grange Jaguar, both during the purchasing process and now with their aftersale.
The car still runs perfect and is really a nice place to be in. The type of a car that pulls you to drive it, if you know what I mean. It is different than MB but different in positive way. Maybe because you don’t see much of them on the road makes it kind of special. I don’t know , but it’s a good one.

I got the e-pace when mine went for a service absolutely hated it,it seamed not to know what gear is was meant to be in, always changing, glad i only had it a day 😃

I got the e-pace when mine went for a service absolutely hated it,it seamed not to know what gear is was meant to be in, always changing, glad i only had it a day 😃
I had it for 3.5 days and it ran quite good actually. What I hated was the switches on the doors, center console and the stalks. I had to take a photo of those how badly executed they are. My guess was that it was a basic trim E-Pace as all those just looked too cheap and different to mine in XF.
4C9620ED-C22E-4855-AE78-6C009AD43CFE.jpeg
D7E3A6B0-92BD-4AE7-8CAF-5D5937166540.jpeg

Half a year already lapsed and after the last reported niggle with tailgate alignement nothing else went wrong with the car. It runs beautifully.
Had its first long haul till Spain and it proved to be a perfect motorway cruiser. Smooth, fast, silent and very comfortable place to be in for 15 hours.
How it compares to MB you might want to know, or don’t. 🤷🏼
I’ll start from the rear. Although on paper and drawings the booth space looks very similar sizewise to E class estate it’s not. It is smaller thanks to cubby holes E class has giving you that necessary extra space to fit overstretched suitcase or duffel bag. While packing had to adopt new strategy of adding two half full bags instead of one full which would fit my S212 but not in XF. The dog cage had to be chopped in height but I knew that had to be done at a car purchase time. Everything did fit in the back but I had to make some sacrifices like instead of two floaties for the girls they had to choose only one which will go. Didn’t want to put the roof box on the top as I wanted to see how the car will perform without it but it would have saved me some time in figuring out how to pack all the girls wanted to bring with them.
Lets move to the passenger area. It’s simply great. It’s big, really big, more of a space you would get in S class than in E. Windsor seats are fabulous, very supportive but also soft not tiring ones both at the front and in the rear. Infotainament and maps were faultless and real time traffic was accurate and didn’t give me any unnecessary false rerouting options. What we missed from S212 was the net bottle holder in passenger footwell.
Performance. Stunning. Really, really good performance and thanks to it two stage turbo there is no lag while accelerating. Can be very fast when needed and will reach very high speeds without any drama:banana:

Average fuel consumption was 33mpg but as it was full and with average speed of 77mph I am quite happy with it.
XFs and particularly Sportbrakes are like hens teeth so we got a lot of stare especially from young boys who probably never saw one before. I’ve managed to see one white Sportbrake near Paris and that was it.
So far extremely pleased with the car.
17EBF045-B8EA-4F6D-874D-BF1D9471CB1C.jpeg

That sounds all positive, this will be a serious consideration after my current E Class.

It’s worth mentioning that I was pleasantly surprised with Jaguar accessories pricing as they are often running a clearance sale. For example a genuine Jaguar set of tailored sunshades (6 in total) for all rear windows for £60, rear bumper loading protector £30, aluminium foot rest £30, gear shifter £10. Even the alloy wheels can be bought for £150+ each. Prices are on the level of go fast Corsas. Insane.

Thanks for the update. That's a handsome, practical motor

These are still lurking in the background as an alternate to the S213 - I'm still struggling with the S213 and W223 because they're so big with very few petrol options.

I know some young graduate engineers who are working at Jaguar. They love it, but they are honest that there are still "stories to be told."

I should test drive a Sportsbrake but daren't.

If you are looking for Petrol X260 there is nothing to worry about. Re size XF Sportbrake are few mm short of 5m length so they are not small at all.
S213 was too bling for my taste and I just couldn’t get over that.

Thanks Sarah. Have already made 14k miles in her and she runs beautifully and is very good on petrol.
7551EE89-E356-41F4-95B8-A7C431684976.jpeg
The most serene high speed cruiser I’ve ever had. It has a sweet spot around 3100-3200 rpm in 8th gear and is dead silent at 120mph on autobahn.
Took 3 year service plan with Jaguar, for something like B-A-B services at MB, and it came cheaper £150 than I had for my 10 years old S212. JLR genuine accessories are available and compared with MBs ones are also insanely cheap. What not to like.

Thanks Sarah. Have already made 14k miles in her and she runs beautifully and is very good on petrol.
View attachment 126598
The most serene high speed cruiser I’ve ever had. It has a sweet spot around 3100-3200 rpm in 8th gear and is dead silent at 120mph on autobahn.
Took 3 year service plan with Jaguar, for something like B-A-B services at MB, and it came cheaper £150 than I had for my 10 years old S212. JLR genuine accessories are available and compared with MBs ones are also insanely cheap. What not to like.
I love them but you know that already haha. I'm restricted by the width or would have one in my garage. I loved my xe. Great to hear that you made the right decision and haven't regretted it. I also like the fact that they aren't common on the road

I love them but you know that already haha. I'm restricted by the width or would have one in my garage. I loved my xe. Great to hear that you made the right decision and haven't regretted it. I also like the fact that they aren't common on the road
I know, I know.
They are like hens teeth here and in Europe, I honestly think they don't exist in estate form. In a year time, never saw a single one anywhere in EU. Sad really as they are very good.

If you are looking for Petrol X260 there is nothing to worry about. Re size XF Sportbrake are few mm short of 5m length so they are not small at all.
S213 was too bling for my taste and I just couldn’t get over that.
Aren’t estates the same length as saloons?

Thanks , but I'll stick to my E class. Far less of a 'chav' motor ;)
Inked Wolfgang (600 x 338) (300 x 169).jpg

Further update on living with Jaguar, now on 25k miles.
Was shocked few months ago finding out that Jags go through rear brake pads and discs like they are of cheese. Apparently the reason is some sort of vector braking at the rear for keeping the car planted while cornering at high speeds. New set of rear C-Hook discs from MTec , Red Stuff pads and one new caliper from Jaguar (old one was sticky) and the braking was massively improved. Found very good, local to me, Jaguar Indy so the hit on the wallet wasn’t eye watering. Will do the same at the front once the time comes for change. Less dust too, and on high speed braking discs make a nice swoooosh sound.
Everything else is as supposed to be and she is running beautifully. Still very rare beast on the roads.
F89A2A4F-6619-41BF-B31D-F4994DDE726C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom