Jaguar xj6 Help required please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
As above, and im not defecting this will be a 2nd car because i dont like getting my MB out in the wet lol.

I'm looking at a 4.0 Jag xj6 tomorrow just done 100k, 3 owner fsh. Mot history looks clean ie no corrosion mentioned.

Never had a Jag before what should i look for? its 1992 K reg.:crazy:

Mechanically they don't normally have many issues, it's the electrics you need to be wary of. Although no corrosion is mentioned on the mot, check the front sub frame for rust.

XJ40's hide suspension issue's very well, the bushes can be completely worn out and the car will drive fine. Power steering rack's can weep at the seals, and the exhaust manifolds are known to crack.

The auto box is indestructible, as is the diff.

The 4.0 is a surprisingly quick car for it's size and age, you'll love it.:thumb:

Really apreciate the swift reply buddy Thankyou :)

No worries,

Another thing to watch out for is the rear exhaust boxes loosing their internal baffels, decent replacements are expensive and don't come with the tail pipe.

If you want a good laugh find a manual 4.0 sport, you'll want to drive it more than the merc!

Last edited:
As above, and im not defecting this will be a 2nd car because i dont like getting my MB out in the wet lol.

I'm looking at a 4.0 Jag xj6 tomorrow just done 100k, 3 owner fsh. Mot history looks clean ie no corrosion mentioned.

Never had a Jag before what should i look for? its 1992 K reg.:crazy:
The issue here is that you are now officially an old fart.

The issue here is that you are now officially an old fart.

hahaha not bought it yet, im going in with a open mind i dont even know if i will like it. ;)

Dad had loads of Jags from the 60's then he found his love for Mb;s with the w116 S-class,

Just thought id try summit else for a change getting annoyed with having to keep on top of the Mb latly with all this rubbish weather.:D

IMHO the slightly later X300 is a much more desirable car than the XJ40.

As already mentioned, suspension bushes can give serious issues and are expensive to fix.

Also, on a car of that age, I'd be surprised if there weren't some corrosion issues.

Good luck!

Always wanted one, eventually bought one, never been so disappointed with a car ! it looked absolutely fantastic in it's 'Regency Red' colour but that is where the love affair ended. Mine was a 94 FJSH 49,000 mls, and I think was made in the early days of Ford ownership? you could definitely see where Ford had saved the money in order to make Jaguar a viable and profitable proposition again and aside the general low rent fixture and fittings....
Cramped cabin space, no head room, no rear leg room, no boot space due to full size spare in it! mountains of small mechanical / electrical issues and so on.
The whole experience was such a let down and we parted company within a few months..... shame really because I so wanted a Jaguar and at that time I was reminded of an old saying ... NEVER meet your heroes!
Still love the look of the 94 XJ6 though.:doh:

Well after a sleep on it i decided not to go and look at it, why?? i dunno maybe because of the seller's short replies to questions, and a lack of answers to my question something just didn't seem right so left it there even could had been the jump into the unknown :/

Weren't the aluminium body cars a big step up in terms of quality and owner experience?

They must be cheap as chips by now.

Tha Jag 4L V8 has had a litany of problems with cam chain tensioners.

The first incarnation was cheap plastic (bean counters 1-0 engineers) and it had either failed or was about to fail.

The second incarnation was slightly better 'quality' plastic (bean counters 2-0 engineers).It lasted longer but was likely to fail eventually.

Incarnation three was metal (bean counters 2-1 engineers) and was fine.

Version 3 is a straight swap for the earlier versions, the 4.2 has it as standard.

Did the later XJS's suffer from the rear hub carrier bearing failures that wrote off many of the early cars ?

Weren't the aluminium body cars a big step up in terms of quality and owner experience?

They must be cheap as chips by now.

After the XJ40s, the first X300 steel body cars were a huge step forward. Then came the X308 with the "NEW" v8 engines which had all the Nikasil/timing chain problems.

Then came the X350 alloy bodied cars which still seem to hold their value reasonably well.

The XJ40 is now 30 years old and unusually for a Jaguar of this age it has virtually no classic appeal and is still stuck firmly in the bargain basement / banger category.

The styling is far too 80s to be attractive and the cabin ambience (which should be a Jaguar strong point) is poor with cheap leather, even cheaper plastics and horrible-looking dashboards (the earlier ones had green LED dashes that were about as easy on the eye as a 1983 Atari home computer game).

And although they are mechanically far more robust than the XK-powered models that they replaced and more resistant to rust (the corners of the boot lid being a weak point) any XJ40 really has to be cheap and £1500 will be more than enough to buy a really nice one.

Haven't seen one of these for ages,we used to make exhausts for a company called Chasseur developments who did a very nice conversion with a subtle body kit, perfectly scaled down steering wheel, track developed suspension by bilstein and turbo technics engine tune. It was improved in every area and in its day a very nice car.

Haven't seen one of these for ages,we used to make exhausts for a company called Chasseur developments who did a very nice conversion with a subtle body kit, perfectly scaled down steering wheel, track developed suspension by bilstein and turbo technics engine tune. It was improved in every area and in its day a very nice car.

Chasseur stealth, that's a blast from the past! I had a good look round one of those at a retro rides GTG a few years back. 4.0 bi turbo manual, quite the Q car.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom