Jail for Koran burner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its not the physical aspect of what he is doing - it is the hatred that is being incited by his actions.

Its the same as what the small minority of 'brain washing extremist muslims' are doing. Inciting hatred against other social groups, calling it religion based.

Two wrongs, don't make a right.

what did you expect? he did it directly offend and incite hatred. and so did the guy burning the poppy.

if you ask me, BOTH people should have been treated the same under the criminal justice system.

Did poppy man go to jail ?

if you ask me, BOTH people should have been treated the same under the criminal justice system.
I'll second that notion and, at risk of putting words into another's mouth, I suspect that was the root of the OP's original question.

The District Judge's comment about "theatrical bigotry" holds true in both cases, but the vastly disparate sentences show that anyone who thinks acts designed to foment racial or religious hatred will be dealt with in an even-handed manner are wrong. How such skewed application of the law promotes harmony and tolerance is hard to understand.

If I had seen him burning a Koran I think a raised eyebrow and a comment that I hope he is going to clean the mess up would be the extent of my response.

Somehow if a bog standard member of the public (me) cares that little how can we justify imprisonment?

The fault must lie with the offended person's enthusiasm for taking offence, which tbh isn't really my problem.

I think a fifty quid fine would have been apt.

:(

folks (and that means EVERYBODY) should have respect for others including their religious beliefs...

ordinary folk have no time nor inclination for trouble making; we're too busy making ends meet and paying for our cars lol

Do you think somebody will stand in front of a Church and burn a Bible? of course they would be treated the same, course they would, would'nt they??

Slight difference between a poppy and a bible....
but thats my point exactly-
whats 'whatever' to someone might well be sacred to someone else...

personally if some one destroyed my religious paraphernalia (have had it done to me in the gulf) I take the view that my beliefs are far stronger than a few pages of paper and it'll take a lot more than that to mar my spirituality...

and i think god wouldn't be too fussed for us to stand on ceremony and mourn another's ignorance; the almighty has got to be so much bigger than that.

hence proved, QED

personally if some one destroyed my religious paraphernalia (have had it done to me in the gulf) I take the view that my beliefs are far stronger than a few pages of paper and it'll take a lot more than that to mar my spirituality

If only yours was the view of all.

I do not respect religious beliefs, I think they are spurious, I do not bother to say as much very often because I see little to be gained. I don't think I could respect the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavhad Gita. I would be judged guilty of thought crime in Rascalmasters universe.

Is it because I am an atheist? Why can't my lack of belief be respected?

Is it because I am an atheist? Why can't my lack of belief be respected?

They are, your fellow atheists embrace you and those of faith thank you....for leaving just a little more room on the bench;)

So EVERBODY loves and respects you BIG GROUP HUG!!

lol finisterre...

when i meant respect everyone; i meant respecting atheists too...

cummon then- lets have a group huggie....

oh, and thank you for sharing!!

... me and my brethren congregate the mound on moonlight nights and sing songs of devotion to the goddess mercedes.
:bannana:

Let's get this straight- one person burned a book about 'beliefs'; beliefs are a choice, yet this man gets sent to prison.

Another person desecrates a symbol for the sacrificies made by my forefathers and gets a slap on the wrist whilst sucking the financial blood out of the very thing that he supposedly despises...:mad:

cor... lookat the spelling mistakes on that post of mine....
3 cheers for bloody predictive text!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom