James May the reassembler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not exactly full of excitement ............

James May did say that he may be the only person apart from the camera man who is witnessing the reassembling of the lawn mower.

Agree, it is a bit slow then he is Captain Slow

Wonderful, I just needed a pipe and a cuppa.

Made me smile And followed by a programme about stripping down a Boing 747 -400. Very similar really

I'd really enjoy doing what May did. He's gotten paid to do it too.

I'd have cleaned all the parts too, some bits were put back on dirty.

The May show was a complete let down but the 747 programme more than made up for it.

James May has no one to blame but himself as he wrote the program. I see it as a sort of modern version of the BBC's POTTERS WHEEL- a reminder that we don't have to have our senses bombarded with information ever second of the day. Tonight its a 57 bakelite telephone.
[YOUTUBE]jUzGF401vLc[/YOUTUBE]

The James May programme was so near to being interesting. A little more technical detail would have made it much better, like how the engine governor works and a paragraph on side valves for instance.

I'm kinda glad I recorded it, I watched about 15 mins before realising it was probably even more tedious than watching cricket, or paint dry. James, in his old age is turning into a cool guy that we would all enjoy a natter with over a beer, but the whole thing lacks energy, despite them panning out and showing the hipster filming the up close camera operator with bobble hat.

Nice try but it's 2/10 from me

I enjoyed them
But his YouTube cooking vids were better

Last edited:
Enjoyed the first one, well it passed half an hour on and I like mowers. The second one about the phone I found tedious and lost interest and last night's guitar one was mediocre at best.

Wallpaper TV to me really, just let it wash over me. I like May, but I much preferred his "Toy Stories" series, where even he showed genuine enthusiasm.

I enjoyed the guitar one, but then I have rebuilt a bass guitar and a ukulele banjo myself in the past.

I suspect these may have even started out as hour long programmes but shortened to 30 minutes when it was realised there simply wasn't enough "Edible meat in the sandwich" . :( I also suspect that broadcasting it on BBC 4 rather than the wider viewed BBC 2 was a tacit admission that when it came to the final " rushes" this was judged to be a bit more "niche broadcasting" than orginally envisaged when commisioned. Good in theory but not in execution = Some you win some you lose! :dk:

Six hours to re assemble a Stratocaster, must have spent 20 minutes polishing each screw before fitting!

I hope those six hours included an unseen setup. The guitar as it was shown on the programme would have been unplayable, not least because of the bridge and tremelo (actully a vibrato but we'll let that pass).

I think this has exposed the age gap of members,the younger ones want something to happen,maybe the mower explodes at the end,where as us older members enjoy watching something that has no buttons or passwords and it was supposed to be a little boring .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom