January!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ben_e71

Car
1 series
Just tried to order new company car. C250 sport. Auto. Red. Only extras folding seats and DAB

Just told earliest I can expect is January.

My tactic in the past was to speak to a dealer and find a car that was in MB compound and spec it to what is available.

Worked for me - time reduced was several months to a couple of weeks.

There is so little money around at present, manufacturers can't have cash tied up in dead stock. Pretty much everything is made to order.

Yes I appreciate that but 20 weeks! Doesn't help that dealers are putting the lease companies to the back of the pile

That will be becasue you want red, they will be required to wait until they have a minimum order requirements for red vehicles to run the production line.

Order silver, grey, black etc and you'll probably find it's less than 20 weeks.

Red C220 said:
That will be becasue you want red, they will be required to wait until they have a minimum order requirements for red vehicles to run the production line.
Not true. Different colour vehicles go through the paint process one after the other. More likely there's something else in the spec that has a supply shortage.

Not true. Different colour vehicles go through the paint process one after the other. More likely there's something else in the spec that has a supply shortage.

hmm, I didn't know that and had been told different by more than one dealer.

You live and learn.

You live and learn.
No worries. I like to learn something new every day, too :thumb:

Looking at the spec the OP posted, my guess is that it could be the DAB option that's causing the holdup :dk: One way to tell would be to ask a dealer (the dealer?) for a delivery estimate on a car without it.

well having spent the last two-three months expecting a Jan delivery (confirmed in an email from my lease company last week) yesterday I got the call to say it will be with me the week after next .... yay....

Its coming from MGB from the PDC so what will the two letters before the 61 in the reg likely to be...

well having spent the last two-three months expecting a Jan delivery (confirmed in an email from my lease company last week) yesterday I got the call to say it will be with me the week after next .... yay....

Its coming from MGB from the PDC so what will the two letters before the 61 in the reg likely to be...

Depends where you are as MB Corp have 2 or 3 locations they work out of. Mine have both come from the London branch, and have LL and LM.

A sure fire way to persuade people to move over to the competition. Couple that with inferior tech and they are gone!

A sure fire way to persuade people to move over to the competition. Couple that with inferior tech and they are gone!
I think you will find most of the desirable opposition manufacturers are the same. VAG are worse if anything--- especially automatics. I blame the Chinese!:rolleyes: The built to order thing is a red herring- if you invest millions in production plant you want it running at the highest capacity possible. I reckon the cars are being made they are just not coming to the UK.:dk:

Best MB UK could do for me recently was 14 - 16 weeks, same car ordered in Germany 6 - 8 weeks. This was one of the reasons I went for another Volvo 6 - 8 weeks built to my exact spec (well chosen from the options list) That coupled with the fact a Volvo D5 running 250 bhp was £10k cheaper than a E 250 CDi Sport made it a no brainer. Not sure how anyone could justify £10k more for a lower spec car with less power, what are MB thinking :dk:

Just tried to order new company car. C250 sport. Auto. Red. Only extras folding seats and DAB

Just told earliest I can expect is January.
We had a 5 month wait for the Vito.

How about: "We can sell as many as we make at that price and the residuals are still strong"?

Maybe they should make more then :dk: and the deal I got from Volvo more than covers the residual differences so that doesn't come into the equation, so you either have the value in the car at the end or have it discounted off the front. With the big mileages I do I want the discount up front as the cars mileage will be the biggest negative residual factor not the manufacturer.

My tactic in the past was to speak to a dealer and find a car that was in MB compound and spec it to what is available.

Worked for me - time reduced was several months to a couple of weeks.

This may well work, I know for sure that dealers were told that they had to stock a C class in red in the showroom through the summer this year so there may be a few of these in the system unsold (I actually thought they looked pretty good as well!).

I made a bit of a last minute move at the very tail end of last year to buy my wife a C250CDI before the VAT rise came in and picked one out of stock, the dealer just pulled up the list and gave me the choice there and then and we had it in 10 days. You never know....
Edd

Last edited:
Maybe they should make more then :dk:
When I was at Sindelfingen earlier this year, on the factory tour they told us about how they'd increased their production to a record level in 2010 (approx 20% up on 2009 from memory) and were aiming to beat that in 2011, so they are definitely making more - which they seem to have no problem selling at the current prices. That the residuals are still as strong as they are means that they haven't reached to point of oversupply that some others have (e.g. BMW) which leads to deep discounting and heavier depreciation.
With the big mileages I do I want the discount up front as the cars mileage will be the biggest negative residual factor not the manufacturer.
No issue with that - you've bought a car that suits your needs, which happens to not be a Mercedes-Benz. My point was that the market clearly sustains a £10k price premium twixt the Volvo D5 and an E250CDI Sport, so while that may seem illogical there's no imperative for MB to reduce their price and contribution per vehicle.

When I bought mine a few weeks ago, to get the exact car I wanted would have meant an end of December delivery date.

So we looked at what was already available on the system and found 4 ready built of various spec. Mine was the closest spec to what I was looking for with the main difference to my original requirement being the colour (I wanted silver) but by being flexible I was able to take delivery in a couple of weeks.

Car arrived today - excellent.

Only quick question is how do you turn the radio off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom