Japanese Import W124 E280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudger

Car
Awaiting delivery
Folks, I have never done this before, hence this request, but I am looking at a Jap import tomorrow and want to try and understand what I would need to do to it to make fully UK compliant. I understand that I would need to get it the underside wax oiled (approx £600) and get the speedo changed from KM to MPH. Other than that, will I need to do anything else such as lights?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Kr.

From memory:

Fog lights - Rear
Radio - used to only get R2 on FM, you might be wanting to upgrade anyway to DAB or something.

Japanese cars generally don't have fog lights

What history have you got of the car? Accident damaged? Worth checking bodywork carefully for signs of repaired accident damage. Japan did not in the past permit serious accident repairs so some cars shipped abroad.

My son has, in the past, purchased quite a few cars from Japan. At times just for performance parts, others for the cars themselves. No problems that I can remember. Obviously everything is in Japanese. I think a container cost under £1k at the time. You can get a few small cars in a large container.

Pretty sure you can get away with putting markers/stickers on the speedo for the main speeds for the mot.

Edit: or use a cheap gps speedo during sva/mot if required.

Last edited:
I am sure at the time new stickers were placed over the km scale ( on the unit, under the glass) Some of the cars already had mph as a secondary scale.

My old Lancia Integrale only had kph on the speedo and I never had any issues with the MOT. Not sure you need to do anything (re the speedo) unless rules have changed in the last couple of years.

Guys, thanks for the responses, off to see the car shortly, will keep you posted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom