Japanese imports - how does it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilly

Need a little bit of help with importing a car from Japan, how it works and what's involved. The car is NEW and is only £12000.00 in Japan

from start to finish whats needed to import and register this car, costs, tests, taxes etc.

The reason being, the prices I've found to basically have the car delivered to your door through a UK based company is £23k. Surely there cant be £11k'sworth of work?

obviously there is 17.5% vat, are there any other taxes on top? how much is the SVA test and what needs changing on a jap car? Collecting the car from a port in England is no probs but I would still need transport from Japan to the UK arranging and prices involved with that, I can arrange it within the trade to have it collected from the port as a favor. I know I work in car sales but everyone here is stumped in regards to what's involved because we've never looked into it before but I really want this car! Are there any other bits and bobs involved as it really is a grey area to me. Thanks!

Maybe worth a call to a second hand car importer who source to order, explain that you're interested in buying a Japanese car, but are wary about exactly involved.

How does it get here? Who ships it - are they trust worthy, and insured? What must be changed when it gets here? What's involved with the SVA? etc. It may answer most of your questions even if not the costs involved.

BTW I think it's mainly foglamp and instrument cluster that need attention IIRC?

After a quick Google I found out that SVA test is £158:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...cle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10018282

I was going to suggest ringing and talking to an Imports company, even if you are going to be doing it yourself, they should be able to advise!

basically, I want a JDM civic type R, they're £11900 out of the box. Run 320mm 4 pot brembos. lightweight 18" alloys with a choice of white or dark silver. Sports interior in either full black or black/red. They run a higher spec engine than the UK car, they use a tuned variant of the 2.0 accord engine pushing 225PS and have an LSD as standard which aids the traction (something the uk spec car is lacking) and most of all... it's a four door saloon to me looks more appealing. I know its a different league to the merc but I just like to be different and its a good spec performance wise which interests me

car_photo_217568_5.jpg

car_photo_217606_5.jpg

I know its a different league to the merc but I just like to be different and its a good spec performance wise which interests me
Wow. It's not exactly pretty but it does look purposeful and I bet it's quick. Good luck with your import! :)

EDIT: honda just put a cap over the reverse lamp on one side of their accord and then they wired up a separate foglamp button for it. This is a possibility for you ;) DO NOT hang a silly fog lamp under the bumper like some importers do, it looks awful! ;)

Last edited:
I used to import Japanese cars, but an agent would do the importing and just charge me a price for the car all in.

SVA: around £100... you will need to add rear fogs and tyres may need to be changed if not to UK spec.

Tax: import duty depends on purchase price and needs to be paid before you can pick the car up from the port.

registering: £80 plus road tax cost. you need import certificates, japanese registration docs etc. This can take a week or so and may require an inspection of the vehicle by DVLA.

I think thats about it!

http://www.autoadvan.co.uk/ does what you want and charge around £500 comission wich is a lot better then you messing with everything, and his website will tell you most or win him and have a chat, on that car you might need a 'model report', best thing is to ask someone who does it for living

Hi Tilly,
I can see why your interested. Is there any type of insurance loading for Japanese imports, especially high performance models?

John

yes, JDM car insurance is usually dearer because parts are dearer and they're 99% of the time more powerful than the UK variants. The UK type R is group 16/17 dependant on model. I suspect this car will come in at around group 18. Obviously it is high but then again so is any car that is capable of hitting 60 in 6 seconds so it comes with the territory as it is a performance car. The Vtec really appeals to me though. The power is there if needed but during normal driving you can return a good fuel consumption with the car being a 2.0l 4 cylinder.

It's much safer than most UK cars that often have under-spec'd chassis components for example small brakes, the lack of an LSD on many FWD performance cars, standard spec ARB's and flimsy shells which all have been seen too, if not over engineered, but hey... it's better to take things too far than not far enough in the line of safety!

It's much safer than most UK cars that often have under-spec'd chassis components for example small brakes, the lack of an LSD on many FWD performance cars, standard spec ARB's and flimsy shells which all have been seen too, if not over engineered, but hey... it's better to take things too far than not far enough in the line of safety!
Thanks very much indeed for the prompt reply. I have seen some really nice imported Japanese vehicles which have never officially been released over here, however I would think that at least 90% of the parts would be obtained just as quick as the run of the mill Japanese cars. What a pity they don't cater for the average sized 6' 7" European :devil:

Thanks again and good luck,
John

if you want a tonka toy go to toys are us ???
That's not exactly constructive is it? Besides, there's nothing "tonka" about it! Tonka typically make models of construction vehicles don't they? We're not talking about importing a JCB here!

All JDM cars less than 10 years old now require an ESVA which is MUCH more thorough. You need what's called a 'Model Report' for that EXACT model. It costs ££££ to get a model report done, so unless there is already a model report available for that car, it isn't financially viable to bring in just one car. IIRC Litchfield Imports are going to be importing that JDM Civic Type R later this year, obviously they'll be bringing enough of them in to make it worthwhile financially to get the model report done.

This change from the old SVA to the new ESVA is one reason why you'll see most JDM importers bringing in cars of 10 years old + now. HTH.

Look HERE

Edit to add, it looks like new cars have to meet UK type approval too now.

Last edited:
As Leigh says, you need an ESVA and a model report. Many Japanese imports come through Southampton and there's a company there that can do everything you need

http://www.svauk.co.uk/

You won't be able to move the car out of the dock gates without trade plates or on a trailer unless it's UK registered. VOSA patrol the dock gates so don't drive in with a dodgy trailer or without paperwork

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
if it's new, I'm not sure that you will get any warranty cover through the UK distribution system

is the rust proofing as good as that for EU cars?

Yup, you'll need it undersealed, it comes with nothing from Japan.

For the SVA you will HAVE to have a foglight hanging off the bottom or cut into the bumper. Put it into the light cluster and it won't pass (which is strange as normal cars have it). Nothing to stop you moving it into the cluster afterwards.

It will be Group 20 insurance, and you'll get no warranty at all from the UK dealer network. I'm sure someone will have a model report out soon, I'll ask around the people I know and see if anyone is doing one.

For my DC5, parts are all held in Belgium and can be available overnight, but if they're out of stock it a case of waiting for restocking from Japan.

John, you'll be surprised at the space inside, I'm 6'3 with a 56" chest, and have room to spare in my DC5.

For the SVA you will HAVE to have a foglight hanging off the bottom or cut into the bumper. Put it into the light cluster and it won't pass (which is strange as normal cars have it). Nothing to stop you moving it into the cluster afterwards.
Would it not pass if you fitted some UK tail lamps and wiring? I realise there are none for this model but there are loads of examples where a UK model has rear fogs and a Japan model doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom