Jay walking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd have thought below 20mph would be better. But that's a start. Must confess to not being 'across' that, not really relishing the changes that seem to be inevitable.

In the context of this discussion I think it's worth reminding that on 29 January 2022 there will be a new Highway Code published. There will be significant changes concerning the right of way for cyclists and pedestrians. Revisions will also include a new hierarchy of road ssers, which seems to imply that drivers involved in incidents with more vulnerable road users, ie cyclists or pedestrians, are more likely to be held responsible, Another change states drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road before turning into or out of junctions. This is a significant change to Rule 170. Loudly warning pedesrians you are about to turn into or out of a side road will not grant you a right of way.

I was interested when I first read of these proposed changes during the summer because they reflect almost exactly the existing traffic rules here in LT. Here pedestrians are given priority when crossing junctions and cars are expected to stop for pedestrians waiting or even approaching pedestrian crossings. In practice, and as a driver and a pedestrian, I don't see any downsides. Pedestrians are better protected, any delay is minimal and other drivers can anticipate vehicles having to slow or stop at juctions and crossings.
It sounds as if the Code has been amended on the assumption, probably quite accurate, that many pedestrians are as stupid as logs and must be protected from their own stupidity. Almost none of them, and not that many drivers, will read the new Code anyway.

I'm of a generation that was not surpised if stupidity had consequences.

The possibility of a pedestrian stepping into my path is one more argument in favour of left foot braking. I can cover the brake without having to release the throttle (which in 99% of cases will be what is required - and an inconvenience to those following me if I 'lift').
Bikers cover the brakes while still being on-throttle. Only those who stubbornly believe that only the right foot can be used to brake a car deny themselves (and pedestrians) this extra layer of safety. Less stressful too.

Reactions: Ted
I get why they would add warning systems to electric cars as it will hopefully help, but if you are someone who blindly walks into the road only using your ears, you have to contend with potential cyclists running you down.

There have been fatalities from cyclists hitting pedestrians at speed.

There are a fair few here that promote walking instead of taking a short drive.
We have complaints of the Chelsea taxi brigade running the kids to school round the corner and choking the roads.

If more were more often a pedestrian they would realise that the car drivers believe they have priority, their need to get there sooner takes priority over all else. The priority of the car is often demonstrated by the fum ducks that block a walkway with their bloody thing.

A pedestrian can be stood waiting to cross a road for endless periods while the ever increasing amount of traffic ignores their wish. Imagine those poor sods in the cold when it's raining. Tbh that makes the endless stream of drivers little different to bullies, being bigger.

We often take a walk of over a mile across town. There is one mini roundabout where we cross. 3 roads meet at this point. It can be that cars are stopped waiting their turn, but still don't allow for us to cross in front in case they miss an opportunity at the junction.
Other times we are supposed to wait while they come and go in an endless stream.
A strategy I learned in Ho Chi Min, wait for anything of a gap and go. I carry an LED and wave it downward in flash mode nowadays that makes a difference.

The number of cars that believe they have and should have priority is astounding.

Im sorry but its a road not a foot path, Roads are for vehicles not pedestrians.. They should have priority? Cars cannot use footpaths..
Driver should drive with due care and attention but cannot simply give way because a pedestrian wants to cross the road. The traffic would back up for miles..

Im sorry but its a road not a foot path, Roads are for vehicles not pedestrians.. They should have priority? Cars cannot use footpaths..
Driver should drive with due care and attention but cannot simply give way because a pedestrian wants to cross the road. The traffic would back up for miles..
Pedestrians have priority and always have.

🤣🤣 that's great. I'll tell my kids to play in the road then. And my friends who have horses to ride on the dual carriageway and motorways..

Try telling the cyclists 1st they seem to think they own the footpaths

Roads are for vehicles not pedestrians..
If the walkways were all joined up the pedestrian wouldn't need to use the road to cross it.
But as said the roads need to be shared.

Cars cannot use footpaths..
Only in London apparently.
Selfish parking of footpaths is something that gets my dribbly stuff.
The traffic would back up for miles.
Nowt new there.

As is my usual diagnosis, too many attempting to share too limited pace.
How much nicer life would be for the lesser numbers of this planet had the Chinese strategy, as once was, been adopted.

The highway code has now changed,

Pedestrians have priority on the road.

So now we can get rid of zebra crossings and traffic light pedestrian crossings. They are no longer needed and will save the councils money in maintenance.

Hopefully the next change will be to abolish the drive only on the left rule, abolish pavements, cars will require a man with a flag to walk in front of them to warn people of their presence.

Cant wait for insulate Britain to start their protests again now they have priority to wander around road junctions..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom