Jazz Hands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whenever I read or hear the term snowflake generation I imagine the faint aroma of old man's piss and bad breath.

We have a perfect example of this in our local supermarket. The entrance to the self check out tills is now barriered off with the sign "disabled only" The idea being that when a disabled person comes along, a member of staff will open the barrier and let them in. Meanwhile the other 99.9% of customers are inconvenienced by having to walk the long way around.

The John Lewis not so Superstore at High Wycombe has several, usually empty rows, dedicated to mother and child. The wait for a non reserved space can be excruciating. Starting to think that even at 9 months, it'd might be quicker to queue jump by having a baby.

Whenever I read or hear the term snowflake generation I imagine the faint aroma of old man's piss and bad breath.

Still no idea what a snowflake is.

Snowflake is a derogatory term used for a youth, usually a millenial, who is presumed to be offended at anything and everything and requires constant reassurance.

This millenial generation is a weird thing. As a 48 year old I could have been the parent of a millenial, but I do not recognise the traits in my own 12 year old child and her friends, who all seem quite realistic and resilient.

Snowflake is a derogatory term used for a youth, usually a millenial, who is presumed to be offended at anything and everything and requires constant reassurance.

Well I certainly wanted to be derogatory to the Sainsburys manager that made such a stupid decision. I find it hard to believe he/she is old or they would have more common sense than to inconvenience everybody for no good reason.

Well I certainly wanted to be derogatory to the Sainsburys manager that made such a stupid decision. I find it hard to believe he/she is old or they would have more common sense than to inconvenience everybody for no good reason.
Has it not occurred to you that bleating about the, very minor, inconvenience that you suffered makes you sound just like those that you are so upset about?

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if a clipboard bearer went round Sainsbury's and couldn't tick the "disabled access for self checkout" box, so blocked off one and marked it 'disabled only'. Box ticked and potential bad publicity averted.

Perhaps instead of changing the WHOLE of society to accomodate the minority some sense could prevail?

For instance have one performance of a play marked as suitable for those with sensory needs. In this performance the audience is asked not to clap. As a parent of an autistic child you would look out for such performances.

In the race for inclusion and for none-negative terminology we have forgotten that disability means just that. I would not take a child with sensory overload issues to a football match. I would take him to suitable social events with mitigation in place.

I help out at a youth group and we have one little boy who cannot cope with loud noises, but he wants to join in. So he wears noise cancelling earphones because it would be madness to expect the entire youth group to tiptoe around whispering to each other. If it gets too much for him we do have a quiet space.
You do know that this jazz hands “thing” isn’t about performances? I believe it to be about panel discussions and debates.

Imagine how much more ground could be covered if programmes such as Question Time banned all the pointless, annoying, interrupting applause. I wonder if time constraints are one of the reasons it is banned in Parliament.

Has it not occurred to you that bleating about the, very minor, inconvenience that you suffered makes you sound just like those that you are so upset about?

It's not so much the minor inconvenience that upsets me but the PC, idiotic box ticking decision process that arrives at this barrier in the first place. It's blocking all direct access to the self check out tills for the theoretical benefit of 1 in a 1000 customers. Maybe it's 1 in 10,0000, I've only ever seen one potential customer approach the barrier and they didn't use it anyway. Anyone with ounce of common sense can see it's a ludicrous symbolic gesture with almost zero practical benefit. And yet management lack that vital ounce because its still there, unused week after week. It wouldn't happen in a place like Aldi because they have more sense. Now I wonder why Aldi is always full of customers and increasingly Sainsburys isn't.

Here's a consequence of the snowflake generation. It doesn't bother me but it serves as an illustration

eBay notifications. When you dismiss them all you don't get a message saying "no more notifications".

You get "You're all caught up!"

Like you're 5 years old and need constant geeing up.

Actually, the term was first heard when describing those individuals who were against the abolition of slavery.

You do know that this jazz hands “thing” isn’t about performances? I believe it to be about panel discussions and debates.

Thin end of the wedge? Once that is the new norm....add something else......??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom