Jeep Grand Cherokee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
The fairer half is thinking of a buying a Grand Cherokee. It will probably be the 2.7 CRD(approx 52-53 plate), firstly for economy, secondly because its powered by the Mercedes 270CDi engine. Does/has anyone owned one of these cars, and what are they like with regard to driveabiliy and reliability and service/repair costs? Cheers

Well it's along the lines of our Voyager 2.5 CRD which hubby loves!

It shifts for such a beast and a diesel:D is economical and a dream to drive. They did have some issues with the injection jets onthe early CRDs but these have now been resolved and the diagnostic system picks up any faults easily. It didn't use to until it was upgraded and we had a lot of problems!! They couldn't sort it and were on the verge of taking it down to Miolton Keynes and pulling a team over from Belgium to sort it:eek: . But asimple software upgraded and it's all sorted and it's been a dream ever since.

The Grand Voyager is a lot heavier than the standard and you can feel the impact on the engine too so I would imagine it's similar for the Cherokee with the standard being more powerful than the grand especially when you see how little you actually get for "going grand":D

The new Cherokees are head and shoulders over the old. One word of caution is that running costs are not that cheap. But not quite as much as you'd pay for a MB.

hth

Thanks Pammy-They just look so solid and menacing on the road-Hope they drive nicely and don't break often:)
I feel a trip to the Jeep dealers comming on.:bannana:

May I suggest you think carefully before buying? Depreciation is very heavy which tends to make them look like a bargain 2nd hand. Aircon failures are common (£1000 to fix). Reliability is woeful ( see JD Power customer satisfaction survey - generally near the bottom) Which mag rated it the least reliable out of 30 odd jeeps. The Sat Nav is usually out of date. In 03, they had the highest repairs costs under warranty. Repairs are expensive. Need I go on?

MY friend has had a few now in fact I think every model since they came out and I think they are cracking cars. I had a hard choosing between that and the shogun finally it was that the shogun has 7 seats that made me go with the gun. BTW much better deals can be had of the web then from a Jeep dealer.

my brother is on his second (he gets them through my leasing company) and he loves them - only issue is the transmission tunnel bulges out on the right hand side - not a problem for the american left hand drive model - but is for us - make sure you are happy with the resting position of your left foot when you are driving as this is where the bump is.

other than that no problems.

at the time 02/52 were new - jeep were offering 2 or 3 years free servicing on new models - - so most have a great, Jeep dealer service history

I ran one for a while but just could not get on with the offset pedals, and refinement, I did not think it was that well put together either even by Merc (post-99) standards. In terms of driveability even for a high 4x4 you feel like you are driving on it rather than in it, if that makes any sense. But as has been referenced here they can be a good used buy and if you like it why not?

"You will be sorry" is the same comment rceived back from my cousin and mate who both had one.

My old man, who is a DaimlerChrysler service manager, repeatedly told my cousin not to buy that exact car and..... it was a sack of crap and riddled with problems. Cousin is very sorry he didn't listen.

Just to balance out the comments.... :-(

[Edit: One of the other MBClub members - basmar - his cousin disliked his so much that he went to the Brisbane motorshow around 2000/2001 and discretely approached people trying to put them off by telling them his tales of doom.]

Last edited:
I drove one a few months ago. drove like a tractor. awful IMHO

Not looking good then:confused:

The on-road handling seems to get slated in tests, compared to other SUVs. All depends what your priorities are. If you don't need the "menacing" / "cool" / whatever image of a 4x4 then a full-size MPV gives you the same high driving position and visibility, acres more room inside, better handling, better economy, etc.

Plus there's the higher risk of a 'roll over' accident in a 4x4 - I passed a Disco 2 that had rolled on the M25 (swerving from one lane to another, I imagine) and it wasn't pretty.

Some US built vehicles don't fare very well in the Euro NCAP ratings e.g the Grand Cherokee gets an astonishing ZERO points and ZERO stars for pedestrian protection:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-report.aspx?NA=217758&EL=3145065

Only the 4th vehicle to ever get this score!

we took one out for a test drive - got to the end of the road (less than 100 yards), turned round and took it back

Absolutely awful thing to drive.

I know someone else who has since bought one and returned it due to all the faults

Andy

This is an interesting thread as my son is considering purchasing a second hand one. I have printed out this thread for him to read. Once I quite fancied one of these and having read this now it makes me pleased to have bought a Merc instead. Thanks all

Dad has got an old Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD (M reg) that he uses as a runaround, pulling boats with and general abuse....

Looks like a heap of crap, but has never, ever let him down, however i took it to cornwall one new year and snapped a load of teeth off the ring gear while trying to start it while it was running :crazy: i was then sick in it on the way home due to being so hungover ... Dad was pleased ....

Other than that though, its been good, drives like a magic carpet, rolls more than the titanic, but its ok .... i know its older than the one you are thinking of, perhaps quality has changed a la MB ?

Howard said:
Dad has got an old Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD (M reg) that he uses as a runaround, pulling boats with and general abuse....

Definitely sounds like you generally abused it Howard! :D

Yeah ... he was super p***ed when i got home ..... :mad:

Ok-we have ruled jeep out. Now we have our eye on a 2004 Freelander TD4.....how do you guys/gals rate the freelander?

reflexboy said:
Ok-we have ruled jeep out. Now we have our eye on a 2004 Freelander TD4.....how do you guys/gals rate the freelander?

tee hee - If you are considering a Freelander or a Jeep Cherokee, read all the comments above then go out and buy the Jeep - The freelander is a complete heap of badly constructed half assed off roading crap (imho) and best avoided like the plague.

If you really must buy a newish Landrover then buy a Defender

Andy

andy_k said:
tee hee - If you are considering a Freelander or a Jeep Cherokee, read all the comments above then go out and buy the Jeep - The freelander is a complete heap of badly constructed half assed off roading crap (imho) and best avoided like the plague.

If you really must buy a newish Landrover then buy a Defender

Andy

Sadly i think you are quite correct here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom