Jenson Button and Brawn GP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr Branson called in yesterday. On his way to the most westerly point in mainland Britain. (You can find that yourselves). Came as a surprise to me as he was in Oz Sunday Morning!

Can't say he looked too tired either.

Did you advise him he needs a haircut? He looks like the vagrant chap I saw some time back, wandering the streets in new York - unless it actually was him :confused:

Mr Branson called in yesterday. On his way to the most westerly point in mainland Britain. (You can find that yourselves). Came as a surprise to me as he was in Oz Sunday Morning!

Can't say he looked too tired either.

What was he doing at Ardnamurchan Point ? looking at the lighthouse ?

What was he doing at Ardnamurchan Point ? looking at the lighthouse ?

don't know. he stayed overnight and dashed by about 4 this afternoon. He didn't call in this way.

Did you advise him he needs a haircut? He looks like the vagrant chap I saw some time back, wandering the streets in new York - unless it actually was him :confused:

I don't do hair conversations, sorry

Boringly or interestingly , dependng on your point of view , Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse ( Stevenson design ) is the only 'Egyptian style' lighthouse in the UK ...

I'm a lighthouse anorak .... :eek:

even more boringly, as there is now a fixed link to Skye, so on foot you can get there without getting wet, it is no longer is the most westerly point in the uk!

This is based on some stupid antiquated suggestion (not mine, just various people in this neck of the woods who seem to know more than God *) that if you get a fixed link, you are no longer an island. This is based this on the Isle of Thanet.

Following that to is logical conclusion, means that the whole of Europe and the larger land mass of Asia is now Yorkshire, as we have a fixed link to all of that. Of course, they don't like that view point, so they say is needs to be bridge, not a tunnel, to qualify as a fixed link.

It also spoils their argument about Scottish independance, still, who am I to point this out?

* Same as the statement "there is no tresspass law in Scotland"

I do have the ability to ignore what most people here say. They like to quote things, most of which don't stand up to full scrutiny. To add more, try this one.

"Wearing a kilt is not cold, they are warmer than trousers!"

As Sir Edmund Hilary proved whilst wearing one to clumb Everest.

Boringly or interestingly , dependng on your point of view , Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse ( Stevenson design ) is the only 'Egyptian style' lighthouse in the UK ...

I'm a lighthouse anorak .... :eek:

Did you see Seven Wonders of the Industrial World , it was about the Bell Rock lighthouse. Amazing. Actually each program was very good.

I occasionally don the anorak;).

Mr Blobby Lighthouse

Whilst we are on the Lighthous subject in 2001 I was working out of Port Appin on the West Coast of Scotland and some pranksters painted the 7 meter tall light house the colours of Mr Blobby, people came for miles around to see it, the hotel I was in had never done such good business over the bar and in the restaurant.

_1162552_lighthouse300.jpg

Brawn

Am I the only one that thought that either Button was sand bagging or Barrichello done far better than anyone gave him credit for.

Yes there was a safety car but he still cruised through the field and got to second place.

My ears are still burning from all the stick I took over Smuck Face when i still maintain his driving skills are not those that would ever make me think he was the best Formula 1 driver EVER

I have ALWAYS maintained that his engineer deserved all the acolades and any top driver in a similar position would have done as well as Smuck face. If you have a car that is faster than the opposition then the race is yours to loose.

I still have aqn open mind about the standards of this year's F1 coverage but it had me glued to the screen and hopefully we will see a better race this week-end :)

Ross Brawn is in a different league to any other Formula 1 engineer and has a unique talent of maximising the benefits of any engineering rules. I have also always maintained that he will do anything to make his car the very best.

Did I say cheating?? :)

This diffuser is deemed legal and all credit to Brawn for designing this piece of race winning technology

I still do not understand vettels penalty. he clearly lost the car while braking early and kubica never gave him any space.
If anything, then kimi should have got punished for crashing into sutil at monaco as well

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thought that either Button was sand bagging or Barrichello done far better than anyone gave him credit for.

Yes there was a safety car but he still cruised through the field and got to second place.

The safety car skewd the results by a large, large margin so it's difficult to tell.

However given that Button won the race and bar pit stops, was never not in the lead during all that time despite losing his entire advantage to the safety car, then I'd not say he was sandbagging.

I#d say he lost around 20-30 seconds advantage over most of the field (Vettel excepted) and his victory would have been all the more comfortable had the race gone uninterrupted.

However for the first time in a long time I found myself glued to the screen and edging all over my seat willing him to the finish line.

I'm delighted for Button, I am unashamedly a huge fan and think he has a driving style that is outstanding. I've been waiting for years for him to get the right car.

This sport is now far more than the quality of the driver, you win on equipment and the ability not to stick it in the wall.

Being world champion is more to do with being in the right car at the right time than your own ability. Stirling Moss being a fine example of a world quality driver that never really got the opportunity to chalk up a Formula 1 world title.....

Here's what Stirling thinks of modern racing courtesy of Wikipedia:- Made me chuckle.

"I certainly had an appreciation of the danger which to me was part of the pleasure of racing. To me now racing is - the dangers are taken away: if it's difficult, they put in a chicane. So really now the danger is minimal - which is good, because people aren't hurt. But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. It's rather like if you flirt with a girl, it's more exciting than paying for a prostitute, because while you know you're gonna get it, the other one you don't. And I think with driving a motor car, the danger is a very necessary ingredient. Like if you're cooking, you need salt. You can cook without salt, but it doesn't have the flavor. It's the same with motor racing without danger. For me."

I still do not understand vettels penalty. he clearly lost the car while braking early and kubica never gace him any space.
If anything, then kimi should have got punished for crashing into sutil at monaco as well

I don't quite the penalty either, I thought it was harsh.

It appears it is being reviewed.

However given that Button won the race and bar pit stops, was never not in the lead during all that time despite losing his entire advantage to the safety car, then I'd not say he was sandbagging.

I think he could have gone faster but did the right thing and protected his car and his tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom