JLR and BMW join forces on electric cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that I was told that there will be a JLR designed first generation power train while the second generation collaboration is designed.
I know that there are already JLR staff on secondment in Germany.

Nice merger, maybe they can put it in a Rover 75 for old times sake
BACK TO THE FUTURE? well the year 2000 to be precise when BMW sold part of the Rover group to Ford. Twas always rumoured that BMW had bought Rover Group merely to get their hands on Honda's production technology following the Japanese company's ultimately still born relationship with RG ? Once BMW had gained that, they effectively asset stripped the group selling Landrover to Ford keeping only the Mini brand for themselves . Is this history repeating itself?
Just what does JLR's electric deal with BMW mean?
British Leyland - Wikipedia

I thought BMW were collaborating with Toyota with the latter sharing their hybrid technology and BMW sharing their Diesel engines.

I guess this must be purely electric technology?

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BACK TO THE FUTURE? well the year 2000 to be precise when BMW sold part of the Rover group to Ford. Twas always rumoured that BMW had bought Rover Group merely to get their hands on Honda's production technology following the Japanese company's ultimately still born relationship with RG ?

ARG's production technology would have been enough. BMW had no (other than decades old) experience of producing small cars. ARG had this in spades. At a guess, the appearance of the A-Class told them they would need it.

Once BMW had gained that, they effectively asset stripped the group selling Landrover to Ford keeping only the Mini brand for themselves. Is this history repeating itself?

And all of Land Rover's 4WD knowledge.
Was there not a rash of 4WD X models released before BMW launched FWD models? Maybe mini got there first, but a long gap before BMW badged 2WDs appeared IIRC.

ARG's production technology would have been enough. BMW had no (other than decades old) experience of producing small cars. ARG had this in spades. At a guess, the appearance of the A-Class told them they would need it.
I've been told by someone who was there at a senior level when it happened that Honda couldn't believe that their manufacturing and production engineering IP was being effectively given to BMW. His comment was that a number of senior Honda employees were "suicidal". Land Rover's 4WD knowledge was the icing on the cake (for BMW).

I've been told by someone who was there at a senior level when it happened that Honda couldn't believe that their manufacturing and production engineering IP was being effectively given to BMW. His comment was that a number of senior Honda employees were "suicidal".

I read (print media) that Honda were well hosed off with ARG for cold shouldering them in favour of BMW. Betrayed, in a word. I didn't realise that BMW got Honda'a knowhow as well.

Land Rover's 4WD knowledge was the icing on the cake (for BMW).

An unexpected (for them) bonus seems to be the consensus. Must have started with little respect for LR or it would have known what was coming its way. Rode that gravy train when it arrived though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom