Job Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiff

Car
2001 SLK 230.
As some of you may have read a while ago, I gave up being a mechanic/MOT tester to become a Garage Instructor for a charity-teaching younsters basic mechanics. I am still very happy doing this,and it has been my own "project" since day 1- I fitted out the workshop,sorted out the vehicles we have to work on, and as of last week we are now "public" doing outside work for customers. Downside is I only work 3 days a week,(which looks like it will increase shortly.) I'm finding the big drop in wages pretty tough, although I have more time at home, and manage to do some "homers" to make some extra cash.

I was prepared to slug this out for the time being, but upon opening my emails this evening I found I've been invited to an assesment/interview day for the AA.. a job I've always wanted to do, although this is for a Misfuelling Technician. - Good pay and benefits, and my own van..

What would you do?

P.S

Funnily enough my wife filled up the 190D with petrol the other week:doh:
.. A hose, some petrol containers and the 200E was off again with petrol/Diesel mix, and the 190D got a few gallons of veg in it, both survived without a hiccup - Not so easy nowadays..

go to AA interview and see what happens ..

at least if they offer you a job, you have a choice.

if no interview, no choice

And while you are there, be thorough in checking terms and conditions - and that they will remain. I noticed on a forum post this week someone had said that the AA patrolman called was complaining about a cut in bonus/overtime rate or some such.
Good luck!

Go for the interview - times are hard remember and you sound like you could do with better money and the ability to maintain flexible working. No reason to not still have some involvement in the youngsters workshop

Tiff , I'd have thought that your current job would be interesting and rewarding ( as long as you are working with youngsters who WANT to learn ) ?

On the other hand , being constantly called out to the same incident ( perhaps to repeat customers who are as thick as the proverbial two short planks and completely disinterested in what they drive - otherwise why do they do it ) usually involving the sort of modern , rubbish vehicles I know you hate with a vengeance as much as I do - surely you are going to become sick to the back teeth of it in short order ?

^^ as above, If you don't throw in a few worms, you'll never catch a big one!

Very few people get the chance to work at their ideal job, most of us have to go with whatever pays the bills fastest. A lot depends on what you see as your 'reward' - which may not necessarily be financial. I'd go for the AA interview though, you can then make an informed choice. Good luck with whichever option you choose.

It'll be easier to move sideways within the company than waiting for your dream job.

Let's face it - most jobs nowadays will be lift and tow anyway.

Go for the interview an keep your options open.

Again, go along for the interview - even if you get offered the job, you don't have to accept.

Maybe the "Misfuelling Technician" position could be the first step on the ladder to a more challenging role, if that's what you're looking for. If so, it's good to get a foot in the door and prove your worth - I know our company prefers to promote internally rather than recruit from outside.

Good luck whatever. :thumb:

Cheers,

Gaz

I agree with the other postings- go for the interview and see what happens.

My job is in finance, specifically personal taxation- I can't stand it, but, as said, it pays the bills and gives my family a pretty good standard of living. What I saying is most jobs or even careers have a degree of routine and are often a compromise.

Good luck with the interview mate.

My experience is that you go to the interview not being desperate for the job, you are likely to get it....

I agree though, better to have the option to decide than not.

Why not go for the interview, and if they offer you a job negotiate something that would allow you to maintain working with the kids? Might be a long-shot, but at the same time they might say yes ;)

Yep, as others said, definitely go to the interview...

As for job satisfaction - you will have it with the AA as well. If you help people out in their time of need, 9 out of 10 will be very appreciative and you will get that nice warm feeling of having done a good deed. Plus you get paid for it.

Hmmm , I wonder if the role of an AA man these days is largely dealing with people too lazy or incompetent to change a wheel ( elderly or disabled excepted ) , those who have run out of petrol or locked their keys in the car . Pretty much the same people who habitually misfuel .

Actual mechanical breakdowns probably account for a minority of callouts .

Last edited:
As Bellow said check the terms and conditions with care.
SWIMBO used to have lots of contact with Patrolmen about 3 years ago. Not that she broke down a lot (she drives a Jazz:ban:) But was an Occupational Health Advisor to the AA as part of a contract she had. The patrolmen were not happy teddy bears at all with the change in their working practices then, never mind now. The AA does get "sold" every now and again. And I'm sure their will be measures of performance and all sorts of "World Class Jargon" to get used to - again.

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Great advice as always!

I have had a happy couple of hours out in the garage fettling the Trabant,and having a good think- decided I love working on cars, just not for a car repair company.Where I am just now I can go in in the morning and decide whether to work on our Porsche 924, our old Balkan motorbike, or just have a chat with the lads.Its been a long time since I've looked forward to going to work,and nearly as long since I've enjoyed tinkering and restoring older stuff. Happy but skint I'll stay I reckon. If it had been roadside patrol I'd be much more torn between the two.

Tiff, I think you just need an extra bit of income - which should be possible and still be your own boss.
Pontoneer made some valid points re hours etc, and you would meet some thankless SOBs who would leave you wishing you had p!ssed in their tank than sorted it for them.
Also, I remember looking at a patrolman job and I seem to remember it being a franchise - money up front or deducted for van, uniform, etc - next thing you know you're paying rental in the manner of a lap dancer.

Not that any of that should stop you going to the interview if you feel like it!!..

I'd go to the interview. Whats there to lose.

Could you not do it part time and your current one in the remaining time.

We work for a reason, isnt the joy of it, its for the cash we get in returning for selling our time. Satisfaction and enjoyment are just a bonus. I am luckier to have that "bonus" with my job, but I did not going in expecting it.

It is better to regret something you have done, as opposed to something you haven't done....:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom