Job offers how long can it take ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny DeVito

Car
V220 CDI
Last of my complaints for this evening ( not likely ) But i applied for a job. Its a job i did before as a sub contractor. Now the main company want to employ directly. It took about 3 weeks before i got a call for interview. The interview turned out to be the manager i reported to before. He tells of a very short list and expect a call today. I'm fed up waiting !! How long can it take to decide between a very short list ? What is it that takes so long ?

All answers gratefully received

My fastest result was 15mins after leaving the interview

If you have worked for this manager before,ring him and ask for the score,if nothing else
it shows you are keen.Good luck.

I may wait monday out at least. It makes no sense. they said they NEED someone to start asap. the 2nd engineer has been out months with back injury. and summer gets really busy with paint companies. Or is urgent meaning lets trundle along in Big Company speak ?

I know its frustrating but the manager in question may be very busy and sometimes the quickest of tasks get put back by unforeseen events that need instant attention.

Decision may have already been made but requires to be "ratified" further up the food chain. The "official senior rubber stamp guy" may be on the golf course this weekend.;)

Most hiring managers in my experience want to hire a candidate that is out of their reach (when they have several candidates who are qualified for the role in question). I think it may be basic human nature to "desire" what you cannot have. So sometimes it pays to show that you are keen, but not desperate and may be even considering other options/offers.

Of course this approach can backfire if you are not their top choice as it may push them to go the extra mile to secure their top choice candidate if they think that they may not be able to secure their second choice candidate!

Still waiting for my reply from Jim'll Fix It. 37 years now.

My experience in some pretty senior appointment processes, both on panels and applying myself, is that those doing the appointing like to make the phone call to offer a job but are a bit short on manners and spine when it comes to telling the unsuccessful. It's weak form in my eyes.

This doesn't automatically translate to your situation... So good luck!

Still nothing. Tried phoning yesterday and they were at a meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom