Job Satisfaction?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by brucemillar, Nov 21, 2015.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Folks What little jobs have managed to complete that give you that smug grin. The grin that you retain in the face of others lack of understanding of your skill and brilliance.

Today I completed fitting new "grain of sand" 12v light bulbs to all of my instrument switches in my Mistsubishi Pajero. A common fault in these told trucks. In the dark you end up groping around for switches, not good. Each bulb has to be threaded into a small rubber retainer with wire wrapped around the connector (like threading a button). Then a small coloured cap is fitted to each bulb before re-assembling the switch, which hopefully did not go pedoing across the kitchen floor when you took it apart.

So..... Smug am I. Wife thinks I am a nut case. "It's only a switch" "Why did you not just buy a new one" "does it really matter" Hmmmmmm.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. del320

del320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Coupe
    ^
    I thought groping around in the dark was one of your little peccadillos...

2 people like this.
  3. boxbrownie

boxbrownie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350Cdi BE now replaced, E220 2013MY just for a bit.....
    My career when I retired early two years ago :D

4. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
    Ditto but 8 months ago as well as the time and effort spent recently preparing to be a witness in a commercial litigation case in The High Court.

5. KennyN

KennyN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    I made a camber gauge for checking / adjusting the settings on my `02 Saab 9-3. The rear camber is non-adjustable and i had to shim the hubs to achieve the desired , non tyre wearing , setting. It cost a fortune in man hours but that isnt the point is it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a tool for compressing the rear springs in situ on the CLS to remove the "options" spacers to lower the rear ride height a little.

[​IMG]

Kenny

1 person likes this.
  6. Deleted96908

Deleted96908 Guest

Cool - it's attention to detail that makes a man (or woman).

chris

1 person likes this.
  7. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Less of a job, more of a task.
    Not a hope in hell of getting the car up the driveway onto the road - one continuous sheet of ice I can't even walk on. Cycling too dangerous (I need a broken bone like I need another orifice) so I walked the three and a half miles to collect a paper. Well, most of it (hitched - yes, thumb out - and) got a lift the last mile to the shop but the return was all on foot.
    Not that big a deal and I know many here walk much greater distances but it achieved the objective when all other methods were beyond reach. Yeah, feels good!

8. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    In our humble abode there's a lot still left to do :(.

It's a bit of a busman's holiday for me, but as I complete each bit, my satisfaction scale goes through the roof :thumb:.

IMO those who can't DIY are missing out, though I accept that part way through a job, when it isn't going well,I don't always feel that way :D.

9. Giantvanman

Giantvanman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    Making it through a day without calling calling someone who is patently practised at being stupid, stupid. Does that count? :D

10. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    Is it ok that I feel smug that our humble home is 100% tip-top? A builder with OCD I am. Looking at the state of some builders houses I'm very surprised they ever get any work.

Not being blessed with many brain cells I feel smug when I manage to do the numbers on countdown and Mrs Ant fails. (She's the clever one and I've got the common sense) my 10 year old daughter strokes my shoulder saying "awww, well done Dad!"

Ant.

11. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Souter's ain bairns.
    You live far enough north Ant to recognise that one!

12. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    You lost me there mucca. :dk:

Ant