Job Satisfaction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks What little jobs have managed to complete that give you that smug grin. The grin that you retain in the face of others lack of understanding of your skill and brilliance.

Today I completed fitting new "grain of sand" 12v light bulbs to all of my instrument switches in my Mistsubishi Pajero. A common fault in these told trucks. In the dark you end up groping around for switches, not good. Each bulb has to be threaded into a small rubber retainer with wire wrapped around the connector (like threading a button). Then a small coloured cap is fitted to each bulb before re-assembling the switch, which hopefully did not go pedoing across the kitchen floor when you took it apart.

So..... Smug am I. Wife thinks I am a nut case. "It's only a switch" "Why did you not just buy a new one" "does it really matter" Hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Folks What little jobs have managed to complete that give you that smug grin. The grin that you retain in the face of others lack of understanding of your skill and brilliance.

My career when I retired early two years ago :D

Ditto but 8 months ago as well as the time and effort spent recently preparing to be a witness in a commercial litigation case in The High Court.

I made a camber gauge for checking / adjusting the settings on my `02 Saab 9-3. The rear camber is non-adjustable and i had to shim the hubs to achieve the desired , non tyre wearing , setting. It cost a fortune in man hours but that isnt the point is it.

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1171.jpg

I also made a tool for compressing the rear springs in situ on the CLS to remove the "options" spacers to lower the rear ride height a little.

IMG_02841_zpspy8slgjb.jpg

Kenny

A common fault in these told trucks. In the dark you end up groping around for switches, not good. Each bulb has to be threaded into a small rubber retainer with wire wrapped around the connector (like threading a button). Then a small coloured cap is fitted to each bulb before re-assembling the switch, which hopefully did not go pedoing across the kitchen floor when you took it apart.

So..... Smug am I. Wife thinks I am a nut case. "It's only a switch" "Why did you not just buy a new one" "does it really matter" Hmmmmmm.

Cool - it's attention to detail that makes a man (or woman).

chris

Less of a job, more of a task.
Not a hope in hell of getting the car up the driveway onto the road - one continuous sheet of ice I can't even walk on. Cycling too dangerous (I need a broken bone like I need another orifice) so I walked the three and a half miles to collect a paper. Well, most of it (hitched - yes, thumb out - and) got a lift the last mile to the shop but the return was all on foot.
Not that big a deal and I know many here walk much greater distances but it achieved the objective when all other methods were beyond reach. Yeah, feels good!

In our humble abode there's a lot still left to do :(.

It's a bit of a busman's holiday for me, but as I complete each bit, my satisfaction scale goes through the roof :thumb:.

IMO those who can't DIY are missing out, though I accept that part way through a job, when it isn't going well,I don't always feel that way :D.

Making it through a day without calling calling someone who is patently practised at being stupid, stupid. Does that count? :D

Is it ok that I feel smug that our humble home is 100% tip-top? A builder with OCD I am. Looking at the state of some builders houses I'm very surprised they ever get any work.

Not being blessed with many brain cells I feel smug when I manage to do the numbers on countdown and Mrs Ant fails. (She's the clever one and I've got the common sense) my 10 year old daughter strokes my shoulder saying "awww, well done Dad!"

Ant.

Is it ok that I feel smug that our humble home is 100% tip-top? A builder with OCD I am. Looking at the state of some builders houses I'm very surprised they ever get any work.

Souter's ain bairns.
You live far enough north Ant to recognise that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom