John Peel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Sad Sad news

and so unbelievable.

Enjoy your music John. :rock:

A true radio legend. Sure to be missed by all.

Deepest sympathy to his family...

Just goes to show you never know how much time you have got.

RIP john

radio one has lost the greatest presenter they ever had, ive been listening to the john peel show since i was allowed to stay up that late

RIP

Sad news.Poor chap, just when he was ready to enjoy the autumn years of his life.

he will probably be lookign down now thinking how do i get my record colection up here?

its been quite nice listening to radio one hearing the sheer amount of messages people ahve been sending in for john peel

he was a large part of my late night listening when i was sent to bed but had my walkman under the covers

my condolances to his family

Sad News

I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio today. :(

I met him about 5 years ago at a record stall in Newport indoor market, one of his regular places for picking up obscure records apparantly. A real one off who'll be missed.

I was really shocked when I heard the news :(

Best Wishes to his family.

S.

Cant imagine late night radio without JP :(

I dont remember ANY other personality's death having such a profound effect on me
I too was listening ot the likes of the Souxsie/Selecter/Jam/999/Fall/Undertones and particularly Elvis Costello - and its just amazing that he had the same sense of enthusiasm for Indie as he did for punk. He was a 65 yr old man into D&B FFS
I dont remember ANY other personality's death having such a profound effect on me

Jarvis Cocker summed it up for me tonight on the tribute board

It would be absolutely impossible to write a history of the last 40 years of the British music scene without mentioning John Peel's name. He was one of those few people about whom you could truly say that the world would have been a much different place without him.

For many years he almost single-handedly championed new & challenging music in the U.K. Through his radio sessions he allowed unknown & unsigned bands to be heard for the first time. Through his work with the BBC World Service he brought some of those same bands to a Worldwide audience. On the few occasions I was fortunate enough to meet him I found him to be a witty but quite shy man who was completely unimpressed by the "razzmatazz" of the music industry but who could instantly lay his hands on any obscure single you could mention hearing on his show whilst in your teens.

My teens were when Peel was most important to me I guess: the local radio stations wouldn't play any "Punk Rock" cos they thought it "wasn't music". One night in frustration I started tuning the dial & suddenly - Bang! - there it was; I caught the end of an Elvis Costello track, heard the dry, slightly droney voice that followed & I was hooked. A whole new world opened up - stuff that you would never get to hear anywhere else. & it was fun! It wasn't dry & academic - the monologues that invariably followed each song were often as entertaining as the tracks themselves (sometimes more so).

In a world that is becoming ever more homogenised & pre-programmed John Peel stuck up for the "sore thumbs" of the music scene & I really can't think of anyone who could have done it better or who's going to do it now he's gone. I will miss him greatly & my utmost sympathy goes out to his friends & family.

and another very moving thought

Shifty
Very, very sad. A true light has gone out. Thousands of bands got heard because of John, thousands now never will.

Rest in peace John

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom