John Prine on a Ventilator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
TINY MUSIC DESK TRIBUTE- John Paul White's version of Sam Stone is outstanding. 9 minutes in
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought I was sort of into Country music, but I have to admit I’d never heard of him, nor, having followed some of the links posted on this thread, any songs I recognised.

However, I’m sure he’d never heard of me or any songs I wrote, so that makes us even.

John Paul White's version of Sam Stone is outstanding - it certainly is. Thanks for posting this, Graeme.

@ Baxlin-
You may find that many followers of the traditional country music scene won't have heard of him either. Although many of his songs adopt a narrative and musical style reminiscent of country music [ Folk rock, Country Rock] the subject matter diverges sufficiently to differentiate it. In that repect he was similar to Bob Dylan who uses a variety of musical genres to get his message across? NASHVILLE SKYLINE being a prime example.

@ Baxlin-
You may find that many followers of the traditional country music scene won't have heard of him either. Although many of his songs adopt a narrative and musical style reminiscent of country music [ Folk rock, Country Rock] the subject matter diverges sufficiently to differentiate it. In that repect he was similar to Bob Dylan who uses a variety of musical genres to get his message across? NASHVILLE SKYLINE being a prime example.
I take you point, but I’ve been in bands on and off since the sixties, with traditional (ie finger in the ear - sorry if that offends) folk, and classical music being about the only genres I could happily live without. No reflection on John Prine that I’ve never heard of him or his music, I’m just rather surprised that I haven’t.

I thought I was sort of into Country music, but I have to admit I’d never heard of him, nor, having followed some of the links posted on this thread, any songs I recognised.

However, I’m sure he’d never heard of me or any songs I wrote, so that makes us even.

I`d never head of him until I was 58 and did not understand how I had missed him. I found Steve Goodman too and Guy Clark.
A clever man with simple words and a strong message. R.I.P John.

I probably bumped into his music maybe 10 years ago.
A few of my pals do Speed of the Sound of Loneliness at the local jam session.

We kind of ended up taking the mick out of them......you come home late and you come home early.........

Now I sit out the back of the house and sing this, suits me being only 3 cords. :)

No he has died from covid-19 infection He had already dodged several bullets that might have silenced a lesser man e.g.
WIKIPEDIA
In early 1998, Prine was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer on the right side of his neck. He had major surgery to remove a substantial amount of diseased tissue, followed by six weeks of radiation therapy. The surgery removed a piece of his neck and severed a few nerves in his tongue, while the radiation damaged some salivary glands. A year of recuperation and speech therapy was necessary before he could perform again. The operation altered his vocals and added a gravelly tone to his voice.
In 2013, Prine underwent surgery to remove cancer in his left lung. After the surgery, a physical therapist put him through an unusual workout to build stamina: Prine was required to run up and down his house stairs, grab his guitar while still out of breath and sing two songs. Six months later, he was touring again

Do you not have google?
Yes i do have Google,, and i use it more than you do ,,its the Holly Grail . But the topic was about the singer, and i thought it quicker than going over to Google to find out .I could say the same for every question that i am asked on the forum -can you use Google ! ,, how about you ?

Yes i do have Google,, and i use it more than you do ,,its the Holly Grail . But the topic was about the singer, and i thought it quicker than going over to Google to find out .I could say the same for every question that i am asked on the forum -can you use Google ! ,, how about you ?
I really don't know.

With lots of theories being circulated by "armchair virologists " its easy to forget that each death represents immense personal loss for relatives and friends- a short story 2.50.30 in
and a song

Last edited:
With the great Tom Petty- used as a trailer for tomorrows retrospective.
“Picture Show: A Tribute Celebrating John Prine” will premiere this Thursday, June 11 at 7:30pm ET/6:30pm CT/4:30pm PT across multiple platforms including Prine’s YouTube, Facebook and Twitch channels.

Grober that was a good tribute to John . After i heard the song , well i will put that another way,, after i heard the first few lines it bought a tear to my eye .Its sounds a lot like my life right now .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom