Joining a dual carriageway or motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Standards must be very poor north of the border, I don't see much of this at all.

I agree in my experience also, but I do see some
I do note though that older sections of motorway seem to have shorter slip roads than newer ones making filtering in more difficult with the increase in traffic.

I have never seen it either. But then, I try not to go to Scotland too often.

Standards must be very poor north of the border, I don't see much of this at all.

Funny then that this thread was started by a member from the south of England and has mostly been perpetuated by members south of the border .

I don't think it is isolated to any particular area : poor driving can be seen everywhere .

There is also a misconception that throwing on a signal , as if to say 'I'm coming out' confers some sort of authority which it does not.

It might also be construed as a polite 'ask'? As in...I'm about to join in front of you if that's all right? There are quite a few ***** who, given that you've NOT asked them, might just decide to say 'NO...I was here first'.

One of my other pet hates is people who trafficate left after an overtake, this is quite simply wrong as you are supposed to move back over to the left after overtaking and no need to signal this intention , people who do this on an advanced test will be marked down for it.

Try this in Spain where it is mandatory and something the Spanish cops are hard on enforcing. So who has the mandate on who is right and who is wrong, some HUHOA IAM examiner or the Spanish legal system?

Last edited:
One of my other pet hates is people who trafficate left after an overtake , this is quite simply wrong as you are supposed to move back over to the left after overtaking and no need to signal this intention , people who do this on an advanced test will be marked down for it . Of course , unusual circumstances may bring exceptions , hence I said 'very seldom' , but with proper observation and planning you should hardly ever need to signal lane changes on multi lane roads .

I would rather someone signal to come back when there is no need, than someone don't bother, to simply follow crap rules, when it could be a benefit.

If someone is pulling back in from lane 3 or 4 then it allows someone who is pulling out from lane 1 or 2 to see what they are doing and stops and meeting in the middle.

gIzzE said:
I would rather someone signal to come back when there is no need, than someone don't bother, to simply follow crap rules, when it could be a benefit. If someone is pulling back in from lane 3 or 4 then it allows someone who is pulling out from lane 1 or 2 to see what they are doing and stops and meeting in the middle.

Driving a van on the motorway with limited view of behind apart from your door mirrors, people indicating back in after an overtake whilst I'm in lane one is hugely beneficial. It's too easy to get caught out and indicate to lane two, only for the knob jockey overtaking in lane three speeding on into lane 2 without indicating

The problem is that so many DON'T give it , or many other aspects of driving , any thought : they are the ones who get into conflict with other road users and cause crashes , or worse !

You are wrong,

Those of us who manage to get about without giving thought to imaginary issues just get on with it with no drama, conflict, crashes or other incidence.

It's those who are constantly tutting at the standards of others who seem to be at the root of any bother.

One of my other pet hates is people who trafficate left after an overtake , this is quite simply wrong as you are supposed to move back over to the left after overtaking and no need to signal this intention , people who do this on an advanced test will be marked down for it . Of course , unusual circumstances may bring exceptions , hence I said 'very seldom' , but with proper observation and planning you should hardly ever need to signal lane changes on multi lane roads .

I cannot understand the logic of this at all & to me it is just plain wrong. Sounds like a recipe for disaster on 3 lane motorway with cars moving R from the slow lane at the same time as you are moving L from the fast lane. (Please no lecture about the correct IAM names for the lanes, everybody understands slow, middle & fast lanes.)

Signalling all the time is generally taught to novices until they develop the skill and experience to be able to determine when and when not to signal.

Again, crazy. Are the advanced drivers trying to save wear & tear to their signals, is there a bet on to see who can make their bulbs last the longest? That's all well & good until there's someone there you haven't spotted & you proceed as though you are alone on the road.

Seems to me the downside of signalling when there isn't anyone there is SFA while the downside of not signalling when there is someone there could be a big bang.

I find people merge too slowly...

This is not a problem I've ever had. Join at speed and merge in then adapt to flow of traffic.

If someone is in the way a minor adjustment of my right pedal puts me a couple car lengths in front ;)

Pontoneer said:
The problem is that so many DON'T give it , or many other aspects of driving , any thought : they are the ones who get into conflict with other road users and cause crashes , or worse !
lewyboy said:
You are wrong, Those of us who manage to get about without giving thought to imaginary issues just get on with it with no drama, conflict, crashes or other incidence. It's those who are constantly tutting at the standards of others who seem to be at the root of any bother.
Sounds like the old story of the people who claim to have never had an accident, but seen lots very close to them! Oh the bliss of ignorance. Until of course they're involved in an "accident" when of course it's always the other person's fault, even if they could have avoided it altogether with a bit extra thought. And perhaps lots of those who "manage to get about without giving thought to imaginary issues" only achieve this when they've made mistakes because they've been lucky enough to be around others who do give it some thought. All I know is that because far too many people drive around in their own little bubble, I'll continue to follow Pontoneer's advice of looking out for and being prepared for the actions of the less thoughtful.

Sounds like the old story of the people who claim to have never had an accident, but seen lots very close to them! Oh the bliss of ignorance. Until of course they're involved in an "accident" when of course it's always the other person's fault, even if they could have avoided it altogether with a bit extra thought. And perhaps lots of those who "manage to get about without giving thought to imaginary issues" only achieve this when they've made mistakes because they've been lucky enough to be around others who do give it some thought. All I know is that because far too many people drive around in their own little bubble, I'll continue to follow Pontoneer's advice of looking out for and being prepared for the actions of the less thoughtful.

My posts 54 and 56 sum up my position, it's really rather easy, no red faced ladies swearing at me thanks.

I can't read them because the numbers aren't shown on my iPad. But perhaps a bit more thought and paying attention would have avoided this (which I found whilst trying to search for the posts you referred to):
lewyboy said:
I had a letter from the police asking me who was driving my car as I was caught on camera at 68 in a 50 zone on the Severn Bridge, just before the tolls westbound. I'm a bit annoyed as I genuinley thought I was OK, didn't notice the 50mph signs, I was driving very conservatively on a Sunday morning and the road was dead quiet. The query is this: I've been advised to challenge the conviction as the road is owned by a private company, French I believe. Any thought on whether this is likely to suceed? I'll not deny I was driving or that I was speeding, basically honest but if I can avoid the fine and another 3 points I'll try it. Thanks

I can't read them because the numbers aren't shown on my iPad. But perhaps a bit more thought and paying attention would have avoided this (which I found whilst trying to search for the posts you referred to):

From 10 years ago.

Have you nothing better to do?

10 ****ing years ago??

Hahahahaha, you went through 10 years of my posting history to find that?

You will do anything to try and win an argument won't you.

You spent an hour trawling through the drivel that I post to find that I was caught speeding on an empty motorway.

Oh, FFS. Here we go again...

You missed a bit out, didn't you? What the man actually said was: "Those of us who manage to get about without giving thought to imaginary issues just get on with it with no drama, conflict, crashes or other incidence".

I have three mirrors; I use all of them; I can and do look over both shoulders (when necessary) to be sure the way is clear before I change lanes; I don't usually indicate if there is no other traffic to benefit from my signal. I've never seen any accidents very close to me, either.

Last edited:
You spent an hour trawling through the drivel that I post to find that I was caught speeding on an empty motorway.

You sound surprised! That is what they do on this part of the forum!!

This is the famous thread where someone suggested they chase people off the road who fail to join a dual carriageway to their liking and stop them and 'have a word' and it didn't so much as warrant a mention as the borderline psychotic behaviour that it is, but fail to indicate when there is no one around to see your indication and you are treated like a leper.

It's a perfectly normal well balanced forum though ;)

I still actually care about how I drive and how others think I drive. That is a wasted concept but it comforts me.

I agree with this. I care how people view me, even if I am anonymous to them, as is the case when driving.

It's all part of acting predictably and most importantly in my world, with dignity. I always apologise first in an attempt to diffuse a situation - as can be noted on this forum. I find no need to always be right, anonymous in a car, or otherwise. Not to say I'm not prepared to escalate the situation if the other side continues to act dickwise.

Out of touch with reality perhaps, but I believe Chaucer had it right when he spoke of a chivalrous, brave and elegant knights - coincidentally, in love with beautiful ladies ;) .

This is the famous thread where someone suggested they chase people off the road who fail to join a dual carriageway to their liking and stop them and 'have a word' and it didn't so much as warrant a mention

*cough*

:D
It could be read that you've blocked their path then chased after them.

If I attempted to "have a chat" with everyone who slighted me on the roads, I'd never get to my destination.

lewyboy said:
From 10 years ago. Have you nothing better to do? 10 ****ing years ago?? Hahahahaha, you went through 10 years of my posting history to find that? You will do anything to try and win an argument won't you. You spent an hour trawling through the drivel that I post to find that I was caught speeding on an empty motorway.
Scrolling through the titles of threads you started probably took less than a minute, with the one entitled "Speeding" easily standing out. I know from far too many of your more recent posts that you find lots of threads boring, but find yourself unable to ignore the threads instead of voicing your negative opinion. Of course you're perfectly entitled to do so, your opinion being as valued as anyone else's. Also, I congratulate you on your admission that you post drivel, just as most of us do! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom