Joining a dual carriageway or motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
E55BOF said:
No, it is wryly highlighting the tendency on this forum for endless circular discussion, analysis and ultimately fairly pointless discussion of minor driving behaviours, which even I (and I bow to few when it comes to pedantry when there is a valid point to be made) eventually find tedious. Of course, I may not do so when I eventually retire fully; time will tell. In the meantime, get a life.
I'm sorry that you find "minor driving behaviours" tedious, especially since those "minor driving behaviours" could be the difference to life or death on the road. If you don't understand that then I can only suggest that you try thinking for a change. In the meantime, I have a very good life thank you, no doubt helped to last because I try to pay attention to minor driving behaviours ;)

I'm sorry that you find "minor driving behaviours" tedious, especially since those "minor driving behaviours" could be the difference to life or death on the road. If you don't understand that then I can only suggest that you try thinking for a change. In the meantime, I have a very good life thank you, no doubt helped to last because I try to pay attention to minor driving behaviours ;)

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

The fact that you feel the need to remind the forum, in such tedious detail, about your car in every post - "2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine (One of only a few in the UK)" - tells me quite a lot about you and your life. I'm glad it is good, and I'm equally glad it is not mine.

Now feel free to have the last word; I suspect you're the type who always has to...

Last edited:
That car was sliding sideways for a very long way judging by the tyre marks!

For those who expressed a complete lack of concern in this old thread over the way that many motorists enter motorways. If this was one of our members, I hope you avoided serious injury.

View attachment 76264
You must be relieved to unburden yourself of that after so long.

Of course, it is possible that as the MB was entering lane one from the slip, the HGV was pulling back from lane two into lane one after passing another vehicle...

just putting an alternative view...

I'm with knighterrant on this. Too many people joining from a slip road just expect you to move and sometimes you can't. Even being polite is not necessary a smart thing to do in the long term as it just leads to lax driving standards and raises the expectancy that people will always move for them. You could argue that's what has caused the problem, that and the fact that they haven't read the highway code.

Also vehicles shouldn't be moving From lane 2 to lane 1 in the vicinity of a slip road at least not unless they are certain the road is clear. That's what the changed lane markings are there for.

Last edited:
I finally got around to uploading some footage. two weeks ago I was stuck behind a car doing 30mph on a near empty 60mph road. Started down the slip road to the M11 and he carried on doing 30mph, I have no idea what sort of carnage he might have nearly caused as I decided to not sit behind him and find out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For those with lives to live, the action starts at 4:45

Lovely month old GLC there.

I've had that happen to me a couple of times. Idiots hitting the slip road and just maintaining their 25/30 mph right to the end, zero acceleration happening, then they "merge in", get flashed and honked by the truck had to do a nose-stand to avoid potting it like a pool ball, and they look confused! In that case, when I'd realised they hadn't just missed a gear and are just idiots I had to pull around them and boot it to make motorway speeds in time. I honestly think they always assume that less speed must be safer.

I've also seen this when the person has panicked last minute, as a truck was coming, and they weren't going quick enough, STOP at the end of the slip road and cause themselves even more trouble. :eek:

Here’s me, started reading the thread, giving likes out to posts that are 3 years old!

Ha, it doesn't matter. People will still see those likes when they next check the forum, and it'll let them know there's been a revival and they can re-cap. :)

I finally got around to uploading some footage. two weeks ago I was stuck behind a car doing 30mph on a near empty 60mph road. Started down the slip road to the M11 and he carried on doing 30mph, I have no idea what sort of carnage he might have nearly caused as I decided to not sit behind him and find out.

He / she probably wouldn’t have a clue if the did cause some carnage, oblivious to what’s going on around them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't have sat behind that for as long as you did!

The problem is the standard of driving,many do not attempt to match the traffic on duel or motorways,if you have a car doing say 60 mph on a slip then you can adjust slightly and they can join without too much bother,but what happens all too often is they attempt like that photo to join just in front of a HGV or try to drive into it's side because they have not used mirrors they then brake and then because they are running out of slip,they the attempt to join after the truck at 30 mph result mayhem,I must admit when it comes to motorway services I try to be always in the middle or outside lane,.

Perhaps someone with poor eyesight who ought not to be driving during hours of darkness ; the braking whenever there was oncoming traffic on the single carriageway would also support this theory .

Why should someone in pyjamas affect the way they drive or think about driving - how bizarre?
If one lived in Liverpool, where I live - you see women go shopping in curlers and dressing gowns!

My biggest whinge is that the majority of drivers (male and female) no longer regard driving as challenging/demanding/dangerous.
They simply treat it as a cubicle to keep them dry and warm getting them from A to B.
Because of that attitude - the highway code is irrelevant. QED: conflict.

Ah bless.
It's challenging because of morons who join motorways without stopping and having to plan ahead for them.
It's demanding because you then have to adjust your thinking to second guess whether they've seen you and simply don't care.
It's dangerous because the burke who was previously in the middle lane, suddenly and without indicating - pulls out into the outside lane right in front of me!

You can't travel more than 5 minutes without coming across one moron after another who are oblivious to the fact they are driving a tonne + of metal at speed and haven't got a clue about their surroundings.

It is very demanding these days to get from A to B without some moron or other disrupting your journey.
Driving tests should be every 5 years atleast or without it you can't get insurance.

If you describe an activity as guiding a 2 tonne projectile at variable velocities, avoiding collision with numerous other projectiles some of which weigh 40 tonnes and all travelling at different velocities and in different directions then I agree "driving" is a business that needs to be taken more seriously than many currently do. The inclusion of 57 airbags and other safety systems hasn't helped with drivers attitudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom