Joining a dual carriageway or motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah change the airbag to a 3inch spike and see how people's driving improves

Ah bless.
It's challenging because of morons who join motorways without stopping and having to plan ahead for them.
It's demanding because you then have to adjust your thinking to second guess whether they've seen you and simply don't care.
It's dangerous because the burke who was previously in the middle lane, suddenly and without indicating - pulls out into the outside lane right in front of me!

You can't travel more than 5 minutes without coming across one moron after another who are oblivious to the fact they are driving a tonne + of metal at speed and haven't got a clue about their surroundings.

It is very demanding these days to get from A to B without some moron or other disrupting your journey.
Driving tests should be every 5 years atleast or without it you can't get insurance.
I’m glad I don’t seem to drive on the same roads as you do , since none of these things routinely happen to me .

If I felt that other road users , who have equal right to be there and use the roads , were ‘morons’ and ‘disruptions’ to my , obviously , much more important journeys , then perhaps an attitude readjustment might be in order .

When the traffic conditions are light, I much prefer to be in lane 2 around junctions & slip roads..

"driving" is a business that needs to be taken more seriously than many currently do.

One wonders whether in part this is due to an increasing viewpoint that possession of a driving licence is a defacto right, rather than a privilege of skill and ability.

Reactions: 219
I’m glad I don’t seem to drive on the same roads as you do , since none of these things routinely happen to me .

If I felt that other road users , who have equal right to be there and use the roads , were ‘morons’ and ‘disruptions’ to my , obviously , much more important journeys , then perhaps an attitude readjustment might be in order .
I agree, I see more inconsiderate drivers than I would like, but fortunately "moronic" behaviour isn't something I see often.

I’ve had almost no issues at all on UK motorways, apart from potholes.

There are a few middle lane hoggers, but just overtake them and get on with your life. ;)

i get flashed doing 70 mph in the middle lane by motorists not nudists and perverts , is that my fault ? i dont use motorways and when i do i get a bit f****d off tbh .

i get flashed doing 70 mph in the middle lane by motorists

If you are in the middle lane when the left lane is clear then yes it’s your fault.

If you are overtaking lorries/traffic in the left lane then the middle lane is fine.

If you are going ‘German car’ supersonic mode then right hand lane it is. ;)

If you are in the middle lane when the left lane is clear then yes it’s your fault.

If you are overtaking lorries/traffic in the left lane then the middle lane is fine.

If you are going ‘German car’ supersonic mode then right hand lane it is. ;)

its time the uk gov made the right lane open speed limit then .

its time the uk gov made the right lane open speed limit then .

I’m not sure if you are trolling or not but anyway...
It would help I’d people like you also drive within the law ;)
I find it really difficult to comprehend why people really don’t understand that driving in the middle lane is wrong if the inside lane is clear.

I find it really difficult to comprehend why people really don’t understand that driving in the middle lane is wrong if the inside lane is clear.

i rarely drive on motorways so wasnt sure , thats why i asked , i dont see why you would see that as trolling , now i know the answer , ill drive accordingly , ill get back under my bridge now ..

i rarely drive on motorways so wasnt sure , thats why i asked , i dont see why you would see that as trolling , now i know the answer , ill drive accordingly , ill get back under my bridge now ..

At least you are willing to ask and learn, that’s a really good quality. If only everyone would Be like that :)

Many motorists hold the (incorrect) view that the left lane is the 'slow lane' for trucks etc., middle lane is the 'normal or cruise lane' and outside lane the overtaking lane.

Many motorists hold the (incorrect) view that the left lane is the 'slow lane' for trucks etc., middle lane is the 'normal or cruise lane' and outside lane the overtaking lane.

thank you.

No problem. I couldn’t tell if you were being genuine or not. It should be common sense that if there is a vehicle that needs to cross two lanes to overtake a middle lane hog or break the law themselves to undertake them something is not right. Consideration to other road users is in short supply sometimes.

I don’t drive on the motorway often anymore but it is shocking on parts of the M25 where you are undertaking vehicles in lane 3 of 4 when you are in the inside lane.

Well I think we all need to understand that there are all sorts of car drivers,some will never be more than competent at steering the car,they will not gather anymore skills than they had when they passed the test,others seem not to be able to read the road ahead,when things happen they are totally surprised,we also have many motorists who are battling a serious medical problem,which maybe mentally and physically impairing their ability to drive well,this will only get worse as the population ages,I saw a friends form that the DVLA they send you when you are 70,the list of illnesses you can drive with is extensive and a eye opener,it seems to come down to the only way a doctor can contact the DVLA to remove a patients driving licence is if when talking to the patient the doctor realises that the patient does not understand what is being said,and the police can only take away the licence if they carry out the eyesight test,I would suggest that is as likely as a triple dead heat in the Epsom Derby.

Well I think we all need to understand that there are all sorts of car drivers,some will never be more than competent at steering the car,they will not gather anymore skills than they had when they passed the test,others seem not to be able to read the road ahead,when things happen they are totally surprised,we also have many motorists who are battling a serious medical problem,which maybe mentally and physically impairing their ability to drive well,this will only get worse as the population ages,I saw a friends form that the DVLA they send you when you are 70,the list of illnesses you can drive with is extensive and a eye opener,it seems to come down to the only way a doctor can contact the DVLA to remove a patients driving licence is if when talking to the patient the doctor realises that the patient does not understand what is being said,and the police can only take away the licence if they carry out the eyesight test,I would suggest that is as likely as a triple dead heat in the Epsom Derby.

Is there any evidence that the elderly have an higher accident rate. My insurance quotes don't suggest this.

The more vehicles that are on the roads, the more idiots there will be. And on a sunny Bank Holiday I don't even bother to go out ... I've lost count of the times I've nearly been in a major accident through fault of my own - some of the worst on the South Mimms roundabout on the M25. Once I was in the correct lane for the motorway, and an artic was on the far left lane (there were 4 lanes at this point). The artic decided he was in the wrong lane, got into the lane next to me and proceeded to drive straight into my lane while I was approaching his cab. I had no choice but to put my foot to the floor to try and get through the small gap between me and the car to my right, how I didn't et hit I'll never know - I looked back and he had continued to go to the inside lane, how he didn't wipe anyone out was a miracle. And another time (on same roundabout) a van driver who overtook a line of traffic then tried to force his way into my lane causing me to drive off the road to avoid being hit - so much aggression in the crowded south east! :mad: I made sure I got a dash cam as soon as I got back, although I rarely need it where I live except for one particular roundabout near a level crossing where it seems to be a free-for-all and drivers just carry on regardless from all directions :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom