Joining the dark side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRight

Car
S205 C63s Estate + w211 e63 +smart 44 brabus sport
After a search for an old compact convertible (early to mid 2000s) with 4 seats to use as a commuter car ( SL 55 or 500 or 350 lacking two seats ) , I put a deposit down on a 2004 BMW sport 330ci convertible with 2 year warranty and 95k miles on the clock. Deposit paid and waiting for the dealer to give it a new MOT (done ) and theyre doing some repairs to ensure it is worthy of their 2 year warranty.

the paintwork is in good condition and it only has one tiny dent. the interior is a bit worn but good enough for a sub 4k car.

Can anyone think of a convertible Merc from the same era with similar dimensions and 4 seats that can save me from transforming into an inconsiderate driver that doesn't believe the use of indicators is a worthwhile practice?Screenshot_20190309-132939_Chrome.jpg

After a search for an old compact convertible (early to mid 2000s) with 4 seats to use as a commuter car ( SL 55 or 500 or 350 lacking two seats ) , I put a deposit down on a 2004 BMW sport 330ci convertible with 2 year warranty and 95k miles on the clock. Deposit paid and waiting for the dealer to give it a new MOT (done ) and theyre doing some repairs to ensure it is worthy of their 2 year warranty.

the paintwork is in good condition and it only has one tiny dent. the interior is a bit worn but good enough for a sub 4k car.

Can anyone think of a convertible Merc from the same era with similar dimensions and 4 seats that can save me from transforming into an inconsiderate driver that doesn't believe the use of indicators is a worthwhile practice?View attachment 84290

I would definitely have the rear subframe inspected for cracking a well documented issue with the E46 3 Series.. enjoy your daily.

thanks, I'll look at the CLK ! One day when I grow up, I would love an SL

I prefer the BMW over that vintage of CLK personally.

It feels like yesterday those came out. :crazy:

all good shouts. If they can't get into a position to stand by their 2 year warranty , I'll be back for a CLK which looks to me to be much better luxury focussed car than the bmw 330ci. The footprint is a bit larger though

If you'd seen the CLK55 I saw at a meet a couple of years ago - in a lovely bright red with tan leather interior, in immaculate condition, it's just luck that it's too long for my garage or my wife would have been after me to buy it!

Clk 280,350 or 500 in sport trim!
Posibly the prettiest real world car of that era (209)

Just watch the tax.. ..

My BIL has a 52 reg 330 convertible. My CLK280 felt better to be in, drive and certainly look at imho

But to each their own. He's looking for a 335 vert now (but has heard horror stories about the turbos lunching on themselves)

CLK has more style and presence on the road being rarer and luxurious but I guess like for like engine wise the BMW would give a sportier ride.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Audi S4 cab at that sort of budget is a good buy too

I wonder for how much longer though. As the cars get older the tensioner problems are only going to increase and while easy enough to solve, it's a significant percentage of the car's value to put right.

I wonder for how much longer though. As the cars get older the tensioner problems are only going to increase and while easy enough to solve, it's a significant percentage of the car's value to put right.
To be fair, I think that same charge could be levelled at most of these types of cars (S4, CLK, 330ci) that are circa 15 year old now and will all have their own “common faults”.

Absolutely, but in this case it's an engine out job to put right, and a bill of £2-3k for the privilege. Given the value of your average S4, that going to take some consideration.

have had the BMW for a week now. front tyres replaced, cross climate + 18 inch 225 width in place of one Chinese brand ”comforsser” on the left wheel and falken on front right. wheel alignment was well off too , the steering was pulling to the left and the rear right wheel was pushing the car to the right ! all sorted, top down and cruising along. hard to beat the feeling of driving a convertible. the car has nice linear throttle and decent power (around 230 bhp). it has full leather, m body kit, brilliant HK sound system. I am quite enamored with it and couldn't wait to get back in. I just love it ! I always wanted a convertible and i now own one for the price of 6 months of depreciation on my c63s lol. The BMW though is like a cougar with expensive taste , I've already spent gbp 200 on her and I've only owned her a week. next up , oil sensor and filter change ...

sadly I had to take the amg out to drive my family around and after a great week with the BMW , I was expecting to be underwhelmed. indeed the moon roof retracted, it simply couldn't match the breeze through the hair feeling of a convertible. everything else in the merc though is another dimension of quality. the steering far more precise, the seats hold you in place better, and when in sport plus , the >2x horsepower and torque and the sound, composure of the car, handling are in a class of their own. The 330 is a nice cruiser that can go reasonably fast. the c63s though is a monster in a velvet suit

I've just put a deposit down on a 325ci sport on a 55 plate. I'm really looking forward to.
The w212 350 is still staying though [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I've just put a deposit down on a 325ci sport on a 55 plate. I'm really looking forward to.
The w212 350 is still staying though [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

very nice indeed! congrats! post some pics once you collect it !

it got a much needed autoglym resin polish treatment. the paintwork has various chips and scratches, I'll have to do some work to rectify. didnt take any pics so have taken a nest screenshot! 20190324_204732.jpg

I saw a few old beautiful merc convertibles that gave me serious merc envy. An SL500 was the pick of the bunch. Saw a few lovely SLKs too.

sadly I had to take the amg out to drive my family around and after a great week with the BMW , I was expecting to be underwhelmed. indeed the moon roof retracted, it simply couldn't match the breeze through the hair feeling of a convertible. everything else in the merc though is another dimension of quality. the steering far more precise, the seats hold you in place better, and when in sport plus , the >2x horsepower and torque and the sound, composure of the car, handling are in a class of their own. The 330 is a nice cruiser that can go reasonably fast. the c63s though is a monster in a velvet suit

To be fair, you are comparing two completely different cars from different generations....approx 15 years between them, I would be surprised if they had anything in common, except the four wheels :D

To be fair, you are comparing two completely different cars from different generations....approx 15 years between them, I would be surprised if they had anything in common, except the four wheels :D

Absolutely, though i plan to compare it to my hyundai lawn mower next, so pls stay tuned for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom