Joining the dark side?

Discussion in 'MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum' started by MrRight, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ianw19

ianw19 Active Member

Car:
    W212
    Collected the car today. Still has hardtop on because I couldn't fit the stand in![​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MrRight likes this.
  2. SL500AMG

SL500AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 AMG Sport
    Sounds like you need an SL63 in your life, power of the C63 with the wind in your hair experience!

This comes a close 2nd ;-).[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

merc85 and MrRight like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MrRight

MrRight Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C63s Estate + BMW E46 M3 convertible+smart 44 brabus sport
    Stunning !

I need two more seats , otherwise I definitely would have been all over an SL !

SL500AMG likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    That is stunning. looks in great condition ! Great colour choice !

ianw19 and SL500AMG like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    The BMW got too much attention. benz got 3.5 hours of cleaning and polishing. unfortunately this was on Sunday so I didn't get to use the autoglym ceramic extra gloss shine which is a shame. pics the next day and 70 miles of motorway driving later ...

Screenshot_20190401-211535_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190401-210954_Gallery.jpg

ianw19 and SL500AMG like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    The 330 needed a bit of work done , oil sensors changed, oil filter replacement, steering issues sorted, sub woofer blown, odd noises from the engine etc etc etc so instead of doing that , I decided to swap if for this here M3... I pick it up on Saturday or Sunday after it gets its MOT. Wife is very unhappy at the extra cost but there is no E46 like an M3 ... I'm no longer going on my planned 3 hour AMG driving experience and instead will use that to part - fund this beast. downside is it is an SMG which is a terrible gearbox but at this price, I'll learn to love it ! Screenshot_20190411-185121_Chrome.jpg

SPX and clk320x like this.
  7. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    Loving the man maths!!!! :D

SL500AMG and MrRight like this.
  8. MWCLS

MWCLS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
    If your not already a member on m3cutters have a look on there. An abundance of information on the E46 M3. I had one, a low mile Coupè that I regret selling. Fab cars.

MrRight likes this.
  9. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    E46 is my favourite of the 3 series shapes.

MrRight likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    my wife said the same thing , only used different words ... ;)

11. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    I'll definitely join up. They're definitely special cars for sure. Prices are now in the 8 to 10k region on the SMGs. manual transmissions are much better but they're holding their value !

MWCLS likes this.
  12. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Glad you’re going in with your eyes wide open on that (and I use the term very loosely) gearbox because it really is an absolute shocker but, like really bad food, if you use it long enough I’m sure you’ll become oblivious to its foibles..!

MrRight and MWCLS like this.
  13. MWCLS

Car:
    The SMG 2 gearbox is a big improvement over what was seen in the E36. All the same it's a little cumbersome... but it does ask the Q why did BMW only fit the SMG to the CSL? Stupid as the purists prefer manuals...

MrRight likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    I had never driven an SMG M3 until Wednesday, only a manual many moons ago, and indeed "absolute shocker" is quite an understatement for the SMG. Not sure what they were thinking when they released a car with that contraption. To use the flappy pedals, I had to keep letting go of the throttle and then clicking on it and then it would decide whether to change or not. Also from a stop, releasing the brake will have the car in "neutral" and the single clutch only engages once you hit the throttle and it takes an age... This will be very interesting indeed.

If they'd stuck the E46 auto in there, it would actually be much much than that dog's breakfast of a transmission. i have got used to the auto trans on the 330 and for what it is, it is quite decent compared to that SMG...

SPX and MWCLS like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    That's an absolutely great point indeed. Someone i work with has a very low mileage CSL (16k miles) and I sometimes wonder if he would have preferred a regular manual M3 :)

16. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    A Friday afternoon SMG car is like purgatory. A friend had one from new, 2 replacement gearboxes and multiple controllers, recalibrations etc etc over the space of a year or so. The combined warranty tickets were purportedly over the £25k mark before BMW called it a day and made him a offer on something else.

MrRight likes this.
  17. MWCLS

Car:
    The pump can be trouble some. Although in my 4 years of ownership and 8,000 miles the car never let me down. I used it as a daily for 6 months.

MrRight likes this.
  18. MWCLS

Car:
    All the new tech going into most newer vehicles will soon find them worthless when they go wrong a few years down the line out of manufacture warranty.

MrRight likes this.
  19. anglaslt

anglaslt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG based) and RHD M6 Comp.
    Interesting to hear others' views on the SMG. I had an E63 V10 M6 with SMG and, as much as I loved the car and its performance, I disliked the SMG so much so that I sold the car on within 12 months. I did find that using the gear stick to change up and down worked better for me than the paddles.

It was interesting to read so many contrary views from those BMW owners who somehow got to love their SMGs and I do wonder whether I should have persevered. After I sold it I instantly regretted selling what was otherwise a super motor car.

I now have a newer M6 with DCT which to my mind is so much better and perfectly usable in auto mode. Probably though I'd be even happier with the modern torque converter that now goes into the M5.

That's a lovely looking M3 and hopefully in time you'll get to forgive the SMG.

MrRight likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    MrRight

Car:
    update after > 1k miles including a evo and top geareaque Wales road trip testing the handling out on various windy roads was a joy to behold. The A482 being the best road I drove on. The SMG gearbox is now second nature for me (though on my tatty e46, the gear up shift steering paddle doesn't work, so I've been using the old school gear lever to change gears, good fun except on sharper corners, that's because the steering rack ratio is just too long and that I think is my main criticism of the steering , it feels nice and accurate but sharper corners require way too much turn in, though I can see why they do that because it makes cornering very precise.

cost wise, 4x mp4s tyres incl fitting cost me around gbp 620. vehicle repairs cost me gbp 800 and I've stuck a new android sound system and heavy duty 8inch sub. Fuel economy combined has been 26mpg , no not bad. Overall I'm very happy with the car and would recommend it highly to someone looking for high performance in the 8k cost price bracket.