Judder at 1500RPM - Front disks knackered.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Razorhoof

Car
Mercedes C320 CDI Avantgarde V6
Hi all

When we bought the car the other day the first trip up the motorway revealed slight judder when accelerate and the revs reaching and surpassing 1500rpm approx.

I took it to ATS on my way home and they did a wheel alignment check, said that they were very slightly out and switched the two front wheels around (they said they were a bit worn on the inside (but lots of tread otherwise). He said that the car was pulling slightly to the left..... He also said that the brake disks (on the front) were very corroded and warped.

I know the brake disks are bad because this 'judder' on the motorway becomes worse when you slow down (coming off at a junction for example). The same issues (with the judder at a certain Rev / speed and also the breaks) is noticeable at regular road speeds also. It seems like braking accentuates the judder I feel when driving it...... Like they are both caused by the same thing?

Is it possible the warped / corroded disks can cause this judder when driving?

Full service booked for Tuesday by the way, disks and pads are on the agenda......

Yes discs can cause it but so can Engine mounts and a few others?
Can you feel the judder through brake pedal like a pulse? of so that wouls suggest discs.

Yes that's pretty much correct Joesoap. Can they rub even when not applying the breaks?

I too had this problem and it turned out that the brake pad liner had detached itself from the backing and whilst breaking it was vibrating due to not being supported, I took wheel off and looked in at pads which looked fine until I took the caliper apart and then it was obvious as the pad fell apart

yes particularly when warped; like a buckled wheel on a bike it moves from side to side.
worst case is when hub nut has come loose and the sidewards movement gets extreme, this happened to me on an Austin ambassador (showing my age) pressed brake pedal and nothing, s**t myself and thankfully after 3 presses pedal came back. pulled oved and checked: same side I had paid for new wheel bearing, the nut was loose??
That was the last time I paid for a garage to do mechanical work on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom