Juddering brakes and click clacking pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esprit200

Car
2002 CLK500
Hello!

I have a combined problem on my CLK270 CDI (2002).

The car is equipped with the sport brake kit with larger calipers (4 piston?) and larger drilled discs as per CLK55. I have two problems;

1. Heavy judder under braking

2. I drive forwards and apply the brakes, I then drive in reverse and apply the brakes, I hear a loud *clack* on first application of the brakes, as if the pads have shunted in the caliper. The same applies when changing from reverse to forward direction. The noise only occurs on the first application of the brakes.

Are these problems related or coincidental? 1. I would presume is warped discs, 2. I am more puzzled by.

Any input?

Regards,

Jon.

Hi Jon. The loud 'clack' you describe would normally be, as you suspect, the pads shifting very slightly in the calipers. If it happens on the first stop every time after you shift into reverse, or into forward motion, that's probably what it is.

As you say the judder is more than likely warped discs.

Are the pads genuine pads as i have found after market ones are sometimes a couple of mm smaller. Just enough to give them a little bit of movement in the caliper causing this sort of noise

The clack sound is 'pad slap'. Usually due to poorly fitted brake pads. Nothing to worry about but on the next change, point it out to whoever you choose to do it.

As for juddering brakes, does the steering wheel judder, or the forward motion of the car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom