juddering on take off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dean Fletcher

Car
Mercedes E250 CDI Coupe
Hi Guys,

I have a e250 coupe 2009 model. I have had the car for about 6 weeks now and have noticed a juddering only in first gear and only every so often. I doesn't do it all the time. It seems to only happen when starting up a slight hill or incline. It's like the engine is going to stall but doesn't.
I have read alot of thinga on the net about it but no one seems to have the answer. I have tried all different clutch control methods more revs less revs quicker release etc. Please help

Thanks

Failing Dual Mass Flywheel? A very common failure on manual diesels, though I don't know whether yours has one.

Obviously won't help on hills but try starting off in 2nd. Both manual and auto MB's have very low 1st gears and even my owners handbook recommends starting in 2nd gear on the flat. When I had an auto that always started in 2nd unless the the throttle was floored.

Clutch, duel mass judder? Or badly worn engine mounts.

Get a mb tech to drive it.

Hi, just drove back from work with not one judder at all. I tried setting off in second which did work well slow take off but a good take off non the less. Does setting off in second damage the clutch or gears in any way? Providing you do ride the clutch to pieces?

As I already said, in my owners manual, MB suggest it's acceptable to start in 2nd on the flat.

I've never felt multiple judders starting in 1st, it's felt to me more of a slight hesitation which I thought might even have been software related as the throttle is drive by wire. It's not that the car will not start off smoothly in 1st, it's just harder to achieve than it is in 2nd. Also unless a lot of revs are used 1st is so low it doesn't get you much past walking pace.

Last edited:
UPDATE!
The juddering hasn't stopped. But what I have realised is that when it happens I lift my foot off the clutch earlier and it stops it.
I phoned up my local MB dealer hopefully there mechanic is getting back to me. I phoned my warranty company that I got with the car since iv only had it for 6 weeks. And I also rang the garage where I got it from I have to call on Monday to speak to there head technician. I'm under no illusions that it's normal for the car to judder so I'm determined to get it sorted. Other wise I'll be asking for a refund for the car which is a shame before I love the car just can't live with it jumping around like it does.
Thoughts?

It could be a worn prop, engine mounts etc etc.

Once all the prop joints, clutch fluid etc have been checked then you need to get the rear up on axle stands, they are cheap to buy if you don't have them- make it safe and have a jack as well, personally if I take the wheels off I have them under the sill and chock the front wheels too. Have a friend with you to sit and engage the clutch in first. But in all honesty it sounds like clutch pressure plate or something like that to me- either way it's a gearbox out job I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom