Juddering when braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sinbad

Hi guys, I have a 2002 C220 CDI which I have recently bought, I love it but the brakes seem to intermittently judder at differing speeds, the discs and pads look almost new, any ideas what might be the issue?

Juddering is usually down to discs. Can you see what make they are. I have know cheap discs to do this after a good thrashing

Don't know if this is relevant to your C220, but, on several vehicles I've owned, brake judder has been caused by worn caliper slider pins.

They're usually easy, and cheap, to replace.

Cheers guys, don't know what they are yet, prob going to strip them off at the weekend to have a look! Cheers for the heads up on the pins, will check these too, was wondering about having the discs skimmed?

If they are fairly new discs I wonder if the hub faces were properly cleaned off before the new discs were mounted. Spin them round on the hubs to check for alignment before you remove them.

They may not have been, seems strange that they seem to judder intermittently sometimes they are bad and other times not so bad at similar speeds

While the most common cause is indeed 'warped' discs (cured by new discs and pads), there are many other things that can cause this including calipers, front wheel bearings, and other worn suspension components.

Check the front suspension, bearings and hubs, and if all looks well then start with new discs and pads and see how it goes.

Update! Just put it on rolling road and to my surprise it's the rear o/s disc that's all over the place, all others are fine, new set of discs on rear ordered and hopefully problem solved!

Quick question, how does a rear disc get hot enough to warp?

on the rears it's normally the hand brake binding on inside the disc, or the lining from the hand brake shoes dislodges......you will soon find out when you remove the rear disc.

Bob

New rear discs and pads, tracking adjusted, gear linkages eased, high pressure pump tightened to stop a steady drip of diesel onto the alternator and aux belt and she is like a new car!! Long may it last!

Cheers guys, don't know what they are yet, prob going to strip them off at the weekend to have a look! Cheers for the heads up on the pins, will check these too, was wondering about having the discs skimmed?
I had the same problem on my C200. It went away when I replaced the disks and pads.

Yes mate, mine is great now, hopefully got over the teething problems and can enjoy driving it instead of worrying about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom