juddering windscreen wipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
which wiper blades did you install, Bosch?

i fitted bosch £20 = perfect wipe and silent.

Interesting thread! When I got my car earlier this year, wipers juddered alot, so I fitted a pair of expensive Bosch ones, and now they judder a little! Have cleaned blades with meths, then concentrated screenwash. Also cleaned windscreen with meths, then applied RainX, still a judder, I'm interested in the 'clay' solution though. Will try that next week as I would never have thought of using my clay bar on glass!If not, I'll be bending the wiper arms in video above, that judder does my head in!

Interesting thread! When I got my car earlier this year, wipers juddered alot, so I fitted a pair of expensive Bosch ones, and now they judder a little! Have cleaned blades with meths, then concentrated screenwash. Also cleaned windscreen with meths, then applied RainX, still a judder, I'm interested in the 'clay' solution though. Will try that next week as I would never have thought of using my clay bar on glass!If not, I'll be bending the wiper arms in video above, that judder does my head in!

i know what you mean, it drove me crazy, rain x helps though, when claying keep your windscreen wet at all times, just a tip, let us know how you get on.

Good tip - I plan to use some RainX glass cleaner to keep her wet, belt & braces job LOL

rain x.jpg

I've never been able to resolve wiper judder completely on my E class. I also get a squeak on direction change in the return motion. I have to use the washer fluid which helps reduce the noise and judder for a small amount of time.

Well, on a rare break from the rain, I have now 'clayed' my windscreen using lashings of RainX window clean to lubricate. Even if it doesn't work, I think I'd do that again because the glass looks wonderful! Also, cleaned wiper rubbers with meths. Now, all I have to do is wait for it to rain to see if it works - shouldn't be too long LOL

I clayed my car a couple of weeks ago and it seemed slightly better but then deteriorated again.

It seems ridiculous that a car costing this amount of money should have this trait.

By the way, good luck with bending those wiper arms they are seriously strong.

Robin

Just thought I'd feedback after 'claying' my windscreen. The actual process made the glass sparkle, I'd definitely do it again, but the juddering on my driver side still remains (passenger is 100% judder free).

Obviously, all things being equal (blades, glass etc), it must be the arm, right?

Any suggestions for how to adjust the arm? I tried that video posted a few weeks ago, I can't even make a small adjustment as the metal arm is obviously made out of the same kind of steel that tanks have, unlike the bodywork where they used the same steel that baked beans are made of judging by the rust!

Just thought I'd feedback after 'claying' my windscreen. The actual process made the glass sparkle, I'd definitely do it again, but the juddering on my driver side still remains (passenger is 100% judder free).

Obviously, all things being equal (blades, glass etc), it must be the arm, right?

Any suggestions for how to adjust the arm? I tried that video posted a few weeks ago, I can't even make a small adjustment as the metal arm is obviously made out of the same kind of steel that tanks have, unlike the bodywork where they used the same steel that baked beans are made of judging by the rust!

have you cleaned the wipers, are they new or old.

have you cleaned the wipers, are they new or old.
Brand new, and as stated before, blades have been scrupulously cleaned.

Only certain way is to use the correct tool, as used by the dealership..
Now, I never knew there was a 'tool' for this. Have you got a link or picture of how it works? I would hate to think what an MB dealership would charge for a wiper arm adjustment!

Now, I never knew there was a 'tool' for this. Have you got a link or picture of how it works? I would hate to think what an MB dealership would charge for a wiper arm adjustment!
Mine did it FOC on my S203.

This seems common to many marques (Google image)
a3-9695.png

https://www.hazet.de/media/Hazet/Be...enungsanleitung_operating_instructions_de.pdf

Last edited:
Wow, just googled that, it's an expensive bit of kit at over £130! I may just pop into an MB dealer and see if they have a kind heart, well, it's coming up to the season of goodwill to all men, so you never know ;)

There are other cheaper methods including the use of an adjustable wrench and a microfiber cloth however you look like a 'tool' going it... oh and don't drop the wrench!

I had my arms adjusted with the correct tool, then new arms, numerous wiper blades and many many screen cleans.

The only thing not tried is a new screen but that seems drastic to me.

Good luck with getting yours sorted please keep us updated.

Robin

I tried cleaning screen with various screen cleaners and even washing up liquid, still juddered. New wipers, still juddered. Altered angle of blades, still juddered.
Then tried claying the screen, perfect.
Obviously something was ingrained enough on the screen to cause the problem which claying removed.

I’ve always clayed Windows’s and screen and it’s the best form of removing any invisible crap from the screen. You normally can feel it when you first run the clay bar over and then after 1/2 applications, it’s cleaner than a nuns conscience[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update, I popped into the main MB dealer in Belfast this morning (Agnew, Boucher Road).

Firstly, was pretty conscious that my old rust bucket really lowered the tone of their car park real estate, but as I have no ego all was well. Spoke to pretty girl at desk who took my details, and in due course, a 'suit' came over to my seat to discuss my problem. He then took my car away, and returned 10 minutes later. Great I thought, all sorted and very quick.

However, 'suit' took me out to my car and explained that the technician told him he thought the wiper was juddering because it may be hitting the bonnet! I honestly & unashamedly started to laugh. I pointed to the arm and motioned the sweep, and said, even if it did hit the bonnet, it would be at rest, and would not cause a judder on the upstroke! 'Suit' looked blank, with one of those 'computer says no' stares, and said my only option was to book the car in for a full wiper diagnostic. WTF??

Wasn't a total waste of time tough, I got a nice designer bottle of water, and some fruit whilst I waited, and got to sit in some very expensive cars!

It's a while now since I used a main dealer, the experience reminded me why I love dealing with proper garages where you actually can talk to the guy that wields the spanner, and not some numpty in a suit acting as a very ill informed intermediary.

When I get a chance, will try a hefty set of mole grips and an oily rag wrapped round arm LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom