Juddering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
Didn't really know where to put this as I am unsure what is causing the juddering.

So, driving back to Bristol form Southampton a couple of weeks ago, had the first experience of juddering going all through the car. Got the car home and took it to my local tyre fitters who inspected the front tyres, which were found to have bulges in the side walls, to ensure this was the problem, the front wheels and back wheels were changed over. Problem seemed to be resolved so bought 2 new tyres. The tyres with bulges in were runflats, and had also worn significantly on the inside edges of both tyres about 25mm or so. I then had a full steering geometry check, first time since I owned the car although I have had the tracking checked regularly, the camber angle was way off which resulted in the tracking going way off when the camber angle was adjusted.

So, today, all was going well, took the car from Bristol to Bath, then up the A46 to the M4, along the M4 to M5 south to Cribbs Causeway, no problems. Driving from Cribbs Causeway to home, the juddering started again and I had to pull in as I thought I had a flat tyre. I have since then had the car inspected by F1Autos who looked at the tyres, did a short MoT inspection on the suspension to check for anything loose, but all is ok. Drove back from F1Autos and the car was fine.

Anyone any ideas what could be causing an intermittent problem like this? I have the car booked in with my Indie on Monday and would possibly like to give him some suggestions.

Update

Took the car to my Indie in Bristol who again carried out a suspension check and all was ok. However, when plugged into his code reader, some codes came up indicating gearbox ECU failure :( although I still have no warnings on the dash board. Is it possible this could be the culprit?

When driving with the said vibration, I get a wheel related sound as though something is loose.

I am just hoping it's not the ECU, mega bucks:(:(

You wouldn't get a dash message with TCM 'failure' but you probably would get limp mode.

Did the Indie use STAR or a generic diagnostic reader?

Vibration throughout the car is nearly always rear wheel related. Did you feel anything through the steering wheel? Could you feel the juddering through your seat, or pedals?

Dont worry about that code for the gearbox. It always comes up and means nothing.

Could it be a prop bearing failure?

Dont worry about that code for the gearbox. It always comes up and means nothing.

Could it be a prop bearing failure?

No prop on a front wheel drive unless you mean the driveshafts?

You wouldn't get a dash message with TCM 'failure' but you probably would get limp mode.

Did the Indie use STAR or a generic diagnostic reader?

Vibration throughout the car is nearly always rear wheel related. Did you feel anything through the steering wheel? Could you feel the juddering through your seat, or pedals?

AFAIK the indie uses a star, but not 100%, I have used them for many years and know he has one.

The juddering seems to be all over, but not like wheel imbalance through the steering wheel although there was a little juddering through the steering wheel, the car also wanted to pull to the right.

All wheel balance weights still attached? Wheels round and true?

As the vibration went after having the car in the air, maybe a worn shocker top mount?

Had a sudden thought last night. Had the car MoT'd back in February and it failed on a split CV joint gater, which was replaced and also had advisories on brake pad and disc wear and minor play in the bottom ball joint. Fast forward to May, I decided to have the discs and pads replaced and while they were there, to replace both bottom ball joints. While they were doing the work, they phoned me to say the CV gater was no longer attached and all the grease was now over the engine and brake calliper, so told them to replace the gater which they did.

So the question is, could the lack of grease and being open to the elements cause the CV joint to start to fail and could this be the cause of the intermittent vibration I am experiencing?

I had similar vibration as you report in another car. At the time the solution was to replace the offending sides driveshaft which came with new inner and outer cv joints.

I knew a master tech for the manufacturer and he told me it was pitting on the CV joints. He arranged for the dealer to replace just the CV joints and it cleared up.

The symptoms at the time IIRc was pronounced vibration upon acceleration around the 60mph + mark.

Solved

The problem was down to the offside front CV joint at the wheel :thumb: all now sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom