Jump Starting - Yes or No ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott_F

MB Enthusiast
Due to lack of use, the battery on my Jaguar XK is nearly flat and won't start the engine.

There is some life there but pressing the starter button results in a weak turn of the starter motor accompanied by clicking locks, flashing lights and all sorts of messages on the dashboard.

My default response would be to get the jump leads out but I believe that this may not be a good idea on modern cars due to the complex electronics.

Am I right ?

If you don't need to drive it immediately I'd be happier with charging the battery overnight

Yes if you disconnect the terminals.

Won't disconnecting the terminals result in a world of electrical re-setting problems ?

Perfectly safe to charge in-situ if you use a modern low ripple current charger such as Ctek

What does it advise in your owner's handbook?

I've done both, had a jump start off a starter pack unit when I sat with my radio, lights, blowers, etc on with the engine off one day and kept adjusting my seat and so did my passenger... It was absolutely fine after jumping.

I then trickle charged it, didn't disconnect terminals, that was fine too. It took several hours to reach full charge.

So I don't know about the Jag, but it's fine in a C Class. :)

Thank you to all who posted.

I've just remembered that I have free assistance as part of the car's warranty. I declined the option of an AA patrol to attend this evening and am expecting a Jaguar technician to arrive between 8 and 10 in the morning.

This has to be a good thing as left to my own devices I would have certainly naused something up.

If it's to be stood on a regular basis, it might be worth investing in a Sealey Boost Pack, very handy to have.

If it's to be stood on a regular basis, it might be worth investing in a Sealey Boost Pack, very handy to have.

The car started on the Jaguar technician's portable pack but only just. However, it's had a good run since.

The guy was very helpful and explained that a jump start would be OK as long as I don't put the clip directly onto the negative terminal and don't start the car from which I'm doing the jump start until all the cables are connected. The battery can also be charged in situ - again avoiding a connection straight onto the negative terminal.

He also suggested using a trickle charger during longer periods of inactivity.

Last edited:
Get yourself a Ctek with convenience connect leads. So easy just to plug in and leave for however many days needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom