Jumping into Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyBike

Car
E350 Estate
Hi Guys,

Having a slight issue with my 2010 e350 CDI jumping into park at slow speeds. Could the issue be down to the battery not holding charge and low voltage? Im wondering this as before it happened I was sat in the car with music on without the engine running for a quite while. When it happens, if I rev car high for a while it stays in drive when selected. I'm in the process of checking the main battery (waiting for a tester to arrive tomorrow).

I have looked at the service menu on dash and checked voltage and amps. UB hovers around 14.7 - IB fluctuates massively...engine off -7.6A , engine running flies up to 60+ A then settles around 6.5 amp with comand, air etc all turned off. (New alternator fitted very recently btw).

If it is likely to be a battery issue would it be the main battery or the Aux Battery?

Note: No faults on dash!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi Guys,

Having a slight issue with my 2010 e350 CDI jumping into park at slow speeds. Could the issue be down to the battery not holding charge and low voltage? Im wondering this as before it happened I was sat in the car with music on without the engine running for a quite while. When it happens, if I rev car high for a while it stays in drive when selected. I'm in the process of checking the main battery (waiting for a tester to arrive tomorrow).

I have looked at the service menu on dash and checked voltage and amps. UB hovers around 14.7 - IB fluctuates massively...engine off -7.6A , engine running flies up to 60+ A then settles around 6.5 amp with comand, air etc all turned off. (New alternator fitted very recently btw).

If it is likely to be a battery issue would it be the main battery or the Aux Battery?

Note: No faults on dash!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Edit: Just checked main battery shortly after driving and voltage was 12.2v will check again in the morning before starting but looks as if Battery could be an issue.

Looks like my problem maybe the Electronic Ignition Switch. Got home the other day switched off engine, removed key but the engine kept running so had to remove a relay. The car was stuck in park so called the AA who sussed out that resetting the car by locking/unlocking the doors we could start the car and select drive/reverse.

Turning the ignition to off will rarely shut down the engine though it will shut down the dash instruments, to kill the engine I need to remove the key from ignition

I am hoping replacing the EIS (Under warranty) will cure car jumping into park at low speeds which seems plausible as if the car thinks the ignition is off it would default the transmission into Park in normal circumstances. Car in Garage tomorrow and expecting it to be there a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom