Junk mail - beat this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Several years ago I made the mistake of putting my email address on an ad on one of the free car ads sites. A few days later junk mail started to arrive & keot coming in ever increasing quantities until I pretty much abandon that address.

A week or so ago someone posted a question about junk mail filters so I decided to take a weekly count on the junk mail in the old box.

614 junk emails in 7 days.

None opened, now all binned. Why do they send this crap out? Does anybody ever read them or respond?

I get that a day mate.....

what I dont understand is why they title it somthing so obviously spam-like - like "from nnnnniiiiieeeelllllrrr98348793895r78439 " subject "ciiiiiaaaaa@@@@lll1111iisss5555 4for freeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and its just a load of cr@p in the body - one i get at the moment that gets past the spam filter, has nothing in it - no html, email addresses, just a bunch of plain text that goes on about some brilliant investment i should be making... Their system can be logging its been downloaded (its pop3 not hotmail) , but unless im mistaken they cant know its been opened? so what sthe point?

I get like 700 over 2 days at my E500.org account - its MADNESS!

neilrr said:
Why do they send this crap out? Does anybody ever read them or respond?
See this article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/18/the_economics_of_spam

That talks about 50 responses per million. I've seen articles that suggest spam makes money for the spammers with response rates of 1 in 1 million.

You hear all the time about people who fall for phishing emails, and wealthy people who get suckered into the Nigerian 419 scams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom