Jupiter JUNO probe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
YES tomorrow is the big day----- the day the Juno probe reaches Jupiter and attempts orbital insertion. Cummulation of a 5 year mission [ launched in 2011] estimated to cost $1.1billion------ failure to achieve orbit will mean the probe will fly by the planet and mission disaster.
Juno Spacecraft's July 4 Jupiter Arrival: What to Expect

Catch it all on NASA TV http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html#.V3mziKJRIus

juno-jupiter-artist-concept.jpg

Last edited:
I was just saying to my son how amazing it is that scientists are able to predict orbital paths, gravitational effects, etc... based upon mathematical concepts developed long ago. Obviously, the advent of computer simulation now helps, but it's still based on the same principles.

That Isaac Newton dude has a lot to answer for! Ironic that much of his best work was done on his theories of calculus optics, and the law of gravitation while Trinity College Cambridge was closed due to an outbreak of plague!
800px-Sir_Isaac_Newton_by_Sir_Godfrey_Kneller%2C_Bt.jpg

Exactly! Amazing what they achieved back then. Makes me wonder what they'd have been capable of if alive today.

BURN SUCCESSFUL- 53 DAY ORBITAL INSERTION COMPLETE ! 1SEC OFF SCHEDULE!
35EF3F0300000578-3673207-Unusually_for_a_robotic_space_mission_Juno_is_carrying_passenger-a-7_1467625818614.jpg

Picture of the three lego figures in spacecraft grade aluminium aboard the orbiter- representing Galileo, Juno and Jupiter complete with lightning bolt. Designed to stimulate the interest of little kids who will hopefully know a lot more about Jupiter and the origins of our solar system.

Last edited:
Fixed this for you Graeme. ;) Sorry for the threadjack :D

That Isaac Newton dude has a lot to answer for! Ironic that much of his best work was done on his theories of calculus optics, and the law of gravitation while Trinity College Cambridge was closed due to the withdrawal of EU funding

You do realise that Newton was 100% wrong about gravity and it took Einstein to demonstrate this....

Gravity does not pull you to Earth, it is Space and Time working together that pushes you to Earth. Hard to get your head around but it is true - as far as we know. :)

You do realise that Newton was 100% wrong about gravity and it took Einstein to demonstrate this....

Gravity does not pull you to Earth, it is Space and Time working together that pushes you to Earth. Hard to get your head around but it is true - as far as we know. :)

...but without Newton Einstein would not have able to make the next step?

In the same way as Copernicus didn't quite get the solar system right....

We are on the edge of my knowledge MJ but I think Newton was so wrong about gravity it wasn't funny. Bit like saying blue is green. I don't think Einstein relied on anything Newton thought about gravity at all.
I don't want to hyjack the thread as it is fascinating to me and many others I'm sure.

[YOUTUBE HD]mv4KDeo8cT0[/YOUTUBE HD]
Lots of self congratulation but as everyone knows its pretty important to "sell science " to the general public in an attempt to keep them engaged

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like one of the tin foil hat bunch of conspiracy theorists but I'm not convinced by all this.

Attract the young with Lego and keep the story going by any chance?!

Ever since I saw the press conference once Armstrong, Aldrin and their buddies returned from the 'moon', it made me question everything from NASA. They looked like a load of bullied schoolboys lying on behalf of their peers.

Just my opinion of course and I still look forward to seeing the pictures.

You must remember that the Moon Landings took place against the background of the Cold War and were the focus of intense competition between Russia and the USA. If there had been anything made up about the moon landings the Russians would have broadcast it at the time. The Russians are believed to have had several mission failures during their cosmonaut programme [Vladimir Mikhaylovich Komarov was killed when his Soyuz 1 capsule failed to deploy its main parashute on re-entry] which were covered up at the time and the USA had the deaths of Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Senior Pilot Edward H. White, and Pilot Roger Chaffee, were killed in a fire that swept through their Apollo spacecraft cabin during a ground test and later the Shuttle disasters. Why if all this was fabricated for purely prestige purposes would they build in disasters like that?
But that was back then times have changed. The Juno probe was launched on a main rocket which combined Russian and US technology
Juno was launched atop the Atlas V at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. The Atlas V (AV-029) used a Russian-designed and built RD-180 main engine, powered by kerosene and liquid oxygen. At ignition it underwent checkout 3.8 seconds prior to the ignition of five strap-on solid rocket boosters (SRBs).
Hoaxes by purpose are inevitably short term in nature- they need to have immediate effects. All these Interplanetary missions are simply too long in duration to be the brainchild of any rogue group in NASA or shadowy goverment department.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then in all probability it's a duck might surely apply here. :dk:

an amazing achievement, a few months back I was able to view Jupiter through my sons telescope and also see 3 of the 4 moons, breathtaking and how small we are in the universe

an amazing achievement, a few months back I was able to view Jupiter through my sons telescope and also see 3 of the 4 moons, breathtaking and how small we are in the universe

Small indeed...the fact I find most difficult to understand (apart from infinity into the past) is that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on the earth.

I'm guessing Nico Rosberg wan't in charge of the braking manoeuvre ;)

If you want to continue the audio visual experience try downloading NASA Eyes and look at the bigger picture- superb graphics---- https://eyes.nasa.gov/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom