Jury Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Got a letter today to do Jury Service, for the second time! :eek: need to call them as i am soaking up the Mediterranean sun rays on the given date.:)

Is that valid "get-out"?

True, they will give me a different date, exactly the same happened last time.

I've only been asked once, I gave an excuse (I really couldnt do it at the time being self employed) and I've never been asked again in ten years.

What is the expected frequency does anyone know?

I had to do mine 3 days before Xmas when I was 18. :(

Spent a week in an Airport style lounge with nothing to do. Was called up but I was one of the 3 that werent selected :D so the rest of the week was watching daytime telly, what a waste of time!

This was at B'ham Crown Court.

I also did my first stint/waste of time at B'ham crown court at about the age of 19. Never got selected for any jury. Got called a second time about 12 years later (Snaresbrook crown court) - utterly, utterly boring - not even a telly to watch in the jury room, which looked out onto a strip of grass about 12 feet wide and a huge brick wall. You are then locked in for 3 hours at a stretch to amuse yourself.

So for me it was a 12 year gap, but have now had 16 years off for good behaviour. Many don't get called at all; I think it's just the luck of the draw.

Exactly the same as Sp!ke............only mine was almost 30 years ago. Not a peep heard since.

I've never been asked to do jury duty either and I wouldn't mind the call, I'm interested in that kinda thing.

Mind you, on a recent trip through sainsburies, I got asked if I'd be interested in becoming a magistrate! now that could be interesting too.. might investigate that.

I would be happy to get called up. However, as everyone who is taken to court must be guilty, I am not sure I would be the wisest choice.

If I did get into the jury however, the fact I belive that the deterrent should be exaclty that, and as my minimum tarif should be 1000years and the maximum tarrif should be a week longer, and I have no in between, then perhaps I would be the odd one out everytime.

It might get some people to focus on being right thinking, as oppsed to be crims as a quick and easy way to live the low life I should think?

Like your style Scumbag .... perhaps we could sit next to each other on the jury . :rock:

Like your style Scumbag .... perhaps we could sit next to each other on the jury . :rock:

we could. At least it would be over before lunch time, then spend the afternoon traversing a bar somewhere. Unless the judge wants to get through another session of me shouting "Guilty, 1000 years!" everytime I can.

bring back hanging for crimes against MB cars, just because you have a nice car should this make you a target.
If not Hanging then 1000 years will do.Bit of a tin of worms open I think.

I would be happy to get called up. However, as everyone who is taken to court must be guilty, I am not sure I would be the wisest choice.

If I did get into the jury however, the fact I belive that the deterrent should be exaclty that, and as my minimum tarif should be 1000years and the maximum tarrif should be a week longer, and I have no in between, then perhaps I would be the odd one out everytime.

It might get some people to focus on being right thinking, as oppsed to be crims as a quick and easy way to live the low life I should think?

Now, isn't that a curious thing to say. :devil:

Back in May, I got my third citation for jury duty. Prospective jurors were instructed to phone a number after 5pm to ascertain whether or not their services would be required the following day.

The evening before: "No, phone tomorrow"

Next evening - "No, phone tomorrow"

Third evening - ditto. :crazy:

Being an old age pensioner, (;)) my time is my own - and very valuable. No skiving for me and I would only be able to claim my bus fares.

Being pi$$ed off, I posted a late night thread on here which included the flippant comment that the lowlife Weegie bu99er would no doubt be as guilty as hell and I would do my duty - and find him so accordingly. :rolleyes:

The PC powers that be removed my post within 15 minutes :D .

My life, along with a hundred others, was on hold so I phoned the High Court to advise that I was having emergency dental treatment (true). A wee lassie at the other end said "OK" and discharged me!

It makes you think what a complete waste of time and resources the whole process is.

Guilty until proved innocent, I say.

"Send them down"

thats all I want to hear!

"Send them down"

thats all I want to hear!

Alternatively, "Shoot them all and let God sort them out" then walk off dusting your hands knowing it was another job well done and back home for tea and medals.

Mmmm, medals

Scum - do you get medals awarded for turning up at work?

I am the proud owner of 2 medals for doing exactly that, however, I told the boss when he was going to apply for one of them for me, to get a life.

The other one I had no say in and ended up with it. So its now on display in San Francisco, in a firehouse there. (here as it happens)

If medals mean somethign to others, fine, but me, I just get on with it. I do my job as best I can, and that does not deserve a medal.

But if I get a public petition where members of the world vote, or nominate me for a medal, that would be different. and as far as I can see, I will only get one of those if I bring back hanging for MB desertion and banning speed limits and speed cameras!

Oh and bringin back a sense of pride in the country and with that, a degree of social awareness and raising the standard of life to that which makes those who want to ruin it, think again.

But that ain't gonna happen with liberal lefty knowall softies running the country, so I moved to a place where that kind of idiocy has little impact.

Last edited:
But if I get a public petition where members of the world vote, or nominate me for a medal, that would be different. and as far as I can see, I will only get one of those if I bring back hanging for MB desertion and banning speed limits and speed cameras!

Oh and bringin back a sense of pride in the country and with that, a degree of social awareness and raising the standard of life to that which makes those who want to ruin it, think again.

But that ain't gonna happen with liberal lefty knowall softies running the country, so I moved to a place where that kind of idiocy has little impact.

yeah!! But what sort of lunacy is that Mark:D . Nobody else is interested in THAT sort of thing surely:rolleyes:

yeah!! But what sort of lunacy is that Mark:D . Nobody else is interested in THAT sort of thing surely:rolleyes:

Yes, I am quite mad. Mind you, I never said I wasn't.

And another thing, kick 'em when they are down too.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom