Just a tale of 3 W124s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dichtung

Car
W203 2.2Cdi
This tale may, or may not be of interest to W124 diehards on here. Way back in `87, when I was ordering a 190D from an MB dealer in North Yorkshire (nearly a 1 man band), we were chatting, and he happened to mention that there were 3 W124 200Ds at MB Milton Keynes. He sensed that I was interested, so gave to me his contact`s name and phone Nr.
The next day, I rang MB at MK and spoke to this contact. He was polite and informative, and yes, there were indeed 3 200Ds there. 2 saloons and a Kombi, and that they were in the U.K. for an evaluation exercise to determine if they were suitable for U.K. terrain.
They were covered in wax, no hubcaps, all LHD, (Linkslenkers), and as far as he knew, had no other extras.
He asked me which, if any, was of interest and I said a saloon, but all 3 if the price was right. He said all he could do was to contact MB Stuttgart and put it to them, asking if I was prepared to sign a disclaimer.
A couple of days later, true to his word, he rang me to say the answer was a definite no. MB Stutt had decided that the U.K. was generally hilly, and projected sales of the W124 200D would not justify the outlay of offering the 200D alongside the 250D/300D models. So that was that.

p.s. I later, whist on holiday in Germany bought a W124 250D from the MB dealer in Gottingen. An extremely low mileage, 1 owner (Herr Sackmann) used car.
I had it for years, and was ideal being LHD when I lived in Spain. Apart from a couple of RHD headlamp glasses and the usual service items, it cost me nothing, but after about 160k km, it had the makings of the usual W124/201 rear diff. whine. It is the only car that I really really regret selling.

Wonder what became of them .... still collecting cobwebs in a dusty corner of MK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom