Just about to lower my C200T

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

i8000

Car
W202 C200 T Elegance
Hi all,

Just about to order the parts to lower my car (2000 S202 C200 Elegance) just a bit so I can finally fit my 17" alloys. I'm certainly not after a slammed look.
I've pretty much decided on the springs. I'm going with the Eibach Pro-Kit (model 2546.140 - no self levelling if anyone is interested). This will give about a 30mm drop.

I'm also doing the dampers at the same time and am looking at either the Bilsten Sport or Sprint. At the moment I can't decide which ones are more appropriate

The Sport is described as "... for those drivers who prefer a sports suspension but are not particularly interested in lowering the body"
Seeing as I'll be lowering the car, maybe these aren't appropriate.

While the Sprint is described as "The shortened, high-performance shock absorber for lowered sports cars".

(and before anyone says anything, I don't consider my car a sports car either. Just a nice car to ferry my little twins and wife around in safely)

Does anyone have any experience with either damper?

Very interested to hear / see your results .... can't really give you any recommendations on which dampers to go for, sounds like the sprint might be better suited.

Hope it doesn't make things too bumpy for you ... I find that the 17s with the standard Elegance Suspension can make the ride hard enough sometimes !!

S.

I was thinking the Sprints too. I'll wait and see if anyone else replies...

I used sprints on my peugeot before with VERY good results, i lowered that 40mm on 17's, and was surprised that it had any ride quality left at all with the rubber bands on!
I used them with H&R springs and would reccomend them...

This setup replaced a PI set of springs and shocks that i wasnt overly impressed with really...

They should do the job.

Ricky

From what I've read, the H&R springs lower a car quite a bit. Probably more than I require to be honest. Lots of MB owners on the US forums all swear by them. All their cars are quite low.
Good to hear your positive report on the Sprints.

Yeah, eibachs are well known for their amazing progressive rate springs...It would only be a 10mm drop, but that 10mm difference, may just be too much for you.

You wont go wrong with eibach and bilstein (afterall AMG use these!!)

Ricky

I fitted Eibach springs on my 190e 2.0 and left the std shox, it was brilliant. The best mod I did to the car.

I have fitted H&R on my c36, as Eibach coudn't help. I wouldn't say that I have noticed any improvement on the std AMG springs, but I wanted to lower it :D

I would be tempted just to fo the springs and then see if you need shox after. Shocks are easy to fit afterwards aren't they?

Agree with altreed, H&R springs lower the car, but no noticable difference in handling from stock...

Well, definitely going with the Eibach springs. H&R is too much of a drop for my liking.
If I don't change the dampers, wouldn't there be more strain on the standard ones? They'd be more compressed wouldn't they?
Altreed, not doing any of this myself, so I'd rather get the whole lot done in one hit to save further labour charges.

Mamoor, just saw the picture of you car in the "rubbing arches..." thread. Boy that's low, but looks really good.

Last edited:
i8000 said:
If I don't change the dampers, wouldn't there be more strain on the standard ones? They'd be more compressed wouldn't they?

It doesn't make any difference. Dampers are pistons riding in a tube of oil. Some have inert gas as opposed to air in the dead space t reduce foaming, but they can all be used from full extension to full compression.
The sprint dampers are only required to stiffen the ride and so they don't bottom out and to reduce roll. They shouldn't bottom anyway because the spring will be fully compressed before that point.

The only caveat to this is that the standard dampers may be progressive with a comfort zone in the centre of travel. Try the car on standard dampers, if you don't like it you can then fit new ones.

Interesting to hear that Dieselman. I have a bit more to think about now.

Car's booked in to have the Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers fitted by George Fraser. Still thinking about the dampers though. Despite many of you advising to keep the standard dampers, I think I'll get the Bilstein Sprints. Car's got just a bit over 50k on the clock and while I'm sure that I'll probably get some more mileage out of them, I'd rather have the springs and dampers changed at the same time.

I look forward to seeing the results. I am very tempted to get Eibach or H&R springs for my saloon - but looking at other factors including cost, may just go with springs for now and see how I go.

@i8000 - Do you know whether the springs / dampers that you are having fitted are specific to the estate ? Or are they suitable for either saloon or Estate ?

Before and after pictures please :D

S.

Sym, springs and dampers are specific to the estate. The Eibach springs part number 2546.140 fit these model variants - S202 (Estate) C180, C200, C200 K, C220, C230, C230 K, C200 TD, C200 CDI, C220 TD, C220 CDI. There are other part numbers specific to the estate with automatic ride height adjustment and saloons. The Eibach website has an application guide that will tell you exactly what you need -

http://www.eibach.de/frame.inc.php?SPA=1&C_lang=en&LID1=2&LID2=4&LID3=0

As for the dampers, same story. They are specific to the estate. Again the Bilstein website has an application guide to help you -

http://katalog.bilstein.de/

There are 3 types of Bilsteins to choose. B4, B6 and B8. The B4's are just direct replacement of your original shocks. The B6 Sports are from what I can work out, are just a bit firmer. The B8 Sprint (or what they call Sports in the US) are for vehicles which have been lowered. Also have a look at the Bilsten FAQ's. It's quite good.

http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/faq.php3

Our cars are the same so if I have chosen correctly, you should have no problems in copying.

GrahamC230K, I'm chosing Eibach over H&R because I don't wish to drop my car too much. As simple as that. H&R will drop about 40mm, Eibach about 30. I think this is also dependant on how much lower your car is in the first place (i.e. Elegance, Avantgarde etc.) Oh, also, everyone says that the MB springs are Eibach anyway. That's good enough for me to choose them. The same with the Bilsteins by the way.

Cost for fitting the springs and dampers is under £400 - this is not including the parts by the way. The cheapest place I've founds for the Eibach springs for me is £159.38 at http://www.eibachshop.co.uk. As for the dampers, I'm still really looking. At http://www/motorsportworld.co.uk they are £371.34 for four. I'll see if they can do a deal on both.

Pictures in the next few weeks... Damn, I have to wash the car now.

May have to postpone the fitment of the new suspension. After speaking to motorsportworld, the most suitable dampers are the Bilstein Sports and they are a special order from Bilstein in Germany.

I've waited a month already, a few more weeks won't hurt (much...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom