Just an expert confirmation needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonc63

Hi guys

Appreciate this has been done before BUT can I get a confirmation that the following work I'm about to get done on my C63 wagon is:-

1)Worthwhile
2)Not going to lose OEM drivability
3)Correct products

I've ordered the HR lowering springs which I believe is 20mm all round drop. HR spacers 10mm all round with longer bolts (obviously). Also having a Milltek secondary cat bypass done, not touching the primary or the resonators.

I don't want a 'slammed' look, just slightly lower, slightly better stance from rear/aggressive and increased devils fart noise but I do NOT want a car that sounds like a boy racer who has a hole in the exhaust if his 40 yr old Clio.

Please advise if that is the correct products and method. It's being done locally by a tuning garage for around £1100.

Thanks!!!

Your going for quality products so sounds ok. Not to sure about the spacers but each to there own. Miltek cat delete is something I'd like to do.

Cheers. Spacers look good,nothing stupid but see the guys on here have it done and with proper bolt set I think it just fills the arch better

Post up some pics when u've had it done. I want to do the cat delete on mine but need to find someone who can do it right. Doing it wrong can cause a restriction.

Agree about the spacers. Not had any on the C63 - but have on a few previous cars and although they are aesthetically pleasing they didn't maintain the drivability. Felt a little wobbly TBH.

I know Phil@Rebellion has lowered his C63 coupe a little and it looks good. I'm sure if you search a little on here you'll find how low he went. (its the Red Coupe with 540ish BHP)

AMD in Essex are doing mine next week. They have done loads of secondary cat deletes with the Milltek pipe and lots of c63 reviews seem fine.

I want OEM feel on the performance or else I'm not getting it done. Had my e92 M3 Eibach lowered and 12mm spaced and had no issues at all.

We shall see!!!

Provided you have proper spacers fitted you will have no issues with them. Once locked in place they are no different to the standard set up reference movement. I ran 15mm rears and 10mm fronts on my CLS with circa 580bhp with no issues whatsoever.

Jules.

Cyclone1 said:
Provided you have proper spacers fitted you will have no issues with them. Once locked in place they are no different to the standard set up reference movement. I ran 15mm rears and 10mm fronts on my CLS with circa 580bhp with no issues whatsoever. Jules.

Thanks Jules, hopefully this is what I experience. I was with the guy when he looked up the HR springs and the he ordered the 10mm spacers from HR and then found the longer bolts which HR sell for the spacers. So I feel confident enough but just wanted to check with other members :)

I had mine lowered 10mm (KW suspension) and it looked just right.

20mm might make the ride a bit harder than stock.

Cant comment on the cat delete. I had mine removed and fitted a valved exhaust (IPE) which is quieter than stock with the valve closed and sounds like a monster with the valve open.

Considering spacers myself so i will be interested in your thoughts (and photos) once fitted

How did the urban myth arise which suggested that cars which have incredibly low ride height are in some way more aggressive ?

Not only are they less able to hold the road with that much camber but they also have reduced clearance for speed bumps and gutters. So have to be nursed over uneven surfaces.

Sounds more like a sissy car to me.

Say whaaaaaaat ????

Attachments

• smileys-cz-2.gif
    smileys-cz-2.gif
    7 KB · Views: 176
miro said:
How did the urban myth arise which suggested that cars which have incredibly low ride height are in some way more aggressive ? Not only are they less able to hold the road with that much camber but they also have reduced clearance for speed bumps and gutters. So have to be nursed over uneven surfaces. Sounds more like a sissy car to me.

Not so much an urban myth just personal preference. I think a slightly more squat car with a lowered stance looks better.

Even at 20mm drop it's not exactly as low as an R8/911 so clearance should not be an issue or I've never had an issue. I slow down for speed bumps anyway which i guess is the whole point of them...

I'm now just debating if £400 is worth it for sec cat d as the car is loud enough. I have 6 days to decide.

Simon where are you based?

Is your car re-mapped, a re-map actually changes the noise of the car quite a bit with plenty more growl and pops and bangs on the over run.

Lee C63 said:
Simon where are you based? Is your car re-mapped, a re-map actually changes the noise of the car quite a bit with plenty more growl and pops and bangs on the over run.

Essex Lee, so was heading to AMD next week for drop and space. I could opt for remap instead of sec cat d as it's same price. Just had wheels redone last few days to dark anthracite to match the car. Can't wait till next week :)

Are there many gains with a remap? Do they add much to the bhp?

Simon it depends on what bhp your car is stock. If it's a 457 version expect to see gains that will gage it to 510-520 with a Eurocharged re-map.
I would definitely go down the route of a re-map before a cat delete.

Simon,

Speak with Andy at PCS or Acid at MSL as they have Jerry from Eurocharged over for a GTG and Dyno day. Jerry is the man for doing a re-map and as far as i am aware they are doing the re-maps at a discounted price.

Free upgrades with Eurocharged so if they improve the map they give you it for nothing. Currently at Version 4 i believe.

Car is back and i think it looks and sounds quality. Guys at AMD did a really good job, no rubbing on arches or when turning sharply. They even proved it by putting 3 guys in the back while I drove it round the corner. No issues at all and the 20mm drop and 10mm space is just right. Anything wider and I think I may have issues. Already taken the car on a 100 mile return journey and have noticed no difference with bumps, uneven roads etc so its how i wanted it, as close to OEM as possible as I didn't want to lose the essence of the car or its handling.

Secondary Cat delete was my main concern and I have to say I'm delighted with it. Like I said previously I didn't want it to sound like I had a hole in the exhaust. At tick over and 'normal' driving its as normal, maybe a tad pounder but when you give the pedal a bit then it opens up and like I'm sure the boffins at Affalterbach AMG would have liked it to sound if they didn't have to conform to regulations in Europe and abroad.

After previously having a C63 Coupe I was really tempted to go for the new RS4 as I think it looks more aggressive and wider from the back than the C63. The sound of the AMG wins hands down and is a much more involving drive and for me that took preference when deciding on the next car. I personally wanted these mods carried out on the wagon as I think it makes it sleeker and gives it a more squat/aggressive 360' look which meant I removed my own personal perceived negatives when comparing the C63 and RS4 and gives me the best of both worlds.

Pictures to follow

Hopefully you can see the drop/space difference of my C63 Wagon. No rubbing and ride is as OEM as previous and I love the changes.

Before

image-2826587161.jpg

image-3178354238.jpg

After

image-705985809.jpg

image-3321051699.jpg

image-4244155829.jpg

image-3176275055.jpg

image-2255819357.jpg

image-3691741044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back