Just another n00b

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Germgh0st

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW G20 M340i
Hey all. I'm Sean, 47 from South Shields. For the past five years I've had a Mk3 Focus ST (three of them in fact) and I love them, in my opinion the best bang for buck car in it's sector.

Just over a year ago my dad passed away and left me able to pay off my debts, including car finance, buy my house outright from my landlord and move up a car class.

My bucket list car has always been an Audi RS3. However with the emission regulations they have not been available since October, and there's a good chance that they won't come back for various reasons. My second option was the new A45, which isn't available yet. So I thought I'd have a look at at some more 'grown up' options and maybe move from hooning around in a hatchback to something a little more luxurious whilst still having enough under my right foot to put a smile on my face.

The Jaguar XE 300 Sport was first and, whilst I didn't get to test drive that actual model, it was very nice. Too nice. Uninvolving. Boring.

On Saturday I test drove a C43. Unlike the Jag it felt big and will take me a while to get used to. However the cabin was a very nice place to sit in and I loved the car. Especially the sound when I floored it, and especially in Sport+ mode, and especially considering it had the standard exhaust and not the AMG version that I would opt for. With my foot on the floor it felt like it just wanted to keep going and going and going and didn't want me to stop. The thing I liked the most - no torque steer while I did this!

The C43 ticks a lot, if not all, of the boxes for me. It has the matrix style headlights of the RS3 which I lust after (yeah sad I know!), I can have it with a pano roof, it has similar power figures and is just a little slower then the RS3 to 60 - although if the RS3 does come back it'll no doubt have a PPF and be slightly down on power. It has AWD, but better than quattro it's rear biased so I get the 'feel' of a rear wheel drive sports car but the safety and stability of AWD. It even has the digital dash and whilst this isn't as good as Audi's virtual cockpit it is a proper dash, not a flat 'stuck on' screen like in the A and E class. The other screen still looks stuck on, and I wish Mercedes would do the whole 'disappears into the dashboard' thing that Audi do on the 3 series, and I wish it was angled slightly towards the driver to make it a little easier to catch with the corner of the eye. But that was my only gripe, that and the way the gearbox changes down as you slow down which seemed more jerky than it needed to be. But that's what you get with a torque converter gearbox I suppose.

So now the C43 is a serious contender I thought I'd join a Mercedes forum, and this seemed like the most popular, to see people's opinions and experiences with the C43 to help make my decision :)

Hi, The new RS3 might well have rear-biassed 4WD, but NO Audi so far has ever had adjustability on the limit, and I can't see this changing. Lift-off oversteer doesn't count. It's no good to anyone but the bodyshop or undertakers...

Most new cars are impressive on a quick blast around the block, (even French ones), but a few weeks in, you'll need a car with a handling repertoire, and an Audi (for all their good points) will never have that.

Looks like you've already made the right decision.

Welcome to the forum Sean:thumb:
It reads like you have a pretty good idea what you are looking for in your next car. The RS3 is a fine car but.........a bit bland like most Audis I have been in.
Don't know what your budget is but maybe a used C63 might interest you?:banana:

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum!

The RS3 on its current manufacturing platform is a Haldex AWD system. It is not rear biased and will not be rear biased going forward as far as i can tell. The outgoing A45 is also based on a Haldex AWD system.

The C43 is a lot of car for its money and unless you are going second hand, the facelift c63 looks very pricey. A second hand pre-facelift c63 with intelligent lighting may be enough to fulfill your matrix lighting fetish. The facelift 43 will have even more advanced lights if ticked as an option ;)... I've had some fellows with a lights fetish ask me whether the initial blue tint (before the strip turns white) on the daytime running lights when i unlock the car was an aftermarket thing, but they get surprised when i tell them it is stock. The headlamps also do a bit of a dance when they turn on, which, i'm sure, in turn, is a turn on, for those with a strong lighting fetish.

For the best priced 63, the W204 reigns supreme when it comes to purchase price. Most of the depreciation is done and dusted and you can get sub 25k specimens which is a bargain for such a future classic machine, with such a legendary engine...

I wasn't actually saying the RS3 was rear biased AWD, but that the C43 was which made it better :) I can't really stretch to a C63 nor do I think I can live with it wanting to rip my face off every day lol. My ST has adaptive bi-xenons which are excellent, they do a bit of a dance on start up too.

I wasn't actually saying the RS3 was rear biased AWD, but that the C43 was which made it better :) I can't really stretch to a C63 nor do I think I can live with it wanting to rip my face off every day lol. My ST has adaptive bi-xenons which are excellent, they do a bit of a dance on start up too.

agreed, I'm aware your rear biased comment was more about the characteristics of the c43 system. The 63 is ofcourse a money pit. the C43 is plenty good especially given its price diff vs the 63 is so significant.

I assume the ST lights also change angle as you're cornering by pointing into the corner ? I had a car with adaptive bixenons and was very impressed with them.

Hi and welcome, you not a thousand miles away from me. good luck with the car hunt.

agreed, I'm aware your rear biased comment was more about the characteristics of the c43 system. The 63 is ofcourse a money pit. the C43 is plenty good especially given its price diff vs the 63 is so significant.

I assume the ST lights also change angle as you're cornering by pointing into the corner ? I had a car with adaptive bixenons and was very impressed with them.

They move sideways when cornering and the beam pattern also changes - wide and short for country roads and narrow and long for motorways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom