Just Been Burgled, They also tried Steeling the ML320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedes cozy

Car
Mercedes ML 320 CDI W164 KEYLESS GO / (NOW WITH STAR)
WARNING DO NOT BE A VICTIM LIKE ME.

Theives managed to get in from the front UPVC front door of my home. At about 3am this morning.

Police told me that they use a device through the letter box to push the inside door lever in. If I had locked the door with a key inside then there would have been no problem.

Silly me I didn't even put the alarm on down stairs :doh:.

They were looking for the keys to my Mercedes ML320CDI. They couldn't find it because I had put the keys in a safe place. Anyway I still have a tracker on Mercedes.

But they stole the keys to my wifes VW Polo and they stole the spare one as well while looking for the keys to the Mercedes.

I was told by the police that they may come back to steel the VW polo.:devil:

I can't do much at the moment to stop them from steeling the VW polo as they have both of the keys. But what I have done is let the tyres down if they wanna come back.

Trouble is I can even get another key for the car as they may come back again as they have both keys to my wifes VW polo.

I have now put my alarm on down stairs and double locked my doors. Lesson learn't:doh:.

PLEASE DON'T be a victim like me, secure your keys and put the alarm on your house before you go to sleep. Put your keys in a safe place.

I don't realy care about the cars but it has upset my family.:mad:

Can anyone suggest what I can do about the VW polo key?

God know what else would have happened. My wife had to go to the bathroom at 3am and noticed a gush of cold air coming up the stairs. She screemed as she saw the front door wide open and trust me its not something that someone wants to hear at 3 am in the morning. I woke up and she told me that someone is down stairs :eek::eek::eek:. I ran down stairs in the house but they had ran off.

Then I called the police.

Sorry to read this, very disturbing news indeed.

You could jack the the VW up and put it on to axle stands?

Last edited:
Just found out that the locks can easily be picked by a method called bumping.

I'm going get some anti bumping locks to fit my upvc front door and back door, even if its expensive i don't care especially after what happened.

Bumping process can be seen on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDR-DBQRfI&feature=related

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of this.

A colleague of mine had his locks bumped and they stole his Audi. Well worth fitting the anti-bump locks.

As for the Polo, your insurers should cover having the locks of the car changed. I know when my mums keys were stolen from their home BMW were able to program the car to de-activate the stolen key and do something with the rolling code / immobiliser.

take the fuel pump relay out, they will not be able to start it.

sry to hear whats happened, it seems to be getting more and more common.

Sorry to hear of this.

A colleague of mine had his locks bumped and they stole his Audi. Well worth fitting the anti-bump locks.

As for the Polo, your insurers should cover having the locks of the car changed. I know when my mums keys were stolen from their home BMW were able to program the car to de-activate the stolen key and do something with the rolling code / immobiliser.

Thanks, that sounds re-assuring that I can get a new key and de-activate the old remotes.

I will ring VW this moring when they open.

I would recomend all to have anti bump locks

take the fuel pump relay out, they will not be able to start it.

sry to hear whats happened, it seems to be getting more and more common.

Thanks, but the situation is that they stole both keys and I can't open the car and going to call the dealers this morning.

My son has been so scared by this that he will not even go to the toilet even.

Sorry to hear about your break in. :(

Interesting video, I'd previously read about 'raking' but bumping was a new concept for me.

One of the videos that came up on the back of the one you linked was this one about a fluid treatment for locks, probably just gunks them up a bit so they don't rattle when bumped.

YouTube - How to Stop Lock Bumping WIthout New Locks

I'd expect the same effect can be achieved using engine oil etc.

Ian.

I can't afford to take any risks after what has happened and I'm going to buy the anti bumping locks today.

I would recomend anyone who does not have anti bump lock to buy them and fit them. Fitting only take £5 minutes.

Beware I have just done a google search on Lock bumping and any tom **** and harry can buy the bumping kits online.

Sorry to hear about it

fit a PIR light above the front entrance, this way all will be illuminated if they come back and hopefully they will be seen.

STOP!!!, one of the things I do is im also a locksmith, I can understand you are totally furious about the break in but if your locks haven't been bumped why do you want to change them??, bumping, raking and any other technique for picking locks is a skill that has to be practiced and what doesnt come across in alot of the vids you see online is the amount of noise involved, If they have opened the door through the letterbox its because it makes almost no noise. Im pm'ing you my number, give ma a call before you spend any money.....

Thanks, but the situation is that they stole both keys and I can't open the car and going to call the dealers this morning.

My son has been so scared by this that he will not even go to the toilet even.

Taking out the fuel pump relay is a grand idea However I doubt if they return they would attempt to start it on the drive they are far more likley to pust it onto the road & roll it away from your house BEFORE attempting to start it.

Two things Either park the ML BEHIND the Polo or Put SOMETHING there to prevent it from being moved They've had what they want out of it already so IF they return they will more than likley just do a "drive-by" see its blocked in & just bugger off

You haven't mentioned your house keys..........they wasn't on the ring with the Polo keys were they ?????

The trouble with preventing "Bumping" is the only "CHEAP" way to prevent it is to leave a key half turned in the lock (thus making the barrell "Out of Line" from the outside) attach the key to a small chain adjacent to the door & fit a "Locked Flap" on yer letterbox.

The other thing is to fit an outside Mail box (obviously if the door letter flap is locked the postman will be unable to deliver yer post)

You have my sympathies on this it is NOT NICE especially as its obviously effecting both your wife & Son.

You haven't mentioned your house keys..........they wasn't on the ring with the Polo keys were they ????? QUOTE said:
The house keys were with the polo keys and thats why I need to change the locks as well and I'm going to fit anti bump locks.

Thanks

You haven't mentioned your house keys..........they wasn't on the ring with the Polo keys were they ????? QUOTE said:
The house keys were with the polo keys and thats why I need to change the locks as well and I'm going to fit anti bump locks.

Thanks

OH CRAP!!! Yeah your gonna HAVE to change the locks so your right you may as well fit the Anti-Bump locks at the same time Insurance SHOULD cover it though so it won't "HURT" too much

I'd still lock yer letter box though

STOP!!!, one of the things I do is im also a locksmith, I can understand you are totally furious about the break in but if your locks haven't been bumped why do you want to change them??, bumping, raking and any other technique for picking locks is a skill that has to be practiced and what doesnt come across in alot of the vids you see online is the amount of noise involved, If they have opened the door through the letterbox its because it makes almost no noise. Im pm'ing you my number, give ma a call before you spend any money.....

A week ago there was a letter from the police I remember seeing, it said that houses were being targeted in the area and were advised to double lock all upvc doors as they were entering the house by the undouble locked doors. The front door has signs off bumping and my own original key has problems turning the lock.

I want to go that extra mile and fit the anti bump lock.

All this happened while i was asleep and luckily my wife was up going to the loo. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

Very sorry to hear about your break in.

I guess I'd be speaking to the insurance company about the Polo to see if they'll pay for replacement locks?

Probably opportunist thieves, saw a newish/expensive car (ML) and tried their luck with finding the keys. I'm sure they'll be looking elsewhere now.

Are you also sure that nothing else has been taken? Any of your possesions from downstairs - phones/laptops etc?

Did the Police send forensics over to check for fingerprints etc.

Hope it all gets sorted.

Will

Very sorry to hear about this.

Go to halfords and get a wheel clamp for the polo... then book it in to VW to have the locks changed... the house insurance should cover this.. check with them.

OH CRAP!!! Yeah your gonna HAVE to change the locks so your right you may as well fit the Anti-Bump locks at the same time Insurance SHOULD cover it though so it won't "HURT" too much

I'd still lock yer letter box though

If anyone has the same thing happen to them, insurance wont cover because they said its not a forced entry. BEWARE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom