Just Bought a Pagoda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liquid silver

Car
CL63 bi turbo, R231 500SL, S Class W222, 300SL R107. 500SL R129
Went to Essen this year and saw a gorgeous 230SL. Couldn't resist buying it as I thought it was very reasonably priced considering it is a total nut and bolt restoration. Had the dealers fit power steering as Pagoda's can be heavy up front. Everything at Essen seems to be in telephone numbers, don't no where they get their valuation from. I expect that they just put a silly price on and hope some mug comes along and pays it. Picking it up from Calais on Thursday weather looking good, can't wait getting very excited.

Paul

moonloops said:
What a coincidence, as I have just bought a Gazebo :D Oh didn't you mean a Pergola ?? :doh:

Very good....(!)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Hope it's a good one, there are a lot of turkeys around!

Mr Setright always said the 230 was the one to have : best engine and a proper suspension .

Pics please... from a fellow pagoda owner and lover... can never have enough pics of a pagoda.

Picked the car up from Calais yesterday, but noticed a few paint issues and dealer failed to fit seat belts as agreed. Anyway, drove the car home some 200 miles during which time the car ran well cruising at 65-70 on the A1. Then got caught up in a traffic jam. When slowing down engine started to hunt badly almost on the verge of stalling. When pulling away would cough and splutter but eventually picked up and drove sweetly once more. With my limited mechanical knowledge I put this down to a fuel injection problem which hopefully could be fixed quite easily. This car certainly commands attention, lots rubber necking, waves and smiles.
Anyway, thought I would give it a quick once over today and noticed pIntwork problems. After I bought at Essen I had a call on the Monday morning to say that during removal from the exhibition a Bentley backed into it bending the bumper and breaking a headlight. I was assured that the repairs would be as good as new but if I wanted to cancel I could do so but decided to go ahead.
This morning I thought I would give it a quick once over and was surprised to see that when they resprayed the roof they didn't remove the bright work but just masked up leaving surplus paint on the chrome. This also applied to the wheel trims. All this took the edge of the experience. I contacted the dealer who was very apologetic and has agreed that if I wanted to cancel he would come over to collect the car and give me a full refund. My heart tells me to keep her but my head says send her back , what would you do? If someone can tell me how to post pics or gives me their email and post for me I can put you all out of your missery.

Just to say that if I do decide to get my money back I would be re investing it in a new Corvette C7. That may have be a deciding factor in whatever replies you guys might give.

Paul

Cancel it.

You will keep finding issues - no excuse whatsoever for poor mechanical condition and lousy paintwork, that speaks to some serious skimping all round.

(I speak from the experience of owning a number of cars with issues!).

Oh dear, a sorry tale. Unfortunately, if the car's not right you're probably best to send it back - I don't know what you consider "reasonable" but there's no such thing as an inexpensive Pagoda these days, so I'm guessing you shelled out quite a lot.

I don't think my choice of replacement would be a C7, but apparently it's quite a beasty. Good luck whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Gaz

At the money you shelled out, I would suggest telling the dealer you want to cancel, and see what they say next. I figure they might offer a discount so they dont have to go through the hassle, and if the number is enough it might be worth keeping.

I presume you originally purchased a top notch l/h/d car at top money? If so, get a refund. The only downside I see is you won't have invested in an iconic car that can only rise in value rather than fall.

Cancel it.

You will keep finding issues - no excuse whatsoever for poor mechanical condition and lousy paintwork, that speaks to some serious skimping all round.

(I speak from the experience of owning a number of cars with issues!).

That's the way I feel it has taken the edge off. I know that all these things can be overcome but when you pay serious money for a 50 year old car I do expect one that has been fully sorted.

Oh dear, a sorry tale. Unfortunately, if the car's not right you're probably best to send it back - I don't know what you consider "reasonable" but there's no such thing as an inexpensive Pagoda these days, so I'm guessing you shelled out quite a lot.

I don't think my choice of replacement would be a C7, but apparently it's quite a beasty. Good luck whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Gaz

I know that I will lose money on the Corvettte at resale and the Pagoda will only increase in value in the long term, but we all know that buying cars is not always about making a profit (rarely is) but also about the enjoyment. I have had 5 vets in the past the last one a C6 Grand Sport which I loved so I know what I am getting into.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom