Just bought a W169. =]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I have just bought a W169, 180, Auto 2009.

Folding mirrors and parktronic are the optional extras.

The car says it requires a C - Service in 5850miles.

Now, I have not bought it from the Mercedes Approved Scheme, however from Glyn Hopkins, Nissan.

I said not too worry, leave the service in case I need to do any warranty work and MB reject the car.

Glyn Hopkins have informed me they will not let the car leave until they have serviced it because it is company policy. Should this be okay with MB?

Furthermore, It has the dreaded rusty wheel bolts :(

Will I have a claim if the vehicle is serviced outisde the dealer network?

Lastly, is there anything else I should check? It has a couple of scratches, but hey it is used.

Thoughts please?

dokalj

If they insist on servicing it , just ask them not to stamp the service book.

Tell them to swing on the service, they are just trying to get extra cash and the service indicator isn't even half way down yet.

if they are doing it for free and insist then have it done, but as H says, no stamp.

Thanks, Howard and Dieselman :)

Do you think they will agree to that, or will they say it is company policy?

Also, would a vehicle of this age have the electronic service booklet?

I did notice on the test drive there was a noise from the back when going around the roundabout, warped disk?

Is there anything I should get looked at? The local MB dealership is on the same road.

dokalj

Or call their bluff and tell them that you emphatically DO NOT want them to service it and this if they do , the deal is off.

Draw up a waiver stating that you don't want the service done , that you will arrange it yourself and you accept full responsibility.

Then pray that the doors / wheels don't fall off like a clown car as you drive off the forecourt :D

Or call their bluff and tell them that you emphatically DO NOT want them to service it and this if they do , the deal is off.

Draw up a waiver stating that you don't want the service done , that you will arrange it yourself and you accept full responsibility.

Then pray that the doors / wheels don't fall off like a clown car as you drive off the forecourt :D

I tried those, they replied with what I didn't want to hear :( lol

I really do like the car.

The salesman insisted that if their servicing affected the warranty in any way, he would walk to the showroom and confront them about it. He said they do not own the monopoly...I see his point but I don't want to throw Mobilo and the rust warranty out of the window.

I really want those wheel bolts replacing, they look terrible!!!

Won't the Nissan dealer just run it round to an MB dealer and get it serviced there, or at an MB dealer within the group that owns the Nissan Franchise?

If not, advise them

1. Its over 5 k miles until it needs done and as such arguable its not being maintained within MB intervals and that they should release it to you, and you service it at MB and they re-imburse you....
2. If they insist, they can service it at MB for you, at their expense.

Unfortunately they do not own a mercedes dealership.

He said genuine MB parts would be used, I am not convinced.

He said *** that would never happen, even if they are next door :(

The C-service is just a B-service correct? MB are doing them for £375 near me.

What are the chances of MB picking the car up and doing a health-check for me? very low?

For Mobilo to be in force the car has to be serviced at an approved workshop within 24 months of the last one, so if it has had one service just get it done within the time period again.

Ask the Salesman how he will get MB to stand by the Mobilo warranty, which is for 30 years and does have conditions attached.

Do you have to pay for the service, if so I'm sure this is just a ploy to ream you.

For Mobilo to be in force the car has to be serviced at an approved workshop within 24 months of the last one, so if it has had one service just get it done within the time period again.

Ask the Salesman how he will get MB to stand by the Mobilo warranty, which is for 30 years and does have conditions attached.

Do you have to pay for the service, if so I'm sure this is just a ploy to ream you.

Okay, I will do.

Nope the service is included.

They said they want to ensure the fluids are correct and they do not want any problems.

I am waiting on the service history from their head office because they do not keep the log books in their branch. The deal is dependent on this history.

If the vehicle was involved in a accident is the mobilo invalid anyway, due to paint thicknesses?

The car says it requires a C - Service in 5850miles.

That doest mean anything, they are on fixed yearly service. Tomorrow the indicator could change to next service due in 30 days if it was last serviced August 2010. You need to check when the last service was.

The 2nd year service will be a B service + 2 extra items: brake fluid change and pollen filter change. If you service with main dealer you will have to get the extras done to get a stamp in the book.

Let the Nissan dealer service the car but tell then they can just top up any fluids that need doing so and not to remove any original filters in the car and not stamp the service book if it has one. I think a 2009 one will have a electronic service record.

Mobilo is valid for 4 years from date of registration. It then renews for a year each time the car has a service at a main dealer.

Last edited:
That doest mean anything, they are on fixed yearly service. Tomorrow the indicator could change to next service due in 30 days if it was last serviced August 2010. You need to check when the last service was.

The 2nd year service will be a B service + 2 extra items: brake fluid change and pollen filter change. If you service with main dealer you will have to get the extras done to get a stamp in the book.

Let the Nissan dealer service the car but tell then they can just top up any fluids that need doing so and not to remove any original filters in the car and not stamp the service book if it has one. I think a 2009 one will have a electronic service record.

Mobilo is valid for 4 years from date of registration. It then renews for a year each time the car has a service at a main dealer.

Hi npuk, Thanks.

So to confirm, I want them to just change the oil and engine filter and top up everything else? Also insist that the book is not stamped, if there is one?

An interesting one this. I would also insist that the Service is done at an Mercedes Dealer. I believe that they've declined to do this?

My father once bought a Jag from a Mercedes dealer and they wanted to service it. We insisted that it had to be done by the local Jaguar dealership and that the number plates had to be made by the Jaguar dealership (plate transfer too!). They did this without any hassle.

As others have stated I would insist that the service book is not stamped at all. They are correct that the non-franchised service shouldn't have an impact on MB Warranty (but the bit they don't understand is that Mobilo cover & the Paint Warranty IS dependent on a full Mercedes history).

If the car is under 3 years old surely block exemption applies ? As long as merc parts are used..

Yeah block exemption applies, however why does MB insist the service has to be with them, I don't see why it affects Mobilo and the paint?

I am sure they will not use MB parts. They will use parts that meet the specification. However imo it is false to claim them as genuine.

I will see what the local MB dealer says, however they have not been that helpful in the past.

Where does everyone think I stand if I ask MB to do a free health check, is it likely the Nissan dealer will allow them to check it before I pay the remainder?

Lastly, if it materialises that the first service was not done by MB, should I walk?

Sorry to go on, I asked Mercedes to confirm if there was a service performed in the dealer network and was told due to data protection reasons they can not comment. It was the same when I got the ML. Is this MBs way of trying to get us to buy within the approved used scheme and are there anyways round this?

Does anyone have access to the service records via the 'service & parts web portal'?

dokalj

An interesting one this. I would also insist that the Service is done at an Mercedes Dealer. I believe that they've declined to do this?

My father once bought a Jag from a Mercedes dealer and they wanted to service it. We insisted that it had to be done by the local Jaguar dealership and that the number plates had to be made by the Jaguar dealership (plate transfer too!). They did this without any hassle.

As others have stated I would insist that the service book is not stamped at all. They are correct that the non-franchised service shouldn't have an impact on MB Warranty (but the bit they don't understand is that Mobilo cover & the Paint Warranty IS dependent on a full Mercedes history).

What is the likely hood MB would write a nice letter to Glyn Hopkins? Or due you think Glyn Hopkin will throw it in the bin? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom